Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

No pressure from me on switching to flat pedals. As always, use what works for you and the way you like to ride. I fully respect everyone's choice to do things their own way.

Last ride, today, of 12 miles, then dropped the rental bike back at the bike shop, then took the trolley back to the motel. Can't say I'll miss the bike, but I will say that I enjoyed this visit to Florida. I especially liked the open horizons on both sides of me via the bay and the ocean. Really helped to comfort me and my love of the open spaces, something I don't get a lot up in our ever dense north woods.

Emily, now I understand why you avoid riding on the weekends. Wow! Haven't so many bicyclists out at one time since my Chicago days. Bikes, everywhere, today, compared to only a few, yesterday, on Friday. They all come pouring out on Saturday, apparently. The narrow bike lanes on the streets can't begin to fit them all.

Early morning flight out, tomorrow. Can't wait to get home. Nice visit, though.

So glad you had fun NW. Yeah, bike paths on Saturdays=not so much fun. But, it's always so nice to be outside in a different environment.

Sheila, my pedals are Shimano. I showed DH your link. Right now, neither of us want to spend that $ for pedals on a bike that is not my main bike. When I retire, I think I will be riding it more for errands, and that time is not so far away, 2-2.5 years.

Today was a fun ride that had a purpose. I always enjoy myself way more on these kinds of rides. We needed to get a bunch of things at a gourmet farm market in the next town. It's really only 5+ miles away, but we took the long way, 9 miles, there. I rode my Ariel and DH rode the Guru, with 2 panniers. I volunteered to take stuff in my Topeak trunk bag, but he wanted to carry it all, and I didn't complain. I have a bunch of more casual cycling clothes acquired over the past 10 years, so I enjoy that part, too. It's partly cloudy and breezy, but was predicted to go up to 71. It was 66 when we left and it's 66 now! We bought sandwiches at the market and ate outside, and I think I got a bit chilled. What a change from the past 2 weeks. Then, when we took off, it was spritzing. I thought, oh no, now I will really get sick, but that stopped and eventually, we had a climb, where I stopped feeling chilled. A total of 15 miles, we got everything we needed, and I feel a bit less congested.
    Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 61, and in the 40s overnight. I can't wait to ride!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Hey Emily, there are people who are cancelling their trips to Hunting Island this week because of the storm. They want recommendations for campgrounds on the Gulf Coast. Any ideas?

And where are you approximately? Will you have to leave?

I have my reservations made for a hotel near a state park just outside of Atlanta. Easier to avoid the traffic when I arrive. But near enough that I can go into town if I desire. When I stay in Atlanta, it seems like the entire trip is spent negotiating freeways. And I don't know where anything is. I want to just be able to wander and find a lot to do.
    Hi Sheila,

The only place we've camped on the gulf coast is Grayton Beach State Park, which is east of Destin. We absolutely loved it there and would highly recommend it. There are other state parks (Topsail Hill, I think is the name) along there as well as commercial parks. I am sure anywhere along the gulf coast would be nice if your friends can get a spot.

We should be fine here. We are just west of Orlando. We had to evacuate a year ago when Hurricane Irma was forecast to come up right through Florida, so we headed far enough west (Mississippi) to be out of the storm's path.

This time around I'm super worried about my brother, who lives in Wilmington, NC. He is really good about hurricane preparation and can head to the western part of the state to my mother's if needed, but I just heard on the Weather Channel that even far inland SC and NC could be iffy. With memories of other hurricanes that caused major damage far inland (Hugo that made it all the way to western NC and Fran in central NC, where we lived at the time), even just getting off the coast isn't always enough.

Glad you have a safe place to go. I am really hoping Florida is quiet this season, but I don't want anyone else to suffer either.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Last ride, today, of 12 miles, then dropped the rental bike back at the bike shop, then took the trolley back to the motel. Can't say I'll miss the bike, but I will say that I enjoyed this visit to Florida. I especially liked the open horizons on both sides of me via the bay and the ocean. Really helped to comfort me and my love of the open spaces, something I don't get a lot up in our ever dense north woods.

Emily, now I understand why you avoid riding on the weekends. Wow! Haven't so many bicyclists out at one time since my Chicago days. Bikes, everywhere, today, compared to only a few, yesterday, on Friday. They all come pouring out on Saturday, apparently. The narrow bike lanes on the streets can't begin to fit them all.
    Yes, Saturdays are crazy here. All the folks who work during the week are out, and many with kids. We just won't do it. We have occasionally ridden on a Sunday morning, during church time, which isn't quite as bad, but there are several large churches along our route, and if you hit the cross road right when one of the services are letting out, woah. Prepare to wait. So normally we just ride on weekdays.

I'm really glad you enjoyed your riding here. I think that the novelty of riding in a new place always makes it more fun and interesting, as you can appreciate the different vistas, sights, and scenery. That was one of the things we have loved most about traveling around the country and riding in different states. So much diversity, and all have something to offer.

You'll have to let us know if you have any trouble adapting to the weather back in northern Wisconsin after being in hot and humid Florida for a week! I've been here so long now that I get chilled in the slightest breeze, it seems. We're heading to NC for a family visit next month, and even though I love NC in October, I am sure I'm gonna freeze!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 61, and in the 40s overnight. I can't wait to ride!
    LOL...brrrrrr...that is hiking weather for me!
    Emily

Emily, I find I can acclimate, in just a short amount of time. It feels cool this morning (51), but it is also cloudy, which makes it feel, well, cool.
    This is my favorite temperature to ride in. No need for the full onslaught of winter gear, but can wear my regular LS jerseys with a vest or base layer and knickers or leg/knee warmers. I really wish we had a longer time with these temperatures. When I first started riding, we did, and any 85-95 degree spells were never more than 3 days, usually once or twice a summer.
    So, as usual for the Jewish New Year season, I cannot shake this allergy/sinus thing. I went to the Minute Clinic this morning, no wait, and I now should be feeling better soon, as I met their stringent criteria for a sinus infection. Got my flu shot, too.
    Since my chest is clear, I may go out for a short flat ride, or at least a walk later. DS and granddaughter are coming over for a holiday dinner tonight.My DIL has to work, and since she took the last 2 Sundays off, I told her not to feel bad about skipping the dinner tonight.
    Hoping you avoid the storm, Sheila.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm back home, safe and sound and oh, so, content. As for acclimating, highs in the 60s for our late afternoon bike ride and, no, no problem adapting at all and, in fact, I was amazed at just how much more energy I had compared to riding in the Florida. My average speed and acceleration was MUCH higher, this afternoon, than anything I could manage in Florida. Now, part of that was undoubtedly due to riding a better bike, but I think part of it was also the climate. I think that dense, sticky, hot Florida air is slower to ride in that our cool, thinner north woods air. Emily, that impresses me all the more with those miles you pull, down there in Florida. Good for you, girl.

Sheila, best I can find is that those Mary bars have 40 degrees of back sweep, compared to about 45 degrees of back sweep on the Jones H bars I was using. I did not like the Jones with its radical back sweep, so I suspect that Mary bar would be similar. I can do the Surly Moloku at 34 degrees for trail work, but 40 degrees? I'd have to try one. Still prefer a standard MTB bar for the really techy stuff, though.

Glad you're back home safely, NWG! And that the weather is pleasing. Doesn't sound too chilly. Yet. Thank you for your compliment. I do agree that riding in this "thicker" air here in Florida feels slower, but not sure if it really is, given equal equipment. Some days it can be quite windy, though, and that certainly affects speed.

Hope you feel much better soon, Crankin. I'm kind of surprised that they advised getting a flu shot when you were ill at all, but hope you have no adverse reactions. Enjoy your holiday!

Getting more and more worried about Hurricane Florence, not for me, but for my brother in Wilmington. He's been posting tons of stuff on Facebook about it, so he is well aware and getting ready, but I fear he won't evacuate. His house is sturdy, but I will still worry. He may have an extended power outage if nothing else. I have numerous friends and other family members scattered all over NC, since I spent most of my life there, so I am definitely feeling unsettled about this one... It would be great if you didn't have to evacuate after all, Sheila, but sometimes these storms take last minute bumps one way or the other, so I am sure you'll stay well-informed as it approaches.
    Emily

Emily, the NP said that as long as you do not have a fever, you can get the flu shot. She said almost everyone questions this, but there's been tons of studies done about the safety of it. They found that tons of people go to the dr for an illness and refuse to get their flu shot, and never come back. So far, I have nothing but the usual sore arm! I am already feeling 80% better. It's the same every time, within 2 hours of taking an antibiotic, I feel better. I went to boot camp this morning after a long and good night's sleep with no issue. It is going to start raining around noon, we are going for a short ride before then. We both took the day off, even though we do not belong to the synagogue anymore. I will pray on my bike!
    Both my son and granddaughter are getting over a viral thing, too. It sounded like a hospital here at dinner, but we had fun.
    That hurricane looks horrible. It is going to miss my son, in Columbus, GA, but he just bought a house outside of Fayetteville, NC and will be moving there Dec. 1. Hoping there's no damage.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

My prayers for all who might be in the path of this next storm. Hurricanes wouldn't stop me from living in an area any more than blizzards or tornadoes would stop me from living where I've lived all of my life, but, as always, I have a very healthy respect for the power of all these storms. Hope no one suffers from this next one. Have cousins and a sister-in-law that may be affected, so we're keeping an eye on it, too.

Hang in there, Crankin. My hopes for a speedy recovery.

Will say one thing in favor of that hot Florida weather, though. It's good for keeping my weight in check. I actually lost a few pounds, even though we ate out, all week, and even though I cheated and had some desserts. Not surprised, though. My appetite always goes into hibernation in hot weather, only to reappear with cold weather. Going to have to be careful, now that I'm back home. Was fun eating anything I wanted on vacation, though.

Whoa! Talk about an adjustment. Upper 30s when we woke up, this morning. Back to wearing leggings and a sweatshirt when I ride in the mornings, at least. 70s, though, by mid day for the rest of the week, so great weather for riding, once we take care of errands and yard work that needs to be done after a week's absence. Be raking leaves, soon.

Speaking of errands, will stop by the bike shop and see how my new Log Lady custom build single speed is going. Yeah, I've become a real single speed junkie. All my riding, yesterday, was single speed, with both the Krampus SS (on the trails) and the old Log Lady (road and trails) and will be all single speed, probably, until the snow falls and I start riding the fat bikes, regularly. Did see a few fat bikes down in Florida, by the way. Folks use fatties to ride the beaches, there. May try that, next time.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 09-10-2018 at 07:25 AM.

We ended up hiking, as the radar showed it might rain before noon. It was a wise choice, as a rain jacket with a hood protects you on a hike and I just hate riding in rain. We did 3.6 miles in some conservation land in an adjacent town, on trails new to us, although I have been here, on other trails. It did start raining at the end of the hike and is now full blown rain.
    Time for a cozy afternoon.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    We ended up hiking, as the radar showed it might rain before noon. It was a wise choice, as a rain jacket with a hood protects you on a hike and I just hate riding in rain. We did 3.6 miles in some conservation land in an adjacent town, on trails new to us, although I have been here, on other trails. It did start raining at the end of the hike and is now full blown rain.
    Time for a cozy afternoon.
    That sounds like a great choice!

Re. the flu shot, I refuse to get one after the last one I got (back in 2009 or so, at work, given for free to employees). I ended up in bed with chills and body aches and had to take the next day off from work. I know it wasn't the flu but was certainly flu-like symptoms. Symptoms lasted around 24 hours. I am rarely around children and haven't had the flu in a couple of decades, so I'd rather take the risk than get the shot. My doctor doesn't like it, but so be it.

NWG, 30s! Wowza. I would not be ready for that in September. I guess that is why I'll never again live anywhere in the north. I can handle that in January, but not Sept. 10th. It is 90 degrees at the moment here, by the way.

I didn't ride today due to an orthodontist appt., but DH came back with mud spots all over the back of his jersey. We had a lot of rain the previous two days in the late afternoon, and the trail was a mess this morning, he said. Interesting that it was so much worse than usual, as afternoon rainstorms are pretty typical here. I'm planning on doing our usual ride tomorrow, Wed., and Friday. One really nice thing about this time of year in Fla. is that morning rain is very unusual. We usually wake up to beautiful clear weather, making morning rides just fine. Only rarely have had to cut one short because clouds were building up early. Normally we're done, enjoyed a short cool down in the pool, and done with lunch before any rain comes our way.
    Emily

Emily, I noticed that about the Florida weather, too. Was very nice in the morning, with thunderstorms every afternoon. Made for a nice, predictable pattern for bicycling or other outdoor activities.

30s at night is perfectly normal for us in September, so I'm actually relieved to see it. This has been such a strange weather year for us. Was beautiful, this afternoon, right at 70 degrees, so did more riding. Finished with 21.4 miles for the day with all but 2.5 miles being trail miles. Was just warm enough for shorts and a tank top, since there was only a little breeze. Won't be able to ride like that for much longer. Will soon be saying good-bye to my nice tan. Oh, well.

Emily, mild, flu like symptoms like you described are listed as possible side effects. I'd take 24 hours of that any time over the real flu. You don't need to be around kids to worry about catching it. I've had the flu twice, both in March. The first time was the cause of my first child, a little girl, being born at 8 months, without any kidneys. High fevers cause that. The second time, in 1993, I suddenly got a fever at work, on Monday after lunch and it didn't break until Friday night. In addition to the fever of 104, I had all of the other stuff, which went into my chest and I ended up with pneumonia, on antibiotics for 4 weeks. I had to take a leave from teaching fitness classes for 2 months, I was so weak. I was only 40 years old, in great shape and it sucked! I didn't get the shot until the swine flu thing in 2009 and I've had it every year since. So, I am kind of adamant about immunization.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I get that, Crankin, but the other objection that I have to the flu shot is that it so often only covers a small % of strains of the flu. I think last year they said it would only be effective on about 15% of the strains! Not worth it to me to possible feel like a dog for a day, given the small risk of getting the flu. Yes, I'm playing the odds, but given my lifestyle, they are usually on my side. It's a personal decision that everyone has to make.

My mother, who is nearly 84 now, used to get the flu with some frequency when she was a schoolteacher. She has the same kind of reaction to the shot as I do. She stopped getting shots after she retired, and has never gotten the flu since. I know, that's anecdotal, but I understand and support her decision.
    Emily