Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

It's August! Riding through the heat.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I rode 21 miles this morning, as we have storms approaching. Hoping I get out and do my errands before they start!
    I did a route I did about a month ago, where I ride over to the other side of town, into Carlisle and a teeny corner of Westford on the road, and then catch the bike trail back as far as I can take it in Acton, to get back over the highway, closer to my house. It was not too hot, but the humidity is building.
    I felt good and my back has been much better since I started doing a new stretch/move, I saw online. However, there's one gradual hill as I am on the road to where I catch the trail, and my ribs started aching. The actual spot where I have the bruise is much better, NWG, do you use Arnica gel? It really speeds up healing bruises. But, I got through that, for the nice downhill and onto the trail, which was quiet. My LBS now has their back door/ramp set up, adjacent to the trail, which is nice.
    Once I get off the road, I have a small climb and then I have to wait at a light to get across the highway. Some jerk, turning left, turned in front of me; he was the second car turning, but the first had plenty of time. However, I saw it and slowed. He had his windows open, so I used the occasion to swear loudly at him. After this, I have 2 hills, one about 8%, so I slowed down, for the rest of the way.
    I may ride to work tomorrow, much earlier than I need to, so I won't sweat to death. I am done at 3:45, so then I can take a longer and shadier way home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

August, already? Oh, my. Seems like my summer is just beginning since I'm just several days back into riding after my accident. Not complaining, though. Just glad to be back in the saddle, again.

Crankin, your weather sounds like ours. Been muggy by day, followed by thunderstorms. We have another big band of storms coming our way, so for my afternoon ride, I may actually hit the trainer. Not crazy about it, but that's what it's for.

No, never tried any creme or gels to speed up the healing from the bruising, but will keep that in mind if I ever get bruised, again. Thanks.

I actually remembered to say "rabbit rabbit" this morning before uttering any other words. I hope it brings me luck for this month!

DH is doing much better. He's fine with walking now, just a little slower than usual. Today we walked up to CVS, where we needed to buy a few things, and changed his bandages afterwards. One of his wounds (hip) has graduated to no bandage, and the others are all getting better daily. I would not be surprised if he's not ready to do a shorter than our usual ride next week. That would be awesome!

Since I had to do laundry today, I rode loops around the RV park on my cruiser bike while my clothes were washing in the park laundry room. And I also worked out in the gym. So I got a few miles in as well as light weights and some yoga + core work.

I noticed on bikerides.com, where I track my miles, that I only need 8.04 miles to achieve 2900 for the year so far, so I am thinking I might head out for an hour tomorrow. If I go out just 30 minutes one way, then turn around, the chances of anything happening are slim, and I'm still close enough to hoof it, if I had to. Will consider this. I am definitely missing the riding but want to stay close to home base until DH is able to join me again.

It's funny, I've been urging him for ages to throw out his ancient SIDI road shoes, and now that the cleat broke, he finally did it. As he said, end of an era. He has been riding in those shoes since he bought his Trek road bike in 2002! The heels were totally worn down, and he'd replaced the heel plates as well as other parts (buckles) more than once. They were good shoes, but still... 16 years is enough. Fortunately, he had good Crank Brothers pedals from the MTB he traded in, so he's now put them on his Trek and will ride in his Keen sandals for awhile. They are nearly brand-new. I love mine, especially for summer, so we'll be the dork twins: Trek road bikes and Keens!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I cannot believe your DH had shoes that long, Emily. Even with repair, I am very hard on shoes, so 4-6 years is my limit. I am pretty sure no one around you will think anything of your shoe/pedal/bike combo!
    Today is brutally humid and hot, so I left for work at 7:45, even though my first appointment was at 9. I took some shady roads off of Main St., just a little variation, since I do not ride there the way I drive. This brought my grand total commute this morning to 3.1 miles. I was sweaty, though and had to use all of my hygiene products. I rode in an Athleta sundress, which is wicking, with my commuter bike shorts under. They are long, so you could see them. I hate to ride looking like there's nothing under my dress!
    The way home was not so nice. It has become partly cloudy, and it's breezy, but it feels like a humid day in Arizona, in July. My intention was to ride home the longer way, and I did start out on that route, but it was so uncomfortable, I was already past the point where I could easily get back to Main St. So, I turned on the next street, which is the way I ride there. It's pretty, but to make a left on the main road to get home from there is horrible. It's an incline with little line of sight, because there's an extended walk/block wall on the left side of the street. There is a crosswalk there, but on the right, and the only time cars seem to stop is when I have my granddaughter in the stroller. But, there's a dirt road right before the bad intersection that I can take for 1/4 a mile, that goes to the neighborhood next to mine. It gets wet with rain, and it's rutted, but it's cool and pretty. Not so great with 25 mm tires. I started cautiously and then I saw 2 Comcast trucks heading down there. I stopped, and finally, they backed out. By this time I was freaked out, there were patches of sand, so I kind of hoofed with one foot until the pavement. Then, I have to take another trail, very short, to my street. The beginning is rooty and not graded well, but most of it is maintained by our association.
    I need a different bike to ride on these. DH is fine with it, but I am not. Still glad I rode, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

LOL...yeah, Crankin, my DH is kinda crazy that way. He's very frugal. His road bike, a Trek 5200 (US Postal Service model) is also from 2002. He just keeps replacing components and doesn't feel a strong urge to spend thousands of dollars to replace it just yet. So the Sidis just kinda followed in that vein!

You are right, though. Even though there are some die-hard full-kit roadies even on the trail here, they are few and far between. We see some really interesting getups, especially people way overdressing in this heat and humidity. There is one lady we call the "caped crusader" who rides all over town on a cruiser bike. She always wears a white cape (lightweight fabric) and a white, wide-brimmed hat. She's about my age, I'd guess. Won't even look at you or speak as you ride or walk by the other way. Just one of the many cycling characters we encounter day-to-day around these parts!

I ended up not riding yesterday as I'd thought I might, because I woke up at 4:30 am and never could get back to sleep. As a result, I was really dragging. So, I ended up doing chores and errands instead and rode this morning, after a much better night of sleep. I got in 15 miles, as I didn't want to go too far from home with DH not able to come bail me out in a pinch. On the way back, I stopped at the vet to pick up refills for our dog's meds. So it was productive and also got me above 2900 miles on the year. It felt good to ride again, though it's kinda weird riding solo. Glad I don't have to do that too often, as I much prefer to ride with DH. Hopefully he'll be back in the saddle next week.
    Emily

Those cycling characters are unique and make it interesting! We have the "half naked crazy guy, playing an instrument," who rides up and down Main St. Sometimes he rides on the sidewalk, but not always. He is incredible. Rides no hands playing a guitar, holding a boombox, playing a trombone, holding a beachball. There was an article about him in the local paper. He lives in the next town, is open about his mental health challenges, and says riding helps him deal with getting divorced. He was out near the end of our club rally, and as sweep, he certainly helped the stragglers I was behind, giving them a good laugh, 5 miles from the end of the ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Good one, Crankin!
    Emily

I'm going to look at a Specialized Ariel Sport bike tomorrow; I've been searching for a commuter/hybrid/gravel ready bike with mounts, etc for months. This has hydraulic disc brakes and a front suspension fork, big tires. There are a few other bikes that meet my requirements, but they either do not come in an x-small size, or are out of stock in that size. Found a new 2017 one at Belmont Wheelworks... it was in their "kid's store!" So, tomorrow, when it's 92 out in the afternoon, I will go down there to test it. DH convinced me to look for something that would give me something different than my 2 road bikes, one of which has a rack, so the ability to go on dirt roads/double track was the thing that made this stand out. We actually have some dirt roads in surrounding towns.
    I will report back tomorrow. We are going to ride early in the AM, to avoid the heat. Took a short, 2 mile walk around 9 AM, before the tornado/flash flood warnings started going off. We just had torrential rain, but there was a tornado west of here. Spent the rest of the day celebrating my granddaughter's 2nd birthday, with a family lunch, after which, we went to the local farm to see the chickens and goats.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I thought about you, Crankin, when I saw on the news about the Webster, MA tornado. Wasn't sure how far from that area you are but glad you only got rain!

I'll be looking forward to hearing about the Specialized Ariel test ride. Sounds like fun (except for the heat!)
    Emily

Another cyclist hits the pavement

Yesterday I was walking our dog when one of our friends at the RV park, a senior triathlete, came riding by in his truck. He was all bandaged up -- side of head, elbow, and had a black eye. He knew about my DH's crash last Monday and said that he had "joined the club". Sheesh!

He said he was riding (solo, as always) on the trail we ride this past Thursday, and all of a sudden, he was down. He doesn't remember what happened and doesn't think any obstacle was in the trail. He was bleeding pretty heavily, so someone who passed him insisted on taking him to the ER, where they patched him up. He is older (74) but very fit.

He is shaken up since he doesn't remember what happened and doesn't remember hitting the pavement, so he must have lost consciousness briefly. He was wearing a helmet as he always does, and he thinks the helmet jamming into his left temple resulted in the cut and bruising there, but he knows it could have been worse if he hadn't been wearing one!

I am shaken up because of both this man and my DH, crashing out (both on their left sides) in the past week. This is going to make me nervous to ride. Between the three of us, all have had a relatively serious crash in just over a year, including my own.
    Emily

Sorry about your friend, Emily. Sometimes the littlest thing can bring you down, so if he hit a tiny twig or stone the wrong way and then crashed and hit his head, well, then you might not remember. On the other hand, I would get checked out, if I were him. Quite a few years ago, someone I know was found by a police woman, passed out on the ground in West Concord, village. She went out riding early in the AM, without eating, thinking that well, she went to 5:30 AM spin class without eating, so it must be OK. It was not! Heat, hills, and other things come into play.
    You just can't let this stop you. I know, you have not, so take a day or two off and by then, you will miss riding.
    Did a 24 mile ride this morning, and am very glad I went out at 8:30. We included the same new bit of the bike path, but we rode to the path another way, sans hills, and only went one way on the path. Then we rode back through Carlisle, up a hill and back through both of the town centers. I thought it might be quieter with cyclists today because the PMC is this weekend, and all the people who train for it seem to come to my area! What horrible weather for the riders in that event; torrential rain yesterday and heat today. Several small groups passed us in the first 5 miles and then we tagged on to the back of a slower group for just a little bit. The path was busy, just a few people who seemed oblivious, and all walkers.
    Webster is about 40 miles southwest of here, on the border of CT. I've ridden there... and my cousin was the editor of the local paper there for a long time.
    So, I bought my new bike! I was worried they would be rude to me, but the shop we went to definitely had different kinds of sales people than when I bought my mountain bike there in 2004. An older couple my age waited on us and they had the bike there waiting. I tested it on a block on the street (it's busy), the sidewalk, and a big parking lot. It's a matte olive green/gray, rides like a dream. Brakes and shock are great. The price was right, we got 250.00 off. I need to get a lot of accessories, special mounts for my lights (we buy a brand from the UK), campus pedals, and a rack. So, I won't be riding it until we come back from Canada.
    DH commented that this is the first time we have ever walked out of a bike shop, with only the thing we intended to purchase! However, I am burning up the internet now, buying my shwag.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Emily, not remembering anything about the impact happened to me on my crash and from talking to others that have had crashes of various types, blacking out on the actual details of the impact is not unusual. On my crash, I remember riding up the boulder as I had done a 100 times, but then it's all a mental blank until I found my self laying on my back, looking up at the sky. Can't remember a single detail about the impact and, honestly, that's fine with me, because it must have been horrific. Pretty sure I must have passed out for a time, but, like I said, still don't know what actually happened.

Crankin, I think you'll like a bike with those wider 37mm or so tires. That kind of gravel bike can be very useful, not to mention comfortable;e to ride.

Spent the last 4 days at a resort in Brainerd, Mn., for a family reunion. There was a very nice 10 mile long paved bike trail next to the entrance. The resort entrance, though, is situated at the top of a mile long or so hill. That meant that going right or left from the resort took me into a long and steep up and down, but overall, downhill run. There were also several even steeper drops to small lakes on the side of the trail.

I averaged 10 miles a day, but those 10 miles were a real workout because I took my Gunnar single speed. Lots and lots of steep climbs with very little in the way of level sections. On a course like that with a single speed there is no loafing. It's either sprint or walk. I should have taken the other single speed, my Log Lady, because it's geared lower and has smaller wheels, which help with climbing, but I did fine with the Gunnar, though it was right at my limit. Hubby tried riding this trail on his fat bike, but didn't last too long on the climbs, so we rode around the resort for our daily together ride.

Back home, this afternoon, to ride my trails with the fat bike. Ughh! I do not like the way my head bounces around riding my single track. My neck does not like it, yet. Still uncomfortable. Beginning to worry about the wear and tear on my body with all that pounding. I am at the age where stuff like a detached retina is a real possibility. No problem riding gravel, but the gnarly, rooty single track that I have is NOT comfy for me to ride, right now. Just when I thought I was back in shape for trail riding, again. Beginning to wonder if I should abandon it for good. I've already paid a stiff price for doing it.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-06-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Here is my new addition. It's still an incomplete build, no pedals, rack, bag, or mounts for my lights and GPS. But, we finally have them all chosen or ordered.
    Not a great shot, as it's in it's natural habitat, in the basement!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0144.jpeg 
Views:	200 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	18345  
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, congratulations on the new bike. I think you'll enjoy that addition to your stable! Different bikes for different things, I've always thought. Also, thanks for your comments on our friend. He did get checked out medically, and I've chatted with him several times -- he seems just fine mentally. He's just walking now and allowing his wounds to heal. He is an avid swimmer and says he misses that most -- he can't go in the water now with open wounds. I didn't know this originally, but he had to get five staples in his head! He doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get back on the bike. I told him to buy a new helmet before he does! Amazingly, he said his helmet didn't crack, but if he hit his head hard enough for his helmet to bust open his skin underneath, it is not safe to wear. I hope he takes my advice. He is a bit eccentric!

nwg, I would stay off your single-track trails for awhile longer. You are just barely cleared to ride, and that is intense riding, much more than riding on pavement or gravel. Please take care of yourself and don't take that kind of risk with your still-healing body! It's not like you don't have other options for riding, after all. Would hate to see you re-injured in any way.

Also, I told our friend about your crash and losing consciousness, since I remembered that you had. He is concerned by it, but I think it's pretty normal. Even when I broke my jaw, I remember realizing I was going over the handlebars, and the next thing I remember is sitting up in the road bleeding and realizing that I'd injured myself rather badly. So I figure that I probably lost consciousness for a couple of seconds, just enough to protect me from the moment of impact. Nice of our brains to do that, right? In contrast, when I went down on my side breaking my pelvis, many years ago, I do remember the moment of impact -- perhaps because my head was not involved. However, it didn't "hurt" until minutes later, due to that initial rush of adrenaline your body puts out in that kind of situation.

I had planned on doing another short solo ride today, but I had an orthodontist appointment yesterday where he added two new elastics, so I am up to four total, full-time (except when eating). The new ones gave me a bad headache last night, and I couldn't get comfortable to sleep so got very little sleep last night. As a result, I wouldn't trust myself to ride right now. I am still achy. Gonna take some Tylenol and do a couple errands instead. Yesterday I worked out in the gym, and the day before, DH and I walked downtown and did parking garage stair-climbing! That's a good workout too! I should be much better tomorrow, hopefully, and will plan to ride then. I'm still hopping on the cruiser bike to cruise around the RV park (to the laundry room, office, dumpster, pool, gym, etc.), but longer rides have been few and far between since DH crashed. Fortunately, he's doing better every day and may even ride with me tomorrow!
    Last edited by emily_in_nc; 08-07-2018 at 05:08 AM.
    Emily

Love the bike, Crankin. That's my idea of a great do it ali utility bike, especially once you get it set up with racks and bags. I've used similar bikes in the past for such a bike. Once had a Trek 7700 that was very similar. That bike, at one time, was my only bike, but it never let me, down. Bet you'll be riding your Specialized a lot.

Emily, sorry to hear about the hassles with the orthodontics issue, but you are so right about not riding until you feel good. One challenge at a time, I always say. As for the blacking out on a crash, yeah, from what I've read it's pretty common. Probably the mind's way of coping to a traumatic injury or something. For darn sure, I wouldn't want to keep reliving my crash over and over in my mind.

I'm going to let what feels good be my guide as to what kind of riding and how much I do, for awhile. I'm more the type to set a goal and push my self, silly, to get there, but I did reach my goal as to my mountain biking expertise, prior to my accident, so I can now relax and just enjoy the rides, whatever form they may take. I'm especially enjoying the single speed workouts on the roads, now. Gets me the same level of workout in a shorter amount of time than riding my geared bikes.