Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: July rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

40 miles with 2700 ft of climbing is impressive. Congrats. Well done.

I've been cheating a bit with the neck brace, taking it off for short periods while on my walks. Can't tell any difference as far as comfort with or without, now, after over a month of wearing it. Just being able to feel a breeze on my neck, though, is glorious. I'm also tempted, of course, to jump on one of the bikes and go for a short ride, but to do that I would have to get by a very irate husband. I'll be a good girl and follow orders ... for now.

NWG, do not get on your bike! Please .
    It was cloudy and extremely humid when we woke up in Great Barrington today. Some sprinkles and rain predicted for later. The 4 of us decided to call it a successful trip without riding today. We lounged after breakfast, packed up, and hit the road before the crowds got on the Turnpike. We were home by 11:40. It was sunny at home, but super humid and warm. Looking like rain now. I was happy to stay in the AC. Around 2:30, went out to celebrate National Ice Cream Day, with a scoop of mocha chip, and then went to the store for this week's food.
    Summer is half over, but my favorite riding time is September. Rode almost 90 miles in 3 days.
    Onward.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Send more pics if you can. Wow!
    ok......and Luv for my France in winning the world cup!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rebeccaC; 07-15-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Seriously, rebecca, I don't think I've seen better pics than yours from any professional. Those are top tier.

No, I'm not going to get on the bike, Crankin. If I did it, I'd risk a divorce. I am ready, though. My final appointment to hopefully get cleared for riding is July 26, so figure I can wait just a bit, longer, after all this time. I am working on the bikes, though, getting them tuned up and ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Seriously, rebecca, I don't think I've seen better pics than yours from any professional. Those are top tier.
    I couldn't agree more!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

thanks but thinking that's kind of an overstatement ......you know if you click on one of my photos you'll go to the flickr page i use for just all the photos i've posted here and for larger images with more detail.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I did a little 13 mile ride today, usually one I do at 5 AM. I still kind of feel like vegging out from my 3 days of hard riding, then the gym on Monday. I chose the route, because there's some hills, and I definitely feel stronger in the legs after all that climbing.
    We had torrential rain yesterday, but my area didn't get any flooding and I didn't notice any debris on the road. One reason I didn't stay out longer is that while it is much, much cooler, the humidity is still going down and I was was really feeling that. No wonder I stayed inside the whole time I lived in Florida. Yesterday, I walked across the street from my office to get lunch, and it truly felt like a bad day in July in Miami.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We've actually had some great weather for July, this week, with highs right around 80 and low humidity. Great for walking and being outdoors.

Stopped in the bike shop and announced that I'll soon be riding. Bought another helmet to replace the one that got totaled, but saved my life. Got the same brand and series, except this time, got the M.I.P.S. version for even better protection. Also got another helmet mounted blinkie, since my husband now uses my old one. Really excited that my husband is now doing twice a day rides around the neighborhood with no prodding from me.

While at the bike shop met the previous owner and the guy who built my Gunnar single speed. He said he went a little nuts on the build with the Gunnar, hand built wheels and all, but moved on to other bikes for his riding. We also compared bike injuries and as bad as mine are, his have been more numerous, but, then, he has been racing for many years. He still does the risky stuff, even after all his injuries. I am hoping that I will have enough smarts and self-control to stick with my plan of doing my best to reduce risks and stay away from the challenge stuff. No regret about learning all those advanced skills and nice to be able to talk the the talk with other trail riders, but time to retire. Can't eliminate all risks with any type of bicycling, of course, but I'm going to do my best to better the odds of being able to keep riding into my old age. 9 days to go and hopefully get cleared to ride. I am so ready.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 07-18-2018 at 05:09 PM.

I am somewhat risk averse, NWG, although I sure do a lot more than 10 years ago. Your plan sounds very sane to me, and you will still be riding. Ultimately, risk was the reason I quit mountain biking.
    It was 53 degrees at 5:20 AM, when I went out for a little ride. Just a little ride over to the other side of town, but I did not do the longer loop, as I have to be at work at 9, so only 10 miles. I was wearing arm and knee warmers, a vest, and my lightest weight long fingered gloves. My head was actually cold in the beginning, which is a slight downhill, but it was fine in the end.
    I love this kind of weather. The humidity is gone and it should be this way until Sunday, when rain and more heat/humidity will arrive for next week. Bah.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I rode to the gym this morning. It was a little warmer than yesterday, about 58. No long fingered gloves, just my bolero and vest over my shirt. So beautiful. Class was really hard today!
    M husband's company outing is today, starting at noon. It's at a famous ice cream place that has kind of turned into an amusement place, with mini-golf, bumper boats, batting cages, and real food. It's sad, to me. I sound like my grandparents, but I remember when it was just a crowded ice cream place that I took my kids to when we first moved to MA. It's been within 10 miles of all 3 towns I've lived in, but it's just way too commercial for me. We thought about riding there, but I don't want to be sweaty, etc around these people. I guess I have to be nice, though... DH got a promotion a few months ago, so his pre-retirement job has now forced me into the "bosses wife" role again.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I think that's part of every marriage. I support my husband when it comes to the groups he's joined and their activities, though I sometimes still feel like an outsider around those people. It's important for him, though, so I do my best.

All day rain, today, so no walking. That's okay, because the bugs have been miserable on my walks, of late. Have to about take a bath in DEET to survive. I really, really hate that stuff, but no choice. Getting eaten alive is worse.

Will hit the trainer for a morning and afternoon session, probably.

After a demoralizing ride on Tuesday with seemingly every body part hurting (including even my teeth since I'd had an aggressive orthodontic adjustment on Monday), I figured out what was wrong -- I was coming down with a virus. Actually, I am glad that was the case, because my mental state was bad enough on the ride I was ready to hang up my bike for good, or at least for the summer. The heat and humidity were just beating me down more than usual, in addition to all the aches and pains and a screaming lower back for the latter part of the ride. But, turns out I was in the process of getting sick. It's really just a cold, but it did start with some nausea, body aches, and malaise before the other symptoms arrived. Once I realized what was going on, I started zinc lozenges, which really do seem to shorten colds for me. I'm already to the feeling fine but still coughing stage just a few days later. To recover I have stayed off my road bike since, just a few short loops on the cruiser bike around the campground for utilitarian reasons, like picking up a package at the office. Will continue to rest up this weekend and hit the road again on Monday. Really glad I resisted the impulse to go today, as DH got caught in a heavy, early-day t-storm and had to take shelter downtown for an hour or so while it poured and thundered before finishing his ride in light rain. So he's been cleaning his bike and has to lube the chain. Really glad I didn't go!
    Emily

Oh, Emily, so sorry to hear about all this. Just rest up and let it run its course. I've made the mistake of riding when I've been sick and it only makes it worse. Been times, like you, had no choice for the sake of running errands and I know how miserable it can be. Don't let it get you down to the point you stop riding, altogether. That would be heartbreaking. Hang in there, girl. Be thinking of you.

Glad you are feeling better, Emily. I get this warning of illness in the same way! Like, I was ready to throw my bike down 2 Sundays ago, even though I had been sick Friday and my body was just telling me I wasn't really better. I think I willed it out of me so I was fine for the hard riding in the Berkshires, because I had a slight replay of it all when I rode Wednesday and Thursday. Slight, though. The gym was fine today and I will do a hard ride tomorrow.
    You are smart to listen to your body. I did not do this in my 30s and 40s/early 50s and I think it set me up for a lot of stuff that was my own fault. I have a terrible fear of having to slow down (overall, not just my speed), but I am not in the mind set to do this in the foreseeable future. I think my upcoming birthday in the fall (65) is scaring me more than I like!
    We went to the outing, ate our lunch, had half a beer, and left. DH had no desire to do any of the activities, either. Instead, we got our grocery shopping done and went to the local farm, so we can do a long ride tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Thanks for the support, gals! I am feeling so much better. I am just very glad that I actually did get sick, because my mental attitude was really worrying me on Tuesday's ride. No worries, I would never give up cycling! But riding in Florida's heat and humidity does take a certain mental stubbornness (or insanity!) that can be hard to muster when the body is not well. I'm sure I will cope better on my Monday ride and do look forward to it. It was probably good to get an enforced break, since riding year-round in the same area can get stale without the occasional break.
    Emily