Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh, wow, wow, wow! Thanks, rebecca. I can almost feel that sun and that warmth. Much appreciated.

Heavy rains, last night and heavy rains, again, today. Lots of area flooding. Not likely I'll get out, today. Have a dentists's appointment, anyway. Turning colder, soon. Highs in the 30s for next week, already. Haven't had any nice weather at all to enjoy the fall color, yet. It's now past its peak, anyway. Leaves are coming down, fast. Lots of trail cleaning to do, soon.

Woke up with legs a bit stiff after my ride with the Nature Boy, yesterday. I think all the standing to pedal on those climbs, yesterday, are what got me a bit sore. Need more of that kind of work, I guess. May drop the gearing just a tad, but we'll see how it goes for a bit. One thing for sure, it gives me a nice workout, but not so much of a workout as to be dangerous or tear me, down. Cant afford to blow a knee or tear a tendon.

I did a short ride this morning, before meeting a friend for lunch. Nothing special, except it was already 75 out and very humid. Please, I am done with summer, at least the new version of summer that is humid. Totally sopped through. So, short, but hilly, and my leg is feeling better, especially after a ride. Now I just need the giant bruise on the back/side of my forearm to go away. It never got blue, as I got Arnica on it, so I am hoping by Friday, when I go to the gym, it won't be noticeable!
    That hurricane is getting my son in Columbus, GA; on the edge, though. But, his new house in Fayetteville looks like it will be a target again... they are already dealing with asking the seller to fix the damage from the last one. It wasn't huge damage, but enough.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I did a short ride this morning, before meeting a friend for lunch. Nothing special, except it was already 75 out and very humid. Please, I am done with summer, at least the new version of summer that is humid. Totally sopped through. So, short, but hilly, and my leg is feeling better, especially after a ride. Now I just need the giant bruise on the back/side of my forearm to go away. It never got blue, as I got Arnica on it, so I am hoping by Friday, when I go to the gym, it won't be noticeable!
    That hurricane is getting my son in Columbus, GA; on the edge, though. But, his new house in Fayetteville looks like it will be a target again... they are already dealing with asking the seller to fix the damage from the last one. It wasn't huge damage, but enough.
    That is what concerns me the most. All the flooding from Florence will start again, and perhaps be worse.

I think we will be on the far east of the storm, so it should be okay. But we are under a Tropical Storm Watch. We shall see.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Hope everyone survives this big storm. Not that our weather is anything to love, right now, but those monster hurricanes are terrifying.

We did get to do a short neighborhood ride, late afternoon, after heavy rain most of the day. Now the cold moves in. Temp at noon tomorrow is supposed to be only 36 degrees. Highs only in the 30s for the next week, some rain and snow, too. We're having November in October.

The good news is that I felt better on the new Nature Boy, today, on our short ride. I definitely felt stronger than yesterday. Had me worried that it would take awhile to get in good enough shape to enjoy the bike. I'm still going to very slightly drop the gearing down, though, just to be safe.

We do have a tropical storm right now, but the actual storm is to the west of us. Just a lot of wind, no real rain. Perhaps it rained last night, but it appears essentially dry outside. Wind is between 39 and 59 mph, I think they said. We are so lucky.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

That is good, Sheila. I will be talking to my son again tonight, but I think the storm may have been a little closer to Columbus than he thought, when I spoke to him yesterday afternoon.
    I did a decent early AM ride this morning, as we are getting rain associated with the storm, starting around 1 PM, with local flooding predicted. It was already 67 degrees out and super humid, but I wore a super lightweight Soleil jersey with long sleeves, which was perfect, and although I had my vest on more for safety, it was fine. I rode across town, around the perimeter of Concord Center, and a bit north/west, then back, essentially on Main St, once I made the turn back. The part of the ride from Concord Center and north, through the turn around is part of the original route of this ride I used to do from my house on the other side of town. It's almost exactly the same mileage, but before, the beginning of the ride was deathly quiet and almost rural at 5:15 am. Now, I am on Main St as soon as I leave my street, with way too many cars heading for the highway east to Boston at that early hour. Seriously, the quietest part of my ride was when I was actually in Concord Center. On the way back, same thing. I rode through west Concord village, instead of staying on Main St., picking it back up after a 1.5 mile detour. It was crazy busy at 6:00 AM. People cut through, coming from places west of here, to avoid a notorious round a bout on the highway. This saddens me. I have another route of the same length, for early AM or short rides that goes west, but it is considerably hillier. Anyway, this route has one short climb, one I gauge my fitness on. Thought I might have to go to the small ring (usually don't have to at this time of year), but I didn't. When I got home, I was surprised to see my average was higher than my last few rides, but it was mostly flat. However, I think I go faster when I can't see my speed on the Garmin!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hope everything turned out well at your son's, Crankin. We were very lucky twice in a row--Florence and Michael. Literally just miles from real impact zones. The area actually has more damage from Michael. But still minimal. Limbs down. And my property is fine, so far.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    And my property is fine, so far.
    it's difficult for those who haven't actually gone through/witnessed the destruction of a hurricane to understand the longer term problems both financially and mental that survivors go through. I've always been impressed with your strength of spirit in dealing with the storms that have affected your area.....glad to hear your home wasn't badly affected this time......and there are some good opportunities for work in sustainability management and policy here in the hurricane free western u.s.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Np tropical storm for us, but some light snow, this morning, then periods sunshine interrupted by short snow squalls. Very windy and cold. We both rode fat bikes, this morning on our neighborhood ride, then did some extra riding to check on flooding in various areas. Our dock, for instance, is now mostly under water. Hubby then went back to the house to warm up and I hit the trails with Star for more riding.

Lowland areas of my trails are aslo flooded with up to a foot of water in places covering the trails. Not an issue, of course with the fat bike. The Pugs 2 just takes it all and keeps rolling. Really love this second edition of the Pugsley. Has all the great features of the original plus some nice upgrades. The trails are fat bike, only at the moment. It's not just the flooding and soft sections; it's also the heavy layer of wet leaves. If someone didn't know my trails, they wouldn't even know they were trails with all the leaves. Figure another week, at most, and all the leaves will be down. Then it will be time to clean the trails once more before they get covered with snow. Anyway, finished with 5 miles of trail work and 2 miles of road work on the Pugs. A good morning ride, even if it was chilly.

Even if the weather wasn't telling me winter is coming, all the migrating birds would. Saw my first migrating Juncos, this week. That's a sure sign of fall. Lots and lots of waterfowl on the lake. This morning was a real treat. Six Tundra Swans stopped on the lake and we could see them from the house. These are a migrating bird for us and an uncommon bird. Only see Tundras every second or third year.

The cool weather is invigorating. May try an afternoon ride, too.

UPdate: Did, of course. Only 8 miles because if the high winds and cold, but beats sitting in the house.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 10-11-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    it's difficult for those who haven't actually gone through/witnessed the destruction of a hurricane to understand the longer term problems both financially and mental that survivors go through. I've always been impressed with your strength of spirit in dealing with the storms that have affected your area.....glad to hear your home wasn't badly affected this time......and there are some good opportunities for work in sustainability management and policy here in the hurricane free western u.s.
    As I tell my dad ever time one approaches, if I lose everything, it will be a lot easier to move across country.

Silver linings, and all of that.

I always strap a bike to the roof of my car when evacuating. The dogs ride inside, naturally. Don't care about anything else, much.

Crankin, I just read something that says Columbus was largely spared.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 10-11-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

I stopped by a Salsa shop in Charleston on Tuesday, took a turn down a residential area, and drove by an old, beautiful Jewish cemetery. It was filled with massive oak trees. Truly beautiful. Thought about stopping and taking photos. But I'm not sure if that would have been respectful. Probably. But I wasn't certain. Cemeteries aren't really tourist destinations.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Cemeteries are tourist attractions in my town... when my husband had colleagues in town from China, they wanted to go to "Author's Row," to see where the transcendental writers were buried. They took pictures, as do others. They even have walking paths in that one, where some people ride.
    I don't see anything wrong with it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I think the one I saw might be okay. I tried to find it online, but couldn't. Not sure what street it was on, just near that shop. I did find another Jewish cemetery in Charleston while I searched. I guess it's the oldest in the US, and on the National Register. And it is not open to the public. Interesting.

Charleston is a beautiful city. A lot of liberals, too. I like going there.

Here is the very old cemetery. The one I saw was about 100 years younger, established in the 1860's.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...h-history-tour
    Last edited by Muirenn; 10-11-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

The south was home to many thriving Jewish communities, and there are remnants of many of them. Even in Columbus, I saw glimpses of this, stores that had been in business for 70-100 years now going out of business, because the original owners' descendants no longer want to be shop owners. Jews were owners of dry goods stores, restaurants, and often the town pharmacist or physician. Pretty much after WW 2, this started changing. I remember a long time ago, my parents had friends who moved to Atlanta; the guy was a liberal rabbi. They were back in MA after a year or two. They couldn't take the racism of the area in the late 50s/early 60s.
    There's a lot of family history hidden in those old cemeteries. I have never been to Charleston. It's on my list.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Charleston is a beautiful old town. Savannah is similar in some ways, but it’s a ‘party’ town. Totally different vibe. Beaufort is just dead and irritating.

Both Charleston and Savannah have a lot of Jewish history and large community.

Have you been to Savannah?

Edit: I found the cemetery I saw on Tuesday. It’s called Emanu-El Cemetery, and there is an a website for an affiliated synagogue, too.

If you google it, you can ‘drive’ down sycamore street, where it is located. Beautiful live oak trees.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 10-11-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!