Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

To disable ads, please log-in.

N.Y., it's mostly a matter of the added weight on the wider tires that becomes a factor, but the difference between a 25 and a 28 or 32 is pretty minimal and you can easily compensate for this by choosing a lighter model of tire. Better yet, if you go tubeless, you can actually reduce weight with a 32 if you are now running tubes in the narrower tires. I go tubeless on all my bikes, now.

Assuming equal weight and roughly similar rolling resistance, a wider tire can actually increase your speed, since going wider also means going taller on your wheel diameter. If you're looking at gravel bikes with those 700x35 class tires, tread design is going to be a big factor. If you plan to ride a lot of pavement, don't get too aggressive on the tread.

Back when I was riding drop bar road bikes, my average speed riding on pavement did not change much, if at all, between my carbon Domane with 700x28s and my Salsa Warbird (great gravel bike) aluminum with 700x35s. Can't remember the exact tires I had on the Warbird, but they were fairly smooth in the center with a row of knobs on the sides that didn't touch the pavement unless I went into a low turn. When I went into sand, though, those side lugs made a huge difference. I could ride the Warbird in sand and loose stuff whereas I absolutely could not ride the Domane with its usual road slicks in loose stuff. What I loved about the Warbird, most, though, was that it was noticeably more comfortable to ride on rough pavement and probably safer, too, with those wider tires. Don't miss the Domane at all, but I do miss that Warbird. It was a very capable bike.

The tires on your Warbird sound a lot like the Schwalbe Sammy Slicks on my CAADX. Great in sand. Had to get used to them on pavement, but I can commute on that bike with no problem. For a faster rolling tire, Schwalbe Marathon Plus's are what I (and a lot of people) would recommend. I had the idea of changing back and forth depending on my terrain. Ended up at the beach on the Marathons (yeah, bad idea), and on pavement with the Sammy's. Always the wrong tire for the wrong situation. Now I have the Sammy slicks on the bike. I'd rather have a little more rolling resistance than not enough tread when I need it. But I actually ride that bike in the surf. So it's all perspective. Honestly, it's my favorite bike just because I can do so much with it. I use 700 x 35, btw. The Marathons also come in a non plus, cheaper version. They are prone to punctures. (Ask me how I know, no, don't!).

Marathons, for road, commuting. Whatever. They work offroad, too. Not as well as gnarly tires. But pretty good.
    https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...yAAEgLO_PD_BwE

Schwalbe Sammy slick
    https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...es/sammy_slick

Caveat, if you are used to only fast road tires, you will need to adjust to a different feeling. But that is not a bad thing. The Sammy Slicks were the first tires I used after 5 years of nothing but fast 23mm road tires. So it was a little weird. The thicker tires provide a lot of safety if a variety of conditions. You are less limited, and can try new things. No more worrying about every little bump. It increases my confidence in general and translates to the road. Plus they are fun, not so serious.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 10-04-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!