Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Injured Knee in spin class

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello everyone, few days back I got my right knee injured in a spin class. I can feel a sort of sparking pain sensation when a bit of pressure is applied on my knee. Just can’t figure out what’s wrong and how shall I treat this? Any suggestions?
    Thankyou.

You need to make sure you are setting up your spin bike correctly, first. You've either got the seat post too high or low, or the fore/aft adjustment is off, i.e. too far from the bars or too close. One of the issues with spin bikes is the range of adjustments you can make is not that great, as opposed to a real bike. The cranks are often too long for shorter women, causing knee and hip pain. Ask your instructor to help you with the bike set up.
    It's possible you are using too much tension on the bike relative to your anatomy and level of fitness. It would be no different than than doing a ride with steep climbs outside, if you were not really in shape for that, without the normal building up to do that. Rest for a couple of days, keep your knee elevated when you can, ice it for short periods throughout the day. If it doesn't resolve, get it checked out by an appropriate medical provider.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thank you so much Carnkin for your efforts to provide me with such useful info. Although, for now, I've stopped going to the classes because of the pain but as soon as I resume my classes, I'll keep these things in my mind.
    I was researching about all this and I wanted to know which part I actually got damaged and I found out there is a muscle named Quadriceps Femoris which lies just above the knee and I'm quite sure that is where I can feel the pain. Now the question is, shall I consult a dcotor or is there some home remedy that can help me get rid of this completely.

It sounds like what you have injured could definitely be related to the crank arm length, which affects pressure on your "Q angle," which is where your muscle attaches from your hip to your knee. Forgive me if I cannot remember the name of the specific muscle here! But, women have a wider Q angle than men, and often need shorter cranks because of this. Unfortunately, this is one thing your gym or spin studio cannot change, as the bikes are generally one size fits all.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    It sounds like what you have injured could definitely be related to the crank arm length, which affects pressure on your "Q angle," which is where your muscle attaches from your hip to your knee. Forgive me if I cannot remember the name of the specific muscle here! But, women have a wider Q angle than men, and often need shorter cranks because of this. Unfortunately, this is one thing your gym or spin studio cannot change, as the bikes are generally one size fits all.
    Depends on the spin bike. Does it use standard pedal threads. Is the arm width roughly the normal width of a normal bike crank. I have a LeMond spin bike at home and have crank shorteners on it. If this ends up being something longer term, you could see if the gym would mind if you put crank shorteners on the bike when you ride. And maybe give the manufacturer of the bike a call and see if they think shorteners would be a problem.

Shorteners were discussed sometime back in this thread.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-29-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

I have found over the years that biking is the only thing that keeps my knee free from pain. I have a normal bike with hard gear and low RPM.