Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Unhappy nxt spin bike pain

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, all! I just got an NXT spin bike and am experiencing some knee pain (insides of knee to kneecap). I have spun on the blade before with no problems, so this is surprising. Does anyone have this bike and know their settings on the bike? I am 5'4 and trying to figure out the best positioning. I also am going to change out the pedals and get clipless shoes. Thanks (:

Quote Originally Posted by spinning415 View Post
    Hi, all! I just got an NXT spin bike and am experiencing some knee pain (insides of knee to kneecap). I have spun on the blade before with no problems, so this is surprising. Does anyone have this bike and know their settings on the bike? I am 5'4 and trying to figure out the best positioning. I also am going to change out the pedals and get clipless shoes. Thanks (:
    Hello and welcome

You are pronating the knee to the inside (toward the bike), while rotating the ball of the foot slightly to the outside. If you sit in a chair you should be able to replicate this with your feet on the floor. You may need to lift your heels a little.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

thanks for your reply! (: I will try to work on that. Would clip ins help knee pain? is it a good investment?

Quote Originally Posted by spinning415 View Post
    thanks for your reply! (: I will try to work on that. Would clip ins help knee pain? is it a good investment?
    As long as everything is lined up so that you are pedaling in a neutral position, then yes. That doesn't mean the cleats are straight forward. They have to be adjusted to compensate for the natural way you pedal. You really need a decent bike fitting if you go clipless. That should work with a regular bike in a shop with the correct pedals. Then you could use those same shoes on a spin bike, assuming your saddle height (seat height) and handlbar high and reach are good. Probably more than you want for a spin bike. OTOH, it would be beneficial. You could call around to local bike shops and see if they can help you with clipless on a spin bike. See if they know what you are talking about, or seem confused or uninterested.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

You really can't do a bike fit yourself, but look through this site to get an idea what I meant.

http://www.bikefit.com/

And in particular:

https://blog.bikefit.com/how-to-fit-a-road-bicycle/

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

You really need to get set up properly or you will end up doing some major long term damage (speaking from experience). Can you take it back to the store you purchased it from? If you bought online, might be worth it to see if a gym/bike store near you has the same bike it and see if you can get a knowledgeable associate to help you. I have a peloton and tried to set it up myself (disaster) -- I spun for 2 years with an incorrect form and hurt my back. I went back to peloton and the adjustment was monumental. I'm back on the spin bike (very very slowly) but in a very upright position. Good luck!!