Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    And my property is fine, so far.
    it's difficult for those who haven't actually gone through/witnessed the destruction of a hurricane to understand the longer term problems both financially and mental that survivors go through. I've always been impressed with your strength of spirit in dealing with the storms that have affected your area.....glad to hear your home wasn't badly affected this time......and there are some good opportunities for work in sustainability management and policy here in the hurricane free western u.s.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Np tropical storm for us, but some light snow, this morning, then periods sunshine interrupted by short snow squalls. Very windy and cold. We both rode fat bikes, this morning on our neighborhood ride, then did some extra riding to check on flooding in various areas. Our dock, for instance, is now mostly under water. Hubby then went back to the house to warm up and I hit the trails with Star for more riding.

Lowland areas of my trails are aslo flooded with up to a foot of water in places covering the trails. Not an issue, of course with the fat bike. The Pugs 2 just takes it all and keeps rolling. Really love this second edition of the Pugsley. Has all the great features of the original plus some nice upgrades. The trails are fat bike, only at the moment. It's not just the flooding and soft sections; it's also the heavy layer of wet leaves. If someone didn't know my trails, they wouldn't even know they were trails with all the leaves. Figure another week, at most, and all the leaves will be down. Then it will be time to clean the trails once more before they get covered with snow. Anyway, finished with 5 miles of trail work and 2 miles of road work on the Pugs. A good morning ride, even if it was chilly.

Even if the weather wasn't telling me winter is coming, all the migrating birds would. Saw my first migrating Juncos, this week. That's a sure sign of fall. Lots and lots of waterfowl on the lake. This morning was a real treat. Six Tundra Swans stopped on the lake and we could see them from the house. These are a migrating bird for us and an uncommon bird. Only see Tundras every second or third year.

The cool weather is invigorating. May try an afternoon ride, too.

UPdate: Did, of course. Only 8 miles because if the high winds and cold, but beats sitting in the house.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 10-11-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Cemeteries are tourist attractions in my town... when my husband had colleagues in town from China, they wanted to go to "Author's Row," to see where the transcendental writers were buried. They took pictures, as do others. They even have walking paths in that one, where some people ride.
    I don't see anything wrong with it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The south was home to many thriving Jewish communities, and there are remnants of many of them. Even in Columbus, I saw glimpses of this, stores that had been in business for 70-100 years now going out of business, because the original owners' descendants no longer want to be shop owners. Jews were owners of dry goods stores, restaurants, and often the town pharmacist or physician. Pretty much after WW 2, this started changing. I remember a long time ago, my parents had friends who moved to Atlanta; the guy was a liberal rabbi. They were back in MA after a year or two. They couldn't take the racism of the area in the late 50s/early 60s.
    There's a lot of family history hidden in those old cemeteries. I have never been to Charleston. It's on my list.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yes, I have been to Savannah, twice. Once when we went to boot camp grad and the next year when we rented a condo in HHI and flew my dad in from San Diego for a vacation. I did not get to see that much, either time, but I did see the monument to the early Jewish settlers.
    Spoke to my son last night. The base opened late yesterday. He said winds Wednesday night were no more than 30-40 mph, they lost power for about 2 hours. A few people went to the shelter in the convention center because their power was out longer. Schools were closed yesterday, which he thought was weird and stupid (coming from a New Englander, I can see this). He said the rain was nothing more than a regular hard rainstorm.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Finally got a couple days of drying out and the extended forecast looks dry, too. Still cool with 30s and 40s for highs, but I can handle that.

Beautiful classic fall day, today. Cool and brisk and windy with lots of leaves coming down and being blown around. Really just a great day to be outdoors. Only did 11 miles on the road, but added another 4 on the trails. Nothing strenuous, just relaxed and enjoyed the fall weather as we rode. Summer is gone for sure, but I've said my good-byes and have moved on.

It rained almost all day here.This morning I finally went and bought new running shoes, which are sorely overdue. While I don't really run, I wear them at boot camp, where there is some running involved. The rain stopped around 2:00, when I went with DH to pick up something at Best Buy. It's about 30 minutes away, in a very busy area. Since the last time I was in this shopping center, a Sierra Trading Post opened. Ended up buying a puffy vest and a fleecy sweatshirt. Had hoped to at least take a walk when we got back, but it started raining again about mile from home. A moot point by now, it's rare I take a full rest day on a weekend, but it feels good. My leg had been hurting a bit more from my fall, so I went back to icing at least 3x a day on Thursday and it is much better.
    Tomorrow we are going to ride to a food festival at Bolton Farms. This is a very hilly ride. Not sure how far it is; used to be 50 miles from our last house, but I think it may be a bit less.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

FALL got here yesterday after weeks in the 80's... it feels so good even if it's just commuting and running errands. 51 now so time for a quick ride!

30 degrees colder today than my last two rides. We planned a 58 mile ride, a variation on the annual Gettysburg tour that my friend leads. The sun is still fairly strong so it was not bad with temps in the 50s.

But I fell a couple of miles into the ride. I was riding next to a friend, chatting, got too close to the edge of the pavement, went off the edge onto the grass next to it, foolishly tried to get back onto the pavement and fell on my left side. My left palm and wrist took most of the impact, followed by my elbow and knee.

Of course I did the whole ride (probably not smart but we did stop several times to evaluate and the pain was not getting worse). It was a slow touring ride with numerous stops, a long day in the saddle ( and a really nice route). I had full range of motion in my wrist but it hurt, and by the end some bruises had appeared and it felt stiff. No visible swelling. After we finished I bought an elastic and neoprene brace for compression and immobilization. Iced it once I got home. Consulted with a nurse (family member) who said to see how it is in the morning -- no need for urgent care tonight. I don't think anything is broken but there is definitely soft tissue damage. By the end of the ride I felt a twinge in my back/shoulder back beneath my neck, no doubt from the impact going up my arm.

The elbow is okay as long as I don't touch the tip of the bone -- that is sore. I scraped my knee but it's not serious. All the extra layers of clothes prevented serious road rash. (So yay colder weather, I guess.) My left bootie is torn but I needed new ones anyway. Most importantly, although I hit my friend's bike as I fell she stayed upright. This is important because her bones are way less dense than mine.

The bike is okay I think. The shifter got knocked crooked. We fixed that, but it made a slight noise when I braked and felt wrong. As it happens I already planned to go to the LBS tomorrow, to pick up my new gravel bike. I still have not test ridden it so tomorrow I planned to take it for a spin on the rail trail next to the shop. First I was going to put the pedals on myself because it seemed like something I could handle myself and is worth learning (and saving some labor costs).

So now I will have them look at the shifter on the old bike, and I will pay for the new one and take it home. Hopefully in a few days I will be able to ride it.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

So sorry your crashed, NY. Your injuries sound a lot like what I have experienced, both in bike crashes and now, with the fall I had last weekend, hiking. Get some Arnica gel. Put it on the bruises, and anywhere that feels stiff or swollen. You can use it 4X a day. It really helps healing, along with icing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hang in, there, N.Y. We've all taken a spill and, as we all know, I'm still doing it. Hope you recover, soon.

One of the things that you might check on the shifting is the derailleur. With MTB crashes, bending a derailleur arm is very common occurrence and that will give you fits with the shifting. Easy enough fix by bending it back. On the other hand, if you actually damaged the brifter on a road bike, that gets very pricey. Very expensive part on a road bike. Hope it isn't that.

Light snow, as I write this, this morning. Ugh! Oh, I'll still go out with a fat bike on the trails so Star and I can get some exercise, but not a great day for biking. Oh, well, Florida this is not and I know it.

Thanks ladies. All in all it could have been worse. There is a bit of swelling today on the back (not palm side) of my wrist, but it feels better today than last night. My elbow is a bit puffy too. I probably could test ride the new bike today but it would be better not to.

I realized when cleaning the cut on my knee that I landed on a scar, a spot I have cut twice before. The first time I was 4 or 5, walking my bike (I think with training wheels still) and somehow managed to trip and fall. My knee hit a small sharp rock, which hurt a lot and left the scar. Then back in 2003 I was riding my then-new road bike on a paved trail through some woods. There were puddles from recent rain. I went through a muddy curve too fast and fell, right on that scar. So yesterday was my third time cutting the same spot. Third time's a charm?

I learned several lessons yesterday. First, it you go off the edge of the road, keep going straight and stop rather than trying to ride back onto the pavement. Two, pay more attention when chatting while cycling!! (c) Keep an ace bandage in your bike bag along with the regular and large Band-Aids.

Gone but not forgotten:

For once I did the ride I set out to do to Bolton Farms, although we did make it a bit shorter and took an alternative a friend had told me about. I had been on the road, going the other way. It was quite lovely, and a downhill. It was cool when we started, about 49. I was dressed correctly, and because we had a headwind on the way there, and it was mostly cloudy, I did not get overheated. At one point, I took my head cover off, but then, we went down that hill and I was cold, but I knew we were almost at our stop. This ride has a lot of climbing. The first climb is a hill I often gauge my fitness on, but I've only climbed it 2-3 times this season. It felt pretty hard... as we turned on to this climb, first we passed woman struggling to get up a little rise before the turn. She was zig zagging so we had to call out. DH suggested a lower gear, but she was not responsive. Then, on the first part of the climb, we saw a guy walking. He had a nice bike and looked experienced, and was not broken down. When we go to the top, his wife was waiting. Then, as we were deciding if we were really going to do the intended ride, we stopped at our turn. The struggling woman rode by us, on the same road, also a difficult 8-10% climb. The husband and wife also passed us. We decided to go for it, and we passed the struggler, and the guy got off his bike again, to walk. We caught the woman, who told us he was doing chemo, and insisted on doing a 30 mile hilly ride. Perhaps not a good choice. We went ahead and got onto the new part of the ride; there were cars parked all along the road before the farm market where the festival was, so we pulled in the lot and then walked our bikes to the patio. Mostly vendors giving samples of junk food and people buying apples and cider donuts. There was a good band playing, so we went inside and bought a sandwich to share. We ate quickly, as we felt cold, and then quickly warmed up on the 4 mile climb into Harvard Centre. As we turned by the Harvard General Store, we saw our friend Jack, pulling in, with some riders he was leading. We stopped for a second to say hi, and then up the last major climb to a big downhill. At this point we repeated about a mile of the beginning of the ride, but we stopped to take pictures. Finally, after another teeny hill, we got back to what I call my favorite roads in our old town.
    The ride ended up being 35.3 miles. My knee/leg was hurting and then my other knee started hurting. I was going to do a Meet Up ride on Wednesday, but it's 19 miles with 1,100 ft of hard climbs, so I don't think I should annoy my injury even more. If the ride was longer, I might, but I'm afraid to make it worse and to be dropped by new people, even though the stated average is in my range. I still might ride with my regular group.
    Glad I went, glad I didn't do 50, and happy with the cooler weather. The colors are not anywhere near peak, seems a bit late this year.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I picked up the new bike!

I put two bottle cages on along with the pedals while I was the bike shop parking lot. The only difficulty was opening the tube of Park Tools grease -- I didn't have scissors to cut the tip open. But I had told the folks working in the shop that I was going to attempt my first pedal installation and would be back if I ran into problems. So while I was putting on the bottle cages one of them came out to see how I was doing. He took the tube of grease inside and opened it for me.

I rode in circles around the parking lot a few times. I definitely need a fitting. The reach to the handlebars is ok but the reach to the hoods is too long. The hoods are huge! I think they can be adjusted, though.

Before I left I had them show me how to remove the wheels and got a spacer for the disc brakes for when I have to remove a wheel. They said a piece of cardboard would work too, as long as it is roughly as thick as the rotor. Good to know.

I maxed out on posting photos here a long time ago -- will have to figure out how to delete some so I can upload photos of the new bike.

Gone but not forgotten:

Congrats on the new bike, N.Y. Always fun getting a new bike tuned and fitted.

Woke up to a skiff of icy snow on the ground, this morning. Most of the leaves are down on the ground, now, so spent most of yesterday in the rain and falling snow clearing the trails of the heavy leaf layer. It's mostly a matter of safety, since the leaves hide some trail obstacles that can easily be avoided when you can see them. Clean trails also make for faster riding trails. I did finish up with some trail riding on the fat bike, of course. Can't go a day without some riding, right?

Looks like our fall season is going to be about as short as our spring season we had, this year. Some of my trails behind the house.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 10-15-2018 at 07:09 AM.