Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

It's August! Riding through the heat.

I rode 21 miles this morning, as we have storms approaching. Hoping I get out and do my errands before they start!
    I did a route I did about a month ago, where I ride over to the other side of town, into Carlisle and a teeny corner of Westford on the road, and then catch the bike trail back as far as I can take it in Acton, to get back over the highway, closer to my house. It was not too hot, but the humidity is building.
    I felt good and my back has been much better since I started doing a new stretch/move, I saw online. However, there's one gradual hill as I am on the road to where I catch the trail, and my ribs started aching. The actual spot where I have the bruise is much better, NWG, do you use Arnica gel? It really speeds up healing bruises. But, I got through that, for the nice downhill and onto the trail, which was quiet. My LBS now has their back door/ramp set up, adjacent to the trail, which is nice.
    Once I get off the road, I have a small climb and then I have to wait at a light to get across the highway. Some jerk, turning left, turned in front of me; he was the second car turning, but the first had plenty of time. However, I saw it and slowed. He had his windows open, so I used the occasion to swear loudly at him. After this, I have 2 hills, one about 8%, so I slowed down, for the rest of the way.
    I may ride to work tomorrow, much earlier than I need to, so I won't sweat to death. I am done at 3:45, so then I can take a longer and shadier way home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

August, already? Oh, my. Seems like my summer is just beginning since I'm just several days back into riding after my accident. Not complaining, though. Just glad to be back in the saddle, again.

Crankin, your weather sounds like ours. Been muggy by day, followed by thunderstorms. We have another big band of storms coming our way, so for my afternoon ride, I may actually hit the trainer. Not crazy about it, but that's what it's for.

No, never tried any creme or gels to speed up the healing from the bruising, but will keep that in mind if I ever get bruised, again. Thanks.

I actually remembered to say "rabbit rabbit" this morning before uttering any other words. I hope it brings me luck for this month!

DH is doing much better. He's fine with walking now, just a little slower than usual. Today we walked up to CVS, where we needed to buy a few things, and changed his bandages afterwards. One of his wounds (hip) has graduated to no bandage, and the others are all getting better daily. I would not be surprised if he's not ready to do a shorter than our usual ride next week. That would be awesome!

Since I had to do laundry today, I rode loops around the RV park on my cruiser bike while my clothes were washing in the park laundry room. And I also worked out in the gym. So I got a few miles in as well as light weights and some yoga + core work.

I noticed on bikerides.com, where I track my miles, that I only need 8.04 miles to achieve 2900 for the year so far, so I am thinking I might head out for an hour tomorrow. If I go out just 30 minutes one way, then turn around, the chances of anything happening are slim, and I'm still close enough to hoof it, if I had to. Will consider this. I am definitely missing the riding but want to stay close to home base until DH is able to join me again.

It's funny, I've been urging him for ages to throw out his ancient SIDI road shoes, and now that the cleat broke, he finally did it. As he said, end of an era. He has been riding in those shoes since he bought his Trek road bike in 2002! The heels were totally worn down, and he'd replaced the heel plates as well as other parts (buckles) more than once. They were good shoes, but still... 16 years is enough. Fortunately, he had good Crank Brothers pedals from the MTB he traded in, so he's now put them on his Trek and will ride in his Keen sandals for awhile. They are nearly brand-new. I love mine, especially for summer, so we'll be the dork twins: Trek road bikes and Keens!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I cannot believe your DH had shoes that long, Emily. Even with repair, I am very hard on shoes, so 4-6 years is my limit. I am pretty sure no one around you will think anything of your shoe/pedal/bike combo!
    Today is brutally humid and hot, so I left for work at 7:45, even though my first appointment was at 9. I took some shady roads off of Main St., just a little variation, since I do not ride there the way I drive. This brought my grand total commute this morning to 3.1 miles. I was sweaty, though and had to use all of my hygiene products. I rode in an Athleta sundress, which is wicking, with my commuter bike shorts under. They are long, so you could see them. I hate to ride looking like there's nothing under my dress!
    The way home was not so nice. It has become partly cloudy, and it's breezy, but it feels like a humid day in Arizona, in July. My intention was to ride home the longer way, and I did start out on that route, but it was so uncomfortable, I was already past the point where I could easily get back to Main St. So, I turned on the next street, which is the way I ride there. It's pretty, but to make a left on the main road to get home from there is horrible. It's an incline with little line of sight, because there's an extended walk/block wall on the left side of the street. There is a crosswalk there, but on the right, and the only time cars seem to stop is when I have my granddaughter in the stroller. But, there's a dirt road right before the bad intersection that I can take for 1/4 a mile, that goes to the neighborhood next to mine. It gets wet with rain, and it's rutted, but it's cool and pretty. Not so great with 25 mm tires. I started cautiously and then I saw 2 Comcast trucks heading down there. I stopped, and finally, they backed out. By this time I was freaked out, there were patches of sand, so I kind of hoofed with one foot until the pavement. Then, I have to take another trail, very short, to my street. The beginning is rooty and not graded well, but most of it is maintained by our association.
    I need a different bike to ride on these. DH is fine with it, but I am not. Still glad I rode, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

LOL...yeah, Crankin, my DH is kinda crazy that way. He's very frugal. His road bike, a Trek 5200 (US Postal Service model) is also from 2002. He just keeps replacing components and doesn't feel a strong urge to spend thousands of dollars to replace it just yet. So the Sidis just kinda followed in that vein!

You are right, though. Even though there are some die-hard full-kit roadies even on the trail here, they are few and far between. We see some really interesting getups, especially people way overdressing in this heat and humidity. There is one lady we call the "caped crusader" who rides all over town on a cruiser bike. She always wears a white cape (lightweight fabric) and a white, wide-brimmed hat. She's about my age, I'd guess. Won't even look at you or speak as you ride or walk by the other way. Just one of the many cycling characters we encounter day-to-day around these parts!

I ended up not riding yesterday as I'd thought I might, because I woke up at 4:30 am and never could get back to sleep. As a result, I was really dragging. So, I ended up doing chores and errands instead and rode this morning, after a much better night of sleep. I got in 15 miles, as I didn't want to go too far from home with DH not able to come bail me out in a pinch. On the way back, I stopped at the vet to pick up refills for our dog's meds. So it was productive and also got me above 2900 miles on the year. It felt good to ride again, though it's kinda weird riding solo. Glad I don't have to do that too often, as I much prefer to ride with DH. Hopefully he'll be back in the saddle next week.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Those cycling characters are unique and make it interesting! We have the "half naked crazy guy, playing an instrument," who rides up and down Main St. Sometimes he rides on the sidewalk, but not always. He is incredible. Rides no hands playing a guitar, holding a boombox, playing a trombone, holding a beachball. There was an article about him in the local paper. He lives in the next town, is open about his mental health challenges, and says riding helps him deal with getting divorced. He was out near the end of our club rally, and as sweep, he certainly helped the stragglers I was behind, giving them a good laugh, 5 miles from the end of the ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura