Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Zipp SL-70 Carbon Aero vs Vision Metron 5-D bars (carbon)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All

Have any of you got any experience of using either or both of the bars mentioned above? It’s for a Bianchi Aria, which will be equipped with Di2. The Vision Metron has a sleeker look and will perhaps put the rider about 1cm more forward (not a problem for me) than the Zipp bar. I have read things online by people who said their Vision Metron 5D bars cracked after only 100 miles of riding.

To my mind, the Vision bar is a lot more appealing and I don’t expect that comfort on long rides will be compromised.

What do you think?

https://shop.visiontechusa.com/en/metron-5d-integrated

https://www.zipp.com/bars/sl-70-aero/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only used low end Bontrager bars so I have no recommendation. For me the important thing has been having compact bars. I don't think my hands are small for a woman but they are small enough to need the compact geometry.

On my new gravel bike, the shifters are huge. I am told this is due to having disc brakes. The reach to the bars is fine with the stock 90mm stem, but I can't rest my hands on the hoods comfortably because the shifters are so long. I am going to try a shorter stem, but that might make things feel cramped when my hands are on the tops of the bars while riding uphill. So if you have not used Di2 shifters before, find out how long they will protrude from the bars relative to shifters you have used, in case they are different enough to affect your reach.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I can't address the OP's issue, but the Di2 shifters are exactly the same as my regular Ultegra ones. I don't have disc brakes on that bike, though, maybe that would feel different? Actually the regular Ultegra ones on my Guru are easier, because they are the short reach brifters that I bought on E Bay as they were no longer made in 2011. But, the size of the shifters are the same, it's just the reach to the brakes.
    My Ariel has disc brakes, but flat bars. It has the mid range trigger shifters typical for this kind of bike, but I find them much harder to shift than other ones I've had. I wonder if it's the disc brakes making it feel this way? I thought it was my hands having issues with the flat bars, lifting weights, and being older!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Crankin, no, the disc brakes have nothing to do with how the bike shifts. MTB trigger shifters/derailleur combos vary tremendously on how they easily and fast they shift. Be sure to position and adjust the trigger shifters so they're comfy to reach when your hands are on the grips. I like to have my thumb pad resting gently on the trigger(s) as I ride. That can make quite a difference. Same for the brake levers. Move them as needed to be comfy. On flat bar brake levers, there's usually a reach adjustment as far as how far in the lever has to go for the brakes to engage. I always have to make these adjustment when I bring a new bike home.

I can easily rest my fingers on the shifters. They just feel a bit hard to push. Some of it is I am used to the Di2.. my Guru with the regular STI Ultegra shifters feel hard now, too, and I now they are not!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'll bet that Di2 would spoil me, too. Almost afraid to even try that setup, but since I'm all flat bar, now, probably never will.