Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Who's Watching the Tour?

To disable ads, please log-in.

The Tour de France that is (not the 2003 Giro d'Italia Femminile, which unfortunately didn't seem to be televised in the US)!

Some random observations...
    * How about that pile-up in Stage 1? Very scary.
    * Tyler Hamilton, riding with a broken collarbone - totally amazing.
    * The OLN coverage this year is really pretty good.
    * Frankie Andreu is a hottie.
    * Why are all the sprinters so damn cute, and young?
    * Petacchi is amazing. Wonder if he'll be able to stay in the race through the mountains.
    * Jan Ullrich looks like he's in great shape!

So, who's been watching? What do you think so far?

Watching as I type. We recorded it this morning. I love Petacchi's blue eyes. Hope he keeps winning those sprints so we can see them some more.

I can't believe they are riding with all that road rash. Let alone broken bones.

Veronica

Yes, it has been fantastic all the way around. I think for cyclist to ride on such harsh, painful injuries takes a certain kind of genetically gifted person...I'm convinced that they are "true believers" and athletic professionals, but, I think it really does come down to genetics. Their tolerance to pain, their discipline, desire to go beyond themselves, yet, are doing what they do for themselves, takes a certain kind of person. We can all train hard, eat the right foods, ect. but, these athletes are gifted in a way that is hard to pin-point.

That's what makes the entire event so incredible.
    Terry

Agreed. The mental toughness of these guys is totally amazing. Sprinters often don't do well in the mountains. Watch Lance start surging ahead. King of Mountain.

Read some sour grapes from an ex USPS rider about Lance. He was upset because he wasn't allowed to break away from Lance to do sprints, etc. Ummm....right. Isn't that what being on the team is about?

What do you think about all of the jerseys and the special contests within the Tour? Does it dilute the race or does it add to the excitement?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I think the different jerseys add to the fun, especially since the Green jersey is often contended right into Paris. And seeing Laurent Jalabert in the Polka Dot jersey last year was great -- what an inspiring way to retire. The White jersey is sometimes fun, remember Oscar Sevilla a year or two (?) ago -- he looked like he was about 15.

I haven't seen today's stage, but I heard Petacchi abandoned -- darn, I really hoped he'd stay in the race.

Tomorrow, Alpe d'Huez!!
    Last edited by aka_kim; 07-12-2003 at 03:55 PM.

Petacchi dropped-out with classical Italian flare...he stopped, he got off the bike, he handed it over to an aid, got in the back seat of the team car and off he went! I only wish he would have worn a cape and waved to the crowd. He's adorable!
    He'll be back.
    Terry

Tyler Hamilton is my hero

He's fantastic isn't he?

I'm Australian so hoping our lads do really well, but they're not really contenders overall, so my hopes are with Tyler especially after his riding up mountains with a broken collarbone. I like Lance too, but think the competition that he's getting this year is making it fascinating.

Victoria
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

The Australian riders rock! Baden Cooke is leading in the Green Jersey competition and is second in the Centenaire. And I've had a thing for Stuart O'Grady for years (and to think he doesn't even know I exist). Oh, and McEwen and McGee, both awesome.

--
    So, how about Stage 9, and Beloki's crash! That was horrible to see -- the way his bike fish tailed and the hard fall. And you knew it was bad when you saw the looks on his team mates' faces. And Lance is so lucky, and skilled, of course -- that "cross country" cutoff was amazing.

This definitely is an exciting tour.

How did you all feel about the SWAT team "removing" the protesters on stage 10? Those guys did not hold back! Oh my...

It never occured to me until I saw the SWAT guys come out of no where that ANYONE could take a pot shot at one of the riders for any given number of reasons; political, crazed, terroist, ect.

The riders are really vulnerable in an way....
    Terry

Wasn't someone punched in the kidney a few years ago?

It is quite scary to think that all it would take is one nutter in the crowd. Touch wood for all the guys in the Peloton.

Already suffering withdrawals since Le Tour isn't on today - might get out on my bike and see how my sprint finishes go....

Victoria

Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

Here's what that protest was all about . . .

7/15/2003: Protesters Disrupt TdF

French zombies supporting the buffoonish “radical farmer” Jose Bove staged a sit-down protest at the Tour de France today, delaying the peloton for about two minues: Protest disrupts Tour de France.

Demonstrators sat down in the middle of the road during the 10th stage of the Tour de France, about 70km (43 miles) away from the city of Marseille.

The peloton, or main pack of riders, was forced to halt for two minutes before police dragged the protesters away.

Mr Bove, a prominent critic of trade liberalisation and mass-produced food, is currently serving two separate prison terms for destroying genetically-modified crops of maize and rice in the late 1990s.

He also leads a militant group of farmers called the Confederation Paysanne, which champions smaller producers, and is considered by many in France to be a hero for his stand against big business.

Tour officials ruled that the protest was "a normal race incident," meaning that riders would have to suffer the penalties of being caught in the protest.
    Lance didn’t lose his yellow jersey however. Danish sprinter Jakob Piil won the mostly flat stage.

You can read more about it and peoples' comments here:

Click here to read more about the protest

French zombies? Radical farmers?

The French will protest about anything. Ask any person trying to get a ferry from Calais on the last weekend of school holidays....

Vic

Talking Tour on the Tube

Am watching like a fiend. Must get a life.

Yes, Frankie is totally gorgeous!
    Am sick of LanceLanceLance all the time, tho is he a hero is is not 100% of the cycling world.
    I feel like a blob sitting in front of the tube, but i'm hooked so far.

I have made aquaintance with one of these pro cyclers and their lives are incredibly rigid and actually, many times lonely. They train at least 6 hours a day.

Re: Tour on the Tube

How exciting was it today??? I missed it live, but watched the replay later. Jan and Lance are making it so exciting.

I have made aquaintance with one of these pro cyclers and their lives are incredibly rigid and actually, many times lonely. They train at least 6 hours a day.

That's really sad, but then again, I guess a lot of them are doing something that you love - it would be disappointing when it became like a job but. Is there a good comradery within the teams? I would've thought that would've kept them going?

Vic