Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone ever used the On-One Mary bar for mountainbiking? I had them on the dual suspension bike I briefly owned in 2012. I think I liked them, but I sold the bike so quickly I can't really judge. They are similar to the Salsa Bend Bars, but more narrow. Opinions?
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

NWG, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to switch to flat pedals. I am not such a speedy rider that I care about any differences in speed, etc, but at this point, I feel safer being clipped in. I cannot remember the brand of these pedals, but they *are* much better than the first ones I had on my Jamis, about 10 years ago. They are weighted to be on the side with the cleat, which is what I preferred. They don't swing and flip the way the other ones do, but I think that the fact it was dark out when I rode to the gym, and my light, obviously was not pointed near the pedal, had me starting out on the wrong side. If I had attempted to flip it, it would have stayed. The point is, this is my own lack of coordination and ability. I've mentioned before that I have a lot of difficulty going back and forth between my bikes. Once I get something in my muscle memory, it is hard to switch, even if I am switching to something I was good at before! My cure for this is to make myself switch more than I want. I am comfortable on the Ariel and I am having no issues going between my Speedplays on my Trek and the SPDs. That has been an issue in the past. Given that I will probably never ride on the flat side, except for going to the gym (I used my bike shoes when I went to work), I just need to work on this a little more. I may take some rides around town on the flat side, but I can't imagine riding in traffic that way... my one attempt to do that a few years ago, almost got me killed when trying to make a left! I almost froze with fear when we did the bike tour of Chicago! It was only the specter of extreme embarrassment in front of people who could barely ride and teens on the tour (along with the fact the leader made me the sweep because I was "experienced") that made me not quit and turn around. It was definitely more the flat pedals than the traffic.
    So, it's my own anxiety and klutziness, which pisses me off!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    NWG, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to switch to flat pedals. I am not such a speedy rider that I care about any differences in speed, etc, but at this point, I feel safer being clipped in. I cannot remember the brand of these pedals, but they *are* much better than the first ones I had on my Jamis, about 10 years ago. They are weighted to be on the side with the cleat, which is what I preferred. They don't swing and flip the way the other ones do, but I think that the fact it was dark out when I rode to the gym, and my light, obviously was not pointed near the pedal, had me starting out on the wrong side. If I had attempted to flip it, it would have stayed. The point is, this is my own lack of coordination and ability. I've mentioned before that I have a lot of difficulty going back and forth between my bikes. Once I get something in my muscle memory, it is hard to switch, even if I am switching to something I was good at before! My cure for this is to make myself switch more than I want. I am comfortable on the Ariel and I am having no issues going between my Speedplays on my Trek and the SPDs. That has been an issue in the past. Given that I will probably never ride on the flat side, except for going to the gym (I used my bike shoes when I went to work), I just need to work on this a little more. I may take some rides around town on the flat side, but I can't imagine riding in traffic that way... my one attempt to do that a few years ago, almost got me killed when trying to make a left! I almost froze with fear when we did the bike tour of Chicago! It was only the specter of extreme embarrassment in front of people who could barely ride and teens on the tour (along with the fact the leader made me the sweep because I was "experienced") that made me not quit and turn around. It was definitely more the flat pedals than the traffic.
    So, it's my own anxiety and klutziness, which pisses me off!
    I've considered getting these Funn Mambas double-sided pedals. I like them because the flat side look like the type of mountainbike pedals that work for me well. I also have a more 'around town' double-sided inexpensive set. The SPD side are fine, but the flat is pretty cheesy. NOt sure if I'll spend the money, but I do like them. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...||prd|440324US

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Actually, those look like the new Spd pedals I have on my Guru. But, they are double sided. The big platform eliminated any and all hot spots I was getting from less float.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Actually, those look like the new Spd pedals I have on my Guru. But, they are double sided. The big platform eliminated any and all hot spots I was getting from less float.
    I have some pedals that look like them on my CAADX (cyclocross), they have the spd cleats on both sides. I love the big platforms. That is what I'm thinking with the Mambas. They look like the ones I already have that are so good, but with a flat side.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 09-08-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Hey Emily, there are people who are cancelling their trips to Hunting Island this week because of the storm. They want recommendations for campgrounds on the Gulf Coast. Any ideas?

And where are you approximately? Will you have to leave?

I have my reservations made for a hotel near a state park just outside of Atlanta. Easier to avoid the traffic when I arrive. But near enough that I can go into town if I desire. When I stay in Atlanta, it seems like the entire trip is spent negotiating freeways. And I don't know where anything is. I want to just be able to wander and find a lot to do.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

No pressure from me on switching to flat pedals. As always, use what works for you and the way you like to ride. I fully respect everyone's choice to do things their own way.

Last ride, today, of 12 miles, then dropped the rental bike back at the bike shop, then took the trolley back to the motel. Can't say I'll miss the bike, but I will say that I enjoyed this visit to Florida. I especially liked the open horizons on both sides of me via the bay and the ocean. Really helped to comfort me and my love of the open spaces, something I don't get a lot up in our ever dense north woods.

Emily, now I understand why you avoid riding on the weekends. Wow! Haven't so many bicyclists out at one time since my Chicago days. Bikes, everywhere, today, compared to only a few, yesterday, on Friday. They all come pouring out on Saturday, apparently. The narrow bike lanes on the streets can't begin to fit them all.

Early morning flight out, tomorrow. Can't wait to get home. Nice visit, though.

So glad you had fun NW. Yeah, bike paths on Saturdays=not so much fun. But, it's always so nice to be outside in a different environment.

Sheila, my pedals are Shimano. I showed DH your link. Right now, neither of us want to spend that $ for pedals on a bike that is not my main bike. When I retire, I think I will be riding it more for errands, and that time is not so far away, 2-2.5 years.

Today was a fun ride that had a purpose. I always enjoy myself way more on these kinds of rides. We needed to get a bunch of things at a gourmet farm market in the next town. It's really only 5+ miles away, but we took the long way, 9 miles, there. I rode my Ariel and DH rode the Guru, with 2 panniers. I volunteered to take stuff in my Topeak trunk bag, but he wanted to carry it all, and I didn't complain. I have a bunch of more casual cycling clothes acquired over the past 10 years, so I enjoy that part, too. It's partly cloudy and breezy, but was predicted to go up to 71. It was 66 when we left and it's 66 now! We bought sandwiches at the market and ate outside, and I think I got a bit chilled. What a change from the past 2 weeks. Then, when we took off, it was spritzing. I thought, oh no, now I will really get sick, but that stopped and eventually, we had a climb, where I stopped feeling chilled. A total of 15 miles, we got everything we needed, and I feel a bit less congested.
    Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 61, and in the 40s overnight. I can't wait to ride!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sheila, my pedals are Shimano. I showed DH your link. Right now, neither of us want to spend that $ for pedals on a bike that is not my main bike.
    Yes, this is why I haven't bought them. And are they what I hope? Or just very expensive, low performance pedals?

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Hey Emily, there are people who are cancelling their trips to Hunting Island this week because of the storm. They want recommendations for campgrounds on the Gulf Coast. Any ideas?

And where are you approximately? Will you have to leave?

I have my reservations made for a hotel near a state park just outside of Atlanta. Easier to avoid the traffic when I arrive. But near enough that I can go into town if I desire. When I stay in Atlanta, it seems like the entire trip is spent negotiating freeways. And I don't know where anything is. I want to just be able to wander and find a lot to do.
    Hi Sheila,

The only place we've camped on the gulf coast is Grayton Beach State Park, which is east of Destin. We absolutely loved it there and would highly recommend it. There are other state parks (Topsail Hill, I think is the name) along there as well as commercial parks. I am sure anywhere along the gulf coast would be nice if your friends can get a spot.

We should be fine here. We are just west of Orlando. We had to evacuate a year ago when Hurricane Irma was forecast to come up right through Florida, so we headed far enough west (Mississippi) to be out of the storm's path.

This time around I'm super worried about my brother, who lives in Wilmington, NC. He is really good about hurricane preparation and can head to the western part of the state to my mother's if needed, but I just heard on the Weather Channel that even far inland SC and NC could be iffy. With memories of other hurricanes that caused major damage far inland (Hugo that made it all the way to western NC and Fran in central NC, where we lived at the time), even just getting off the coast isn't always enough.

Glad you have a safe place to go. I am really hoping Florida is quiet this season, but I don't want anyone else to suffer either.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Last ride, today, of 12 miles, then dropped the rental bike back at the bike shop, then took the trolley back to the motel. Can't say I'll miss the bike, but I will say that I enjoyed this visit to Florida. I especially liked the open horizons on both sides of me via the bay and the ocean. Really helped to comfort me and my love of the open spaces, something I don't get a lot up in our ever dense north woods.

Emily, now I understand why you avoid riding on the weekends. Wow! Haven't so many bicyclists out at one time since my Chicago days. Bikes, everywhere, today, compared to only a few, yesterday, on Friday. They all come pouring out on Saturday, apparently. The narrow bike lanes on the streets can't begin to fit them all.
    Yes, Saturdays are crazy here. All the folks who work during the week are out, and many with kids. We just won't do it. We have occasionally ridden on a Sunday morning, during church time, which isn't quite as bad, but there are several large churches along our route, and if you hit the cross road right when one of the services are letting out, woah. Prepare to wait. So normally we just ride on weekdays.

I'm really glad you enjoyed your riding here. I think that the novelty of riding in a new place always makes it more fun and interesting, as you can appreciate the different vistas, sights, and scenery. That was one of the things we have loved most about traveling around the country and riding in different states. So much diversity, and all have something to offer.

You'll have to let us know if you have any trouble adapting to the weather back in northern Wisconsin after being in hot and humid Florida for a week! I've been here so long now that I get chilled in the slightest breeze, it seems. We're heading to NC for a family visit next month, and even though I love NC in October, I am sure I'm gonna freeze!
    Emily

Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 61, and in the 40s overnight. I can't wait to ride!
    LOL...brrrrrr...that is hiking weather for me!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Hi Sheila,

The only place we've camped on the gulf coast is Grayton Beach State Park, which is east of Destin. We absolutely loved it there and would highly recommend it. There are other state parks (Topsail Hill, I think is the name) along there as well as commercial parks. I am sure anywhere along the gulf coast would be nice if your friends can get a spot.

We should be fine here. We are just west of Orlando. We had to evacuate a year ago when Hurricane Irma was forecast to come up right through Florida, so we headed far enough west (Mississippi) to be out of the storm's path.

This time around I'm super worried about my brother, who lives in Wilmington, NC. He is really good about hurricane preparation and can head to the western part of the state to my mother's if needed, but I just heard on the Weather Channel that even far inland SC and NC could be iffy. With memories of other hurricanes that caused major damage far inland (Hugo that made it all the way to western NC and Fran in central NC, where we lived at the time), even just getting off the coast isn't always enough.

Glad you have a safe place to go. I am really hoping Florida is quiet this season, but I don't want anyone else to suffer either.
    Thanks Emily, looks like Florida is out of the path. I'm borderline. About 50 miles north of Savannah. We'll see. Original reservation was for Tuesday, and everything has slowed. But I think it will (maybe!) be okay here.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Emily, I find I can acclimate, in just a short amount of time. It feels cool this morning (51), but it is also cloudy, which makes it feel, well, cool.
    This is my favorite temperature to ride in. No need for the full onslaught of winter gear, but can wear my regular LS jerseys with a vest or base layer and knickers or leg/knee warmers. I really wish we had a longer time with these temperatures. When I first started riding, we did, and any 85-95 degree spells were never more than 3 days, usually once or twice a summer.
    So, as usual for the Jewish New Year season, I cannot shake this allergy/sinus thing. I went to the Minute Clinic this morning, no wait, and I now should be feeling better soon, as I met their stringent criteria for a sinus infection. Got my flu shot, too.
    Since my chest is clear, I may go out for a short flat ride, or at least a walk later. DS and granddaughter are coming over for a holiday dinner tonight.My DIL has to work, and since she took the last 2 Sundays off, I told her not to feel bad about skipping the dinner tonight.
    Hoping you avoid the storm, Sheila.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I'm back home, safe and sound and oh, so, content. As for acclimating, highs in the 60s for our late afternoon bike ride and, no, no problem adapting at all and, in fact, I was amazed at just how much more energy I had compared to riding in the Florida. My average speed and acceleration was MUCH higher, this afternoon, than anything I could manage in Florida. Now, part of that was undoubtedly due to riding a better bike, but I think part of it was also the climate. I think that dense, sticky, hot Florida air is slower to ride in that our cool, thinner north woods air. Emily, that impresses me all the more with those miles you pull, down there in Florida. Good for you, girl.

Sheila, best I can find is that those Mary bars have 40 degrees of back sweep, compared to about 45 degrees of back sweep on the Jones H bars I was using. I did not like the Jones with its radical back sweep, so I suspect that Mary bar would be similar. I can do the Surly Moloku at 34 degrees for trail work, but 40 degrees? I'd have to try one. Still prefer a standard MTB bar for the really techy stuff, though.