Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Glad you're back home safely, NWG! And that the weather is pleasing. Doesn't sound too chilly. Yet. Thank you for your compliment. I do agree that riding in this "thicker" air here in Florida feels slower, but not sure if it really is, given equal equipment. Some days it can be quite windy, though, and that certainly affects speed.

Hope you feel much better soon, Crankin. I'm kind of surprised that they advised getting a flu shot when you were ill at all, but hope you have no adverse reactions. Enjoy your holiday!

Getting more and more worried about Hurricane Florence, not for me, but for my brother in Wilmington. He's been posting tons of stuff on Facebook about it, so he is well aware and getting ready, but I fear he won't evacuate. His house is sturdy, but I will still worry. He may have an extended power outage if nothing else. I have numerous friends and other family members scattered all over NC, since I spent most of my life there, so I am definitely feeling unsettled about this one... It would be great if you didn't have to evacuate after all, Sheila, but sometimes these storms take last minute bumps one way or the other, so I am sure you'll stay well-informed as it approaches.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, the NP said that as long as you do not have a fever, you can get the flu shot. She said almost everyone questions this, but there's been tons of studies done about the safety of it. They found that tons of people go to the dr for an illness and refuse to get their flu shot, and never come back. So far, I have nothing but the usual sore arm! I am already feeling 80% better. It's the same every time, within 2 hours of taking an antibiotic, I feel better. I went to boot camp this morning after a long and good night's sleep with no issue. It is going to start raining around noon, we are going for a short ride before then. We both took the day off, even though we do not belong to the synagogue anymore. I will pray on my bike!
    Both my son and granddaughter are getting over a viral thing, too. It sounded like a hospital here at dinner, but we had fun.
    That hurricane looks horrible. It is going to miss my son, in Columbus, GA, but he just bought a house outside of Fayetteville, NC and will be moving there Dec. 1. Hoping there's no damage.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

My prayers for all who might be in the path of this next storm. Hurricanes wouldn't stop me from living in an area any more than blizzards or tornadoes would stop me from living where I've lived all of my life, but, as always, I have a very healthy respect for the power of all these storms. Hope no one suffers from this next one. Have cousins and a sister-in-law that may be affected, so we're keeping an eye on it, too.

Hang in there, Crankin. My hopes for a speedy recovery.

Will say one thing in favor of that hot Florida weather, though. It's good for keeping my weight in check. I actually lost a few pounds, even though we ate out, all week, and even though I cheated and had some desserts. Not surprised, though. My appetite always goes into hibernation in hot weather, only to reappear with cold weather. Going to have to be careful, now that I'm back home. Was fun eating anything I wanted on vacation, though.

Whoa! Talk about an adjustment. Upper 30s when we woke up, this morning. Back to wearing leggings and a sweatshirt when I ride in the mornings, at least. 70s, though, by mid day for the rest of the week, so great weather for riding, once we take care of errands and yard work that needs to be done after a week's absence. Be raking leaves, soon.

Speaking of errands, will stop by the bike shop and see how my new Log Lady custom build single speed is going. Yeah, I've become a real single speed junkie. All my riding, yesterday, was single speed, with both the Krampus SS (on the trails) and the old Log Lady (road and trails) and will be all single speed, probably, until the snow falls and I start riding the fat bikes, regularly. Did see a few fat bikes down in Florida, by the way. Folks use fatties to ride the beaches, there. May try that, next time.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 09-10-2018 at 08:25 AM.

We ended up hiking, as the radar showed it might rain before noon. It was a wise choice, as a rain jacket with a hood protects you on a hike and I just hate riding in rain. We did 3.6 miles in some conservation land in an adjacent town, on trails new to us, although I have been here, on other trails. It did start raining at the end of the hike and is now full blown rain.
    Time for a cozy afternoon.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    We ended up hiking, as the radar showed it might rain before noon. It was a wise choice, as a rain jacket with a hood protects you on a hike and I just hate riding in rain. We did 3.6 miles in some conservation land in an adjacent town, on trails new to us, although I have been here, on other trails. It did start raining at the end of the hike and is now full blown rain.
    Time for a cozy afternoon.
    That sounds like a great choice!

Re. the flu shot, I refuse to get one after the last one I got (back in 2009 or so, at work, given for free to employees). I ended up in bed with chills and body aches and had to take the next day off from work. I know it wasn't the flu but was certainly flu-like symptoms. Symptoms lasted around 24 hours. I am rarely around children and haven't had the flu in a couple of decades, so I'd rather take the risk than get the shot. My doctor doesn't like it, but so be it.

NWG, 30s! Wowza. I would not be ready for that in September. I guess that is why I'll never again live anywhere in the north. I can handle that in January, but not Sept. 10th. It is 90 degrees at the moment here, by the way.

I didn't ride today due to an orthodontist appt., but DH came back with mud spots all over the back of his jersey. We had a lot of rain the previous two days in the late afternoon, and the trail was a mess this morning, he said. Interesting that it was so much worse than usual, as afternoon rainstorms are pretty typical here. I'm planning on doing our usual ride tomorrow, Wed., and Friday. One really nice thing about this time of year in Fla. is that morning rain is very unusual. We usually wake up to beautiful clear weather, making morning rides just fine. Only rarely have had to cut one short because clouds were building up early. Normally we're done, enjoyed a short cool down in the pool, and done with lunch before any rain comes our way.
    Emily

Emily, I noticed that about the Florida weather, too. Was very nice in the morning, with thunderstorms every afternoon. Made for a nice, predictable pattern for bicycling or other outdoor activities.

30s at night is perfectly normal for us in September, so I'm actually relieved to see it. This has been such a strange weather year for us. Was beautiful, this afternoon, right at 70 degrees, so did more riding. Finished with 21.4 miles for the day with all but 2.5 miles being trail miles. Was just warm enough for shorts and a tank top, since there was only a little breeze. Won't be able to ride like that for much longer. Will soon be saying good-bye to my nice tan. Oh, well.

Emily, mild, flu like symptoms like you described are listed as possible side effects. I'd take 24 hours of that any time over the real flu. You don't need to be around kids to worry about catching it. I've had the flu twice, both in March. The first time was the cause of my first child, a little girl, being born at 8 months, without any kidneys. High fevers cause that. The second time, in 1993, I suddenly got a fever at work, on Monday after lunch and it didn't break until Friday night. In addition to the fever of 104, I had all of the other stuff, which went into my chest and I ended up with pneumonia, on antibiotics for 4 weeks. I had to take a leave from teaching fitness classes for 2 months, I was so weak. I was only 40 years old, in great shape and it sucked! I didn't get the shot until the swine flu thing in 2009 and I've had it every year since. So, I am kind of adamant about immunization.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I get that, Crankin, but the other objection that I have to the flu shot is that it so often only covers a small % of strains of the flu. I think last year they said it would only be effective on about 15% of the strains! Not worth it to me to possible feel like a dog for a day, given the small risk of getting the flu. Yes, I'm playing the odds, but given my lifestyle, they are usually on my side. It's a personal decision that everyone has to make.

My mother, who is nearly 84 now, used to get the flu with some frequency when she was a schoolteacher. She has the same kind of reaction to the shot as I do. She stopped getting shots after she retired, and has never gotten the flu since. I know, that's anecdotal, but I understand and support her decision.
    Emily

Yeah, they need to do a better job of predicting the strains and developing a universal vaccine. I think that will take awhile. But, with my risk factors (asthma and a tendency toward bronchitis) I will take the risk. This year, I am going to get the pneumonia vaccine, too, but that's only once. I never want that again!
    We had rain all day until 2 pm. I needed a rest day, so I did a 30 minute yoga dvd before work. My dvds are so old (2004) they are starting not to work so well. So despite some sun late in the afternoon, we will be having another rainy morning tomorrow. I already signed up for spin/core and that is probably OK, since the antibiotic I am taking has that sunburn side effect. I had that happen last time, for the first time ever. I will be riding Friday and Saturday, so I hope I can wear long sleeves and perhaps use my granddaughter's 50 spf sunblock that I have here.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We're getting a last delicious taste of summer for the rest of the week with temps right at 80 for a high and lots of sunshine. I'm enjoying it while I can. time to also catch up on some yard work and trail work, while I can. September is a fall month for us and snow is possible.

Mixed a short 6 mile ride with trail work, yesterday, then off to town for some errands.

Emily, I know you have family in N.C., so I hope they will be safe from this approaching storm. Does sound awful.

Oy, my son just bought a home outside Fayetteville... right in the predicted torrential rain zone. They won't be moving until 12/1, but I hope the house is not damaged.

It is raining here. Had a good spin/core class, where so many people asked me how to set up their bikes, I felt like I should have been paid. I may skip boot camp on Friday, to do a 30 mile ride with fresh legs, since I already have my 2x a week weights, etc.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hoping for the best for all those folks in the Carolinas. Not looking good, though.

Beautiful ride for me, today. Sunshine and 80 degrees with a bit of wind, but not too much. Just a great day to be out and riding. Did 22.1 miles on the Log Lady single speed. Even added a mile of rough gravel and sand road for a little variety along the way. This LL is geared a bit too low for pavement work, but it's still doable. Was just a matter of me choosing a very hilly and challenging route to take advantage of this bike's rabbit-like ability to accelerate and climb. Flying down one hill at nearly 30 mph at times and then scurrying up the next hill as fast as I could spin, one hill after another. Talk about fun!

Riding the Log Lady and my other fast single speed, the Gunnar, has changed my riding, radically. It's not just the single speed thing, though that's an important part of the equation. It's also very much the pure joy that comes from riding a very quick, agile, easy rolling, oh so easy to pedal, light weight steel bike. Really makes me dread taking the fat bikes with their big heavy wheels for any long rides, now. They really are collecting dust, especially now that I have the Krampus set up for single speed trail work. Will still need the fatties for my winter riding, of course. You do need those fat tires for snow riding. For warm weather riding, though? Why ride a lumber truck when I can ride a sports car? These two racing single speed MTBs have really put the joy back into my road riding. Definitely one of my best ever biking decisions to try.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 09-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks for the well wishes re. my NC family. I have family all over the state, from west to east, including my brother in Wilmington, which looks like ground zero for this awful storm. Fortunately, he's lived there for decades and knows how to prepare. He and his friends have helped each other board up and eat up the food in their freezers! They are as ready as they'll ever be, and are in the highest elevation in town, not near any water, so should be okay re. flooding, though they may have to deal with an extended power outage.

We also have family on my husband's side in SC, mostly in Columbia. They may get some high wind and lots of rain but should be okay that far inland, we hope.

This is gonna be a doozy, and although I feel super thankful that Flo is not coming to Flo-rida, I am super worried about people in the Carolinas, since I know so many of them!

Back in our neck of the woods, we did our usual ride yesterday and today, and it remains hot and humid. Nothing new there, but we'll take boring over hurricanes!
    Emily

Keep us updated, Emily and anyone else affected by the storm.

Back home, our lawn rake is getting a good workout on our trails, now that the leaves have started to fall. My main problem with the leaves is that they make the trail, ahead, hard to see and distinguish and that can be dangerous when doing a downhill run. Wet leaves are also notorious for causing wheels to slip, though this really doesn't affect fat bikes or plus bikes with their wider tires. Have been working hard, though, to make most of the trails safe and enjoyable to ride with standard MTB wide tires, now that I ride a couple of the single speed MTBs with standard 2.25" wide tires. Again, running these standard wheel MTBs on the trails is a very different experience than running the big heavy fat bikes. Nice to have the option to ride any of these bikes on the trail when I feel like one or the other.

Have definitely reverted back into more of a roadie, though, wether it's pavement, gravel, sand or smooth trails. In our low traffic area with decently wide roads, road biking is about as safe as road biking gets. Our MTB trails, though, can be very challenging.

A friend of my hubby is coming for a visit, today, and then my in-laws, next week, so lots of housework to do. Will get out and ride when I can.

You are busy, NWG...

So, I did ride today, but only did 23/30 miles. It is still partly cloudy, a bit humid, but not too hot, about 75. I slathered myself with #50 SPF for babies, which is very thick, and #70 on my face, so as not to get the sunburn side effect from doxycycline. I also wore my LS Terry jersey that is UPF. It's very thin, and people say they wear it riding in the desert or FL, but I was sweating like crazy. Did not want a repeat of what happened last time. As usual, it was just Jack and I. He knows my capabilities and I generally have been feeling great riding, but not today. I think it was the meds and some Brussel sprouts making my tummy very unhappy! After just a couple of miles, I felt like my breakfast was coming up, and I did not eat anything unusual. This ride has climbing, but by the time we got to the super climb (steep, like 12% in one spot), I said no way, so we rerouted a nice way to long crazy downhill and then on to what used to be one of the worst pot holed roads in the area. It's all paved, yay! But, I knew after the climb at the end, again steep, but shorter, I was going to head back on the main road. The part of the ride that comes after this is kind of ugly, anyway (business park and bad roads).
    My average never went below 14, was close to 15 for the first half, which is good for me, but I don't want to pay the price. Hope to do a longer ride with DH tomorrow and hope the sunblock works then. It's my last day on the meds.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura