Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wine Country Century 5/6/2006

http://www.srcc.com/

I haven't been able to ride much the last week and I'm deep in the doldrums. Haven't been doing any climbing but I've got a 7 straight days of mtbiking in the middle of April coming up.

Can the bod be ready for a double metric with only 4,500' of climbing? Oh, I'm feeling old (insomnia all night is not recommended).

V, which one are you doing?

I did the metric on the old course back in the late 80s. Be nice to see it again. Off to go count weekends.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I'll do the 200 K most likely.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

We did the double metric last year and are doing it again this year. It is a beautiful double metric. Most of the climbing is in the first half - you do the easier side of Coleman Valley Road, which is absolutely gorgeous. The SRCC website is wrong on the elevation for the double metric, though. It was 7300 on my HAC4 which is pretty darned accurate. (It measured Death Ride at 13,000, which I think is more accurate than what they say on the website.) So there's a lot of climbing, but it is over with fairly soon.

I think the metric and century options cut out a lot of the climbing. I know they don't do Coleman. Which is a shame.

SK, I think you should try the double metric. It is just so pretty. (The rest of it is nice, too.) I know it's been tough to get on the bike as much as any of us would like in this weather. But if you pace yourself well, you should be fine.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I can't believe I'm still considering this but I really want to do a double metric this year. I have to get in metrics both of the next two weekends to hit this target and the weather and other things are not being considerate.

Don't you love it in this age of technology when they can't get the climbing right? Does the Dble Metric cross paths with the 100 somewhere (or have a figure-8 loop) so I could shorten the ride if I'm not up to it? It's a big help to have the climbing at the beginning.

Thanks, Sarah.

Sarah

You ought to just give it (the double metric) a shot.

We (DH and friends) rode the DM and DH's sister Kelly rode the regular century (I think. She may have done the single metric, but I don't think so). We started with her, and then split off in Occidental where we (DM only - not century or metric) we over Coleman Valley Rd. to the coast, up through Monte Rio. At that point, we joined up with Kelly again (century course, and were with her up through Dry Creek). I can't remember where she went at the lunch stop at Lake Sonoma, because neither DH nor I rode with her through the last part of the ride. She may have had a shorter route that didn't take her to the lake.

I think you could shorten it even after doing the whole Coleman loop. It is worth doing the Coleman loop because there's no prettier road anywhere (except descending Old Howell Mtn. Rd. in Napa).

So sign up for the DM and see how your day goes.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Thanks, knowing that there is a point I can change my mind helps.

I have to get some hills in!!! By this time last year, the girls had talked me into riding Diablo and Placerville stuff several times.

I know, I know. Hills on mtbikes don't phase me. On the road is another story. Now, I'm just working on re-writing the story so they match.

I'm insane. Off the bike for well over a month, I've signed up for the 100k.

snap "dead on the roadside" dragen

Although I signed us up for the century (in a spurt of irrational optimism), Mr. LeeBob and I talked it over and at this point we're more likely to opt for the metric instead.

They'd let us switch, wouldn't they ? Gawd I hope so ...

- jo "survival instinct intact" bob

The cost was the same for the metric and the full century, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Good you and LeeBob can wait for me at Chalk Hill, then bungee me to your bikes........

Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    Although I signed us up for the century (in a spurt of irrational optimism), Mr. LeeBob and I talked it over and at this point we're more likely to opt for the metric instead.

They'd let us switch, wouldn't they ? Gawd I hope so ...

- jo "survival instinct intact" bob

It's a deal !

Oooh... there's a bungee option? Wow! Maybe I could actually do this ride, if not for my schedule!!

Oh man, the ride is closed. I was thinking that since I'm not going to Central Coast, I could do this. Oh well. You snooze, you lose.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    Oh man, the ride is closed. I was thinking that since I'm not going to Central Coast, I could do this. Oh well. You snooze, you lose.

V.
    Bummer!

Hey, you still ought to come to our 5/27 Skaggs ride. Even if you're not doing TT this year, it might be good "recon" for next year. That's what I'm thinking! Also, we've got a great 120 miler planned for June 10. Nice Marin route that will actually be good training for you now that you've decided to do the Mt. Tam Double. Oh - and we're doing our Pine Flat/Geysers ride again June 25...

So many "fun" rides! Come join us!
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

I'm still on the fence about Tam. You did see my average speed for DMD right?

V.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica
    I'm still on the fence about Tam. You did see my average speed for DMD right?

V.
    Let's talk about Tam... It was the toughest event I did last year, but I completely believe you can do it. You can start earlier than DMD, which is nice. We'll talk more... but you should give it a whirl.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio