Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

My Guru is ok on the gravel. Not great, but there were some packed sections, where I get a reprieve and it is flat. Also not going more than 10-11 mph. As long as there is no sand, I am ok. We did not know about the dirt parts!
    Will be ordering the rest of the parts for my Ariel on Wednesday, so they will be there Saturday, when we get home. My plan is to ride it to work the first Mon or Tues I am back and then hit the Battle Road Trail in Minuteman National Park on Wednesday. It’s packed dirt.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sheila, I bought the Ariel Sport because it met all of my requirements for around town and commuting, plus it had the extra factors of front shocks and disc brakes. It was on sale and one of the few xsmall bikes in this category available. They make them, but most brands sell out so quickly, they are gone in a flash.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

10 or 11 miles per hour is pretty normal on dirt and gravel, so you did good, there, Crankin. Packed dirt is actually better than gravel as long as it isn't too loose or rutted. My favorite kind of surface, unless it rains, of course.

95 degrees, Sheila? Wow! Glad you got out away from home to ride, though. It's good for the spirit, every now and then.

We have our last upper 80s day, today, then down into the 70s, tomorrow and the rest of the week. Got out early to beat the afternoon heat, then. After a couple of laps around the neighborhood with the hubby, struck out to do a bit more pavement riding for a humble 14.4 miles, total. It was on the single speed Gunnar, though, so all sprint and a very good workout. That's what I love about single speeding. I don't have to go as far to get the same workout. The single speeding has really improved my road technique. Have to maintain a much higher spin rate to maintain my speed, so lots more pedaling per mile. Better aerobic workout than with a standard geared bike, not to mention no shifting, needed. That's pretty cool, too.

Sheila, we're never officially out of shape, we're just on the road to be in better shape, right? I know the feeling, though. I really don't know if I'll ever get back to my pre-accident shape before the snow flies, this year. Ah, well, maybe next year. I'm still riding and that's what counts for now.

Added another two miles of trail work, this afternoon after it cooled down a bit. Rode the Krampus with its 29x3 tires. Definitely more comfy than 29x 2.25 tires, but way short of the comfy I get with one of the fat bikes. Makes over 15 miles for the day with the single speed work I did this morning. There was a time I never would have thought riding 15 miles plus in a day, every day, would be enough to make me proud, but it does, now. Might be the new normal for me, after my accident, but if so, that's fine. Probably time to cut back, any way.

Sheila, I did not buy the carbon! Since I have 2 carbon bikes, this one one needed to be cheaper. It’s aluminum, very light.
    So, today’s ride was an adventure, and what’s an adventure without some excitement? We left the inn at 9:30 and decided to go for the 50 mile ride, since it was cloudy and tomorrow is definitely rain. It stayed cloudy for the first 20 miles or so. Totally quiet farm roads. The feature of this ride was an out and back to a peninsula that is a provincial park. We were getting tired as we got near the end of the peninsula and planned to eat our snack there. About 1-2 miles from the end, the road became gravel, with some poor pavement under. I was riding in the middle, when it became washboard. I get this weird thing when I ride on cobbles or washboard, where I get tunnel vision. As I was making my way across to the right, I am not sure what happened, but I think I was going too fast and I may have slammed my brakes. Down I went. Result, road rash and blood on my left knee, with bruising. Thankfully, I had my Bacitracin and lots of tissues. After several squirts of my water and applying pressure, we rode on to the end. We ate a bar and I recovered. We headed back, and of course the sun came out more. Made another stop to eat a Shot Block and we soldiered on to a supposed fabulous cheese shop at mile 40. DH said he was losing it, and so was I. The cheese shop had no actual food, but they had ice cream, so that was our lunch. This was a fail on the part of the tour company. With 10 miles to go, we were toast and right when we left, there was a climb with about a 10% grade. After one more stop, we made it to the inn, where our car and luggage were awaiting. Total was 49.7 miles and I will say I rode 50!
    My road rash is already scabbing and healing, but it is stiff. I applied lots of Arnica and DH got me a huge bandage that’s like skin. We walked a bit to get a beer and app, hoping that helps. Dinner is not until 8.
    It is going to be crappy weather tomorrow, so more wineries and some shopping is in order. I am fine with riding 130 miles in 4 days. Wednesday, we head to Montreal.
    Last edited by Crankin; 08-13-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Wow, Crankin, so sorry about your fall! There seems to be a lot of that going around lately. My DH is just about healed up from his (due to cleat failure). He is down to regular-sized Band-aids (from large bandages) on the side of his left elbow and knee, and the scabbed areas get smaller every day. We did our usual route yesterday -- the full length -- for the first time since his crash exactly two weeks earlier. My 35 miles put me at 3001 miles for the year! Pretty happy about that. We had a building headwind on the way back, on top of the usual heat and humidity (temp 85), so the last third or so of the ride was not so pleasant, but we got 'er done.

What tour company did you go with? We did a Bike Vermont tour many years ago in the Connecticut River Valley, so some of it was actually in New Hampshire (Hanover area). I still have such fond memories, but whew, the hills were tough. I can't imagine riding 50 miles in that kind of terrain these days, so I give you huge props!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Crankin, you are tough, no doubt about it. 130 miles in 4 days and a fall in the mix, to boot. Glad your fall wasn't worse. Road rash is the pits, though.

Congrats, Emily, on a great year of riding and it's not over, yet. I hope to try some biking when we're on our Florida visit in September, but I suspect it will be limited, given the heat and my current level of conditioning. Don't know when I'll get back into your league or Crankin's, but I know for sure it will be awhile. Not likely this year. It sometimes depresses me to think about how much I have lost as far as my physical conditioning, though, in truth, I'm actually in good shape. I'm just not in my former peak shape for riding. That always makes me nervous and tense, though. On things like this, patience is not my strong suit.

Stopped in at the bike shop, yesterday, to see how the guys were coming on changing the new Pugs over to better all around tires and setting them up tubeless, to boot. I know I'm one of the only fatties fans around here, so I'll just tell everyone that with these monster tires, tire design and going tubeless is very important. (Fat bike inner tubes weigh a ton.) Hope to bring the new Pugs home in the next couple of days and do some more trail riding with it. This winter, the fat bikes will all be my plowed road, road bikes, too. Have decided not to tear myself up trying to keep my trails open this winter like I did last winter. My snow riding will either be on the roads or local groomed trails and, yes, in snow bike country, we have groomed snow bike trails, same as we have groomed cross country ski trails.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-14-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Emily, we are in Prince Edward County Ontario. Nothing like the terrain in Hanover, NH, where I have ridden. It’s flat to rolling in the truest sense, with very few real climbs. The wind and sun have been the biggest negatives. We used a Canadien tour company, that arranges semi supported trips. It’s called Randonne. The owner’s sister lives in this area.
    The Nexcare bandage is a miracle! The cuts are healing so quickly, it’s mostly the bruising that hurts, but Arnica gel is helping that.i have a small bruise on the inside of my right knee, too, from the top tube and a teeny one on my elbow.
    It rained last night and today is soupy and a real feel of 95. It was sunny this morning, but we are done. Both of us are tired. Shopped, had coffee, lunch, wine tasting. Now going to walk around the town of Picton and then we have dinner at our inn. We decided to drive out to an area where we can take a ferry to the road to Montreal, so we will see all of the county. It’s longer, but worth it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

My best day, yesterday, since my accident. No, not in total miles, though they were good. Did 14.4 miles of pavement in the morning on the Gunnar single speed, then followed it up, right away, with 3 miles of laps on our trails with a fat bike. Then did another 2 miles trails with a fat bike in the afternoon.

The real plus for me, though, was that for the first time since my accident, I felt a little bit like my old self as far as strength. Real confidence booster for me because I was beginning to wonder If I would ever get back to the old me as far as conditioning. Seems like it's taken forever, but I now have real confidence I can make a full recovery. Was actually able to ride the trails, aggressively, the way they need to be ridden to do them right. Also very pleased to report that I had ZERO interest in riding over boulders or hopping logs, as per my resolution to ride safer after my accident. In fact, I still cringe a bit when I bypass some of those obstacles. Also nice to know that I can still enjoy the trail riding and that it can still be challenging without taking unnecessary risks on the stunt stuff.

Picked up the Pugs 2 from the shop, now with its new fast rolling tires, set up tubeless. Turns this second edition Pugs into an even better dual purpose rough road and trail bike. Those big easy rolling 4.4" tires smooth out the roughest trails. Love them. Definitely a 12 months of the year bike, now. Have the same tires on another fat bike and they really do a great job in the snow, too.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-16-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Sheila, I've ridden a Muk and loved it. Very modern fat bike. Salsa has done a good job of continuously upgrading it to stay with current technology. For all my trail bikes, now, 1x is the only way to go.

Glad your strength is returning, NWG.
    I am glad weather, driving, and being in Montreal is keeping me from riding, so my crash stuff heals, although I am ready to ride. Not that I’ve been sitting on my butt.
    We got here around 2 yesterday, and after some assistance from the hotel, parked our car; the whole street is closed in front of the hotel. We stored our bikes in a closet in the lobby and drank our welcome champagne. This place is lovely. We are staying in Old Town, so it is filled with tourists. Did some shopping and walked for a few miles and then had wine at the hotel bar until our 9 pm dinner at an outstanding gourmet pizza place.
    This morning we caught an Uber to Mount Royal Park and hiked just under 4 miles. Glad we went at 9:30, it was mobbed when we finished. What a treasure in the middle of the city. We stayed on the wooded trails as much as possible, but when we were on the packed dirt roads, there were tons of cyclists. Sadly, most had their helmets hanging from their bars.
    After getting back, we cleaned up and had lunch and walked more. We were both tired, so spent the past 2 hrs relaxing and reading before dinner. Tomorrow, we drive to Brattleboro, VT for one night. It’s going to be crappy weather, rain, so no more outdoor stuff. Our good friends in Amherst are coming to meet us for dinner, as it’s only about a half hr away. I expect we will be home by noon on Saturday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It sounds like you are having a wonderful trip, Crankin, though I can't imagine eating dinner at 9pm. LOL! I am in my jammies and parked in front of the TV with my book by then. Not very cosmopolitan, this gal.

nwg, such a good feeling to be "back", isn't it? I am so happy for you. I am also relieved that you are not tempted by the boulders, logs, and other obstacles on the trails. Riding = good, crashing = bad. Right!?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, I can eat at 9 on vacation, as breakfast and lunch are later, punctuated by periods of outdoor activity and rest. Even on the days I am getting home at 6:15, I may not eat until 7, but I am still in bed by 9-10. I get up early!
    There’s going to be bad storms here, shortly. We did have some rain on the way, down. We stopped in Montpelier for lunch, and went to a pizza place we’d been to before. However, the other times, it’s been like 10 degrees out!
    Looking forward to dinner. Brattleboro is full of old hippies and unusual shops; spent some time in a gallery and an antique shop. I’ve already got 3 work related phone calls/texts about next wk. Back to reality.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Thanks, folks. Emily, not to worry, I've removed most of my dangerous stuff from the trails and/or blocked off the segments that contained them. That helps to remove the temptations to do stupid stuff. I've also taken a closer look at the trails and have been busy removing the smaller rocks and roots that I previously ignored. Overall, just trying to make the trails safer as far as any objects that might cause a crash. The trails still twist and tun and have the same steep ups and downs, so they're still demanding and fairly technical, but hopefully a bit safer.

We're having a good friend of mine for a visit. She's my age, but hasn't been riding in over a year. She was intrigued by the fat bikes, though, so we let her ride the old Pugsley on our morning neighborhood road ride. ound the big wheels hard to pedal, since she is out of shape.

NWG, that's exactly why I am not getting a fat bike. There's only one made for someone as small as I am, and it costs a ton; all of the reading I've done spoke about how short/petite people are at a disadvantage with fat bikes because of the wheel size, which is the thing that makes them great for riding in the snow. While I am not out of shape, I found the type of strength I needed when I was mountain biking was harder for me to develop than for road biking. I've come to the conclusion I am just more of an endurance person, although I keep working on the strength at the gym.
    Got home yesterday around noon. We had a great dinner with my friends on Friday night and an excellent breakfast at a place that specializes in quinoa based food, but Brattleboro was just a bit too full of weird people around my age! I've been to many other places in Vermont, and this was different. We did stop at a great farmers' market on the way out, but figured we didn't need to buy anything. We did, however, stop at a chocolate place that opened about a year ago, that we pass every time we go see our friends. Bought a few pieces of white and dark chocolate and DH bought chocolate covered pretzels, which I don't like. It didn't take us too long to get the laundry done, since it was mostly our bike/hiking clothes and get to the farm and grocery store for food. It was nice to eat at home.
    Did a 15 mile ride around 11:30. My legs feel much stronger after riding in all of that wind and riding with a larger trunk bag, on a slightly heavier bike. Of course, it is predicted to rain on Wednesday, when I can ride. Tomorrow I go back to the gym. My instructor had her baby, so the class won't be as hard for the next couple of weeks!
    The knee is healing well.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura