Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ugh, Crankin. I feel ya on med side effects. You were smart to detour away from the big, bad hill, if your tummy was feeling off. Can't blame you a bit!

NWG, I slipped and fell once in wet leaves on a MTB trail, so I know of what you speak! It was a very low-speed fall, so I didn't really hurt myself, but it happened so fast it kinda freaked me out. I normally don't ride if it's wet out, so it was a surprise.

Got in our normal quota of three 35-mile rides this week. Today's was the fastest and best. Conditions were good, with light winds, so in spots I felt like we had a tailwind -- turns out it was just absence of wind. What a concept! I still only averaged 13.8, but there is a lot of urban riding in this route, plus many road crossings, so I was happy with that. Most of the time, I'm riding at 14-16, but the urban stuff really impacts the overall speed. Not complaining, though. Just happy to be able to ride in shorts and short-sleeve jerseys. It felt just a tiny bit less humid this week, though still plenty warm. Today's high was 95, but that was well after we were done riding. And it certainly beats a hurricane.

I ticked over to 3500 miles on the cyclocomputer today, another plus!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, those are great numbers! Congrats. Pretty hard for me to gauge my average speed with everyone else's because almost all our roads are gently rolling with some pretty steep hills thrown in. Very little in the way of actual flat country. Our daily neighborhood ride, for instance, has no flat sections at all. For me, I'm really happy of I can make 11 mph for an average speed.

Did 15 miles, today, all on the Log Lady. 12 miles of that was an early morning pavement ride, then followed it up with 3 miles of laps on my trails. Love that bike. Got it geared too low for long distance road work, but love the way it climbs those hills. I do have it geared for the trails, though, and it really flies. Yup, one gear really can do it all, as the old single speed saying goes.

Got a new (and long overdue) shorter stem for the Krampus. It's been wearing the too long 70mm factory stem since I got it. Should have changed it to a shorter stem, long ago, but never got around to it. Why I waited so long, I don't know, since changing to a shorter stem on these unisex sized bikes is standard procedure for me with my long legs and short torso. The new stem is a 55mm stem and I can't believe what a difference it makes, not only in the fit, but the way the bike handles, now. Finally, finally, have the the Krampus I always thought the Krampus should be. Going single speed on the Krampus also helped renew an interest in it, so now I have the Krampus setup just the way I want it.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Got a new (and long overdue) shorter stem for the Krampus. It's been wearing the too long 70mm factory stem since I got it. Should have changed it to a shorter stem, long ago, but never got around to it. Why I waited so long, I don't know, since changing to a shorter stem on these unisex sized bikes is standard procedure for me with my long legs and short torso. The new stem is a 55mm stem and I can't believe what a difference it makes, not only in the fit, but the way the bike handles, now. Finally, finally, have the the Krampus I always thought the Krampus should be. Going single speed on the Krampus also helped renew an interest in it, so now I have the Krampus setup just the way I want it.
    Where did you gt the 55 mm stem? I'm trying to find an inexpensive one to test.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

We rescheduled our dinner from last week, so given we have to be there at 5:30, decided to go out around 11:30 for a shortish ride. It was foggy earlier in the AM, and blessedly still cloudy and about 70 when we left. No wind, either. As we were leaving, we decided to switch our plan and did our favorite "flat ride," which is 20 miles. I really like this ride, because it makes me feel like I can ride fast, although there is one short hill at the end. I also like this ride in the spring and fall, because a good part of it is not shaded.
    Nothing crazy, although I can tell I am finally at the time in the cycling season where I do not need to use my small ring for certain small hills like the one on this ride. There is a road at the turn around part of this ride that is a U, and is really lovely, going by some conservation land, teeny rollers, and shade. When it's really cold out, this road is freezing!
    Tons of riders out today. We did one variation at the end, so we didn't have to stop at a light, and went across the highway by my office and through a parking lot of an office park to get back to West Concord.
    Done with my antibiotics today, so no more worry about the sun. Thankfully, it was cloudy and rainy this week!
    Tomorrow, I am going to visit an old friend from when I lived in AZ. She is from here, and still has her family home on the beach, south of Boston. We worked together at one point, and car pooled. Although we remained friends when we no longer worked together, we lost touch a couple of years after I moved. We recently reconnected on Facebook, so it will be cool to see someone I haven't seen for almost 30 years.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sheila, got a Salsa Gide Trail stem in 50mm, not 55 as I posted, above. Got it from Jensen where I get a lot of parts.

Crankin, glad you're reconnecting with an old friend. That's always something worthwhile. Have fun.

We're still at summertime hot, today. 86 for a temp while riding my Gunnar single speed for 20.6 miles of pavement. Wonderful ride, though. The sun is at more of an angle this far north in September, so didn't feel as hot as it might in July. I really see this heat as a gift, since I know just how cold it will be getting, real soon. Beats having to bundle up when riding, that's for sure.

We did have a great time yesterday. Her house here is right on the water. Hard to believe that on 9/16, I was wading in the ocean, and it was 80 degrees on the coast. Had some splendid fried scallops (serious guilt), too. Should have done that short ride before we went, because when we got back, we were beat.
    Today I went to the gym and then came home, showered, ate, did some stuff, and rode to work.I almost didn't make it... I could not get my trunk bag on the rack the right way, to click in. After calling DH, I figured out you had to sort of tilt it up and then slide it. By this time, I had 30 minutes until my client would arrive in my office. Thankfully, I actually had casual type cycling clothes on, because I rode those 3 miles so quickly, I was totally sweat through, as it was humid as hell. One of those times I could not cool down and I didn't have time to cool off before I cleaned up and changed to my work clothes. But, I had a little reprieve as my client was late, so I actually looked like a human.
    The way home was nice and not hot, but the dirt road was full of water in the middle and lots of mud in other spots. I had to get off and walk for a little bit. The neighborhood ride part is nice, but then the next path, by my house had lots of slippery grass and roots. The gravel was OK, but by that time, when I got near the end, I kind of scooted over some final roots. I would have preferred the busy road tonight!
    Florence is going to be hitting us tomorrow. While not the same as in the Carolinas, we could have 5-6 inches of rain. I am not sure I will be riding on Wednesday. Of course, this is my punishment for thinking I will ride on Yom Kippur, and not going to services.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Had company over the weekend and will be getting more, tomorrow, so just getting in what I can for rides. Our weekend guest was an old friend of my hubby's and it was great having her for a visit. She's no bicyclist, but was game to try riding on our Specialized Roll step-thu frame bike that I got as a trainer bike after my accident. She did very well on it for our daily ride around the neighborhood. We'll see how our next guests do on it. Getting a lot of use for that bike, considering we only paid $450 for it. Does make a great beginner's bike, though.

My wonderful lingering taste taste of summer is gone, now, but it was great while it lasted. Highs in the 60s for the next week and barely in the 60s on some days. Back to wearing leggings and a sweatshirt for my riding. Oh, well, this cooler weather really is the norm for September, not the 80 degree stuff.

Did ride the new Pugs out on the trails, yesterday, experimenting with the gearing. Yup, you guessed it, I'm thinking of yet another single speed conversion.

Hello ladies, sorry to be AWOL so long. Too much going on lately.

Hoping those in the path of the storm are ok. The flooding in NC has been nuts. Then a tornado with one death in Richmond. I have been in NY almost a week, had to delay returning to VA last night due to storms.

I have gotten in some good bike rides, have missed a lot due to traveling for family reasons as well as some fun events. And like everyone else on this coast I have had plenty of rained out rides.

Currently my bike is in the shop, having the rear wheel hub replaced. I might have a chance to get a new hybrid bike for free, which is a long story. I don't actually need a hybrid bike, though.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

NY, I thought I didn't need one, either, but I am really enjoying it. I feel like a kid when I ride it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

You've been missed, N.Y. Nice to have you back.

I really can't imagine all that rain and flooding. Have never experienced anything like it. My heart goes out to anyone who has to deal with this flooding and rain.

I never thought I'd ever buy a comfort/hybrid type bike, again. Then I had my accident and then guests and they got to ride my Specialized Roll. One of them even bought one for herself. My bike shop says they are selling the heck out of them. They sell the LIV versions and the brand has been very popular.

Short 11 mile road ride on the Log Lady, then a good brisk 3 miles of trail riding on the Krampus, which is now also a single speed. Getting to the point where all I want to ride is single speed. Kind of locked myself into that style of riding, so just assume that when I post about riding, it's single speed riding. That way I won't have to keep yammering about it.

Heard from my son that the house they have under contract in Fayetteville is fine, but he is very glad they are not living there now.
    We had about 5 hours of torrential rain, with a flash flood warning (nothing like everyone's phones going off with emergency alerts during a therapy session), but none of the flooding seems to be around my area. I will be able to do a ride today, in cloudy 65 degree temperatures. Heaven to me!

ETA:
    I did ride today, and although my speed was in a nice range for me, none of it felt wonderful! It was cool and cloudy when we went out, so I wore a LS jersey, with a sleeveless base layer underneath. I decided my knees should be covered, since it was 62 and windy. That was a mistake. We also left at 11:30, and I was hungry, even though I ate a late and decent breakfast. At mile 8.5, I took my knee warmers off, which required standing on the side of the road and getting my shoes off, too. I forgot to replace my Lara Bar from my last ride, so I ate a Shot Block to quell the hunger. By this time, it was misting, with intermittent spritzing/drizzle. I t wasn't bad, but sort of a clammy feeling, especially after getting overheated. Saw quite a few riders out, including families, as the schools are closed for Yom Kippur (making me feel more guilty I was out on a ride and not fasting!). When we were at the turning point of the loop, one of the roads was down to dirt, for some power company work. That was OK, though, just had to slow. So, all in all, glad I went, I worked hard, but conditions not so great. Just under 20 miles.
    Last edited by Crankin; 09-19-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

My brother, who lives in Wilmington, NC (ground zero for H. Florence) finally got his power on yesterday -- it went out in the wee hours Friday morning. He is fine, as is his house, just a few branches down. He is in the highest part of Wilmington, not near the river or beach, so no flooding. Thank goodness for that! I am sure he was bored without power on for four days, but it sure beats the alternative. He is such a Luddite he doesn't even have a cell phone, and his landline requires electricity, so we didn't even know if he was okay until his power came back on. Needless to day, I (and my poor mom) had been quite worried. He doesn't realize how the media coverage really hyped this up, even in places that were not badly affected. Of course, some spots got hit much harder. Many of the places that suffered the most are in low-lying areas near rivers so have had flooding problems before.

Crankin, glad your son's house in Fayetteville is okay!

Back to our usual rides this week. I've been having to go to the orthodontist every Monday as we're getting close to the end of braces now, so my riding days have shifted to Tu, We, Fr. I do short rides around the campground (to the pool, dumpster, office, and sometimes just around) on my cruiser bike on most days, but the long rides are on those three days, which is working well. It's still very hot, low 90s for highs with heat index over 100 every day, humid, and we've been sunnier than usual as we're getting closer to the end of rainy season. Plus Florence sucked up a lot of the moisture. I actually miss the rain, as it helps cool things off -- and waters my plants. Time to go check the radar and figure out if I need to go out and water plants!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

My friend has a home in Wilmington, but her neighbor sent pictures, and she didn't sustain any damage. Have to wonder how long it will be until she is able to get home, though. She is staying with a niece in the Piedmont, and is having a lovely visit...

Glad your families are okay, Emily and Crankin. Also glad it missed me. The outmost heavy rain was 100 miles north of me. We had a day of gusts between 20-39 mph. And .2" of rain. Seriously.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Glad everyone survived the rains and flooding.

Speaking of rain, rode in the rain, yesterday and it was by choice. Didn't get caught out in the rain; it was raining when I started riding. Very light rain, though, and as much drizzle as anything. Did 14 miles of pavement on the Gunnar, then switched to a fat bike for 5 more miles of laps on my trails. The woods are quite lovely in a light rain and peaceful, too, with the rain dripping from the leaves. Wonderful north woods aroma, to boot. On the road, ride saw a lot of deer and a hen turkey with young ones. Wildlife tend to come out of the woods and hang out at the road edges when it's raining, so have to be extra careful when riding or driving.

The fat bike was my Norco Sasquatch, which is a fully geared bike, not a single speed. The Sasquatch is my top performing fat bike with its carbon fork. Handles more like a standard trail bike than a fat bike. Have to admit, after so much single speed riding on the trails, it was a nice luxury to do my climbing with all those low gears. Forgot how easy it makes the climbing.

Heavier rain, today, plus we have company. Not sure how much riding I'll be able to do. Possible frost, tomorrow night. Yeah, summer is gone. Sigh.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 09-20-2018 at 07:54 AM.