Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks. Thatís very useful. I used my MTB today and measured a 20-mile ride on Strava - two QOMs and three placements in the top 5 all-time women. And I measured my seat and found that it is 2cm lower than my Specialized Road Bike. I have since lowered the Oura saddle on my road bike but have not yet dared to use it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the geometry on a mountain bike is really different than a road bike, but that's a hint you might need to lower it. Did you get a real fitting from a bike shop? Not just a cursory measurement and test ride in the parking lot? They should be helping you with this. Many shops have a test a saddle program, where they have loaners to test.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Well, the geometry on a mountain bike is really different than a road bike, but that's a hint you might need to lower it. Did you get a real fitting from a bike shop? Not just a cursory measurement and test ride in the parking lot? They should be helping you with this. Many shops have a test a saddle program, where they have loaners to test.
    The soles of my road shoes are much thinner than my mountainbike shoes, so the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle is higher on the mountainbike. Also, the Oura is flared in the back, which raised you .5 cm higher than what you expect if you measure from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the saddle (top middle).

My saddle height measure this way with a flat saddle is 73 from center to top on a road bike. With a Romin or Oura (essentially the same saddle), it's about 72.5 or so. The saddle height on my mountainbike is 73.5 or so. The leg extension is the same on all.

Do you know how to measure saddle height and compare?
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Okay, this picture is perfect. Same basic shape of saddle in that it is flared to the rear. He measures from center of the bottom bracket to the level that is placed across the saddle. A lot of people would measure to the top center of the saddle, but that only works if the saddle is flat.

https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/...position_1.jpg

You might examine the soles of your mountainbike shoes, and see if they are thicker than the road shoes, and if so, how much.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 09-20-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Hi all

Update on the saddle soreness that I experienced a few weeks ago. All is better now, thanks. Took my bike back to Specialized and they tilted the saddle nose slightly downwards and brought the saddle a little closer to the handlebars so that I was not stretching over so excessively. And they are going to give me a free Bike Fit too. Yay! 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great news, Good for you. Yeah, sometimes it as easy as a saddle adjustment.