Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: 2018 Hiking

Threaded View

2018 Hiking

Now that summer has finally come - and with a vengeance in Central Indiana - I'm looking forward to hear about any hiking that's happening when you aren't riding!

On Memorial Day I and a couple friends hit Prophetstown State Park NW of Indianapolis. None of us realized that the trails were at least 50% over open fields rather than the 99.99% woods we are accustomed to. Still, we SHOULD have had hats...salt tablets... we really did know better. I knew better, and it wasn't a disaster. Considering that May was the hottest month in recorded history, temps hit 90+ pretty early and the humidity was high - it could have been much worse. We did enjoy the different scenery and terrain. Fairly flat but with interesting scenery and about 3.2 miles hiked. My body was fine with the distance, not so fine with not having neither hat nor salt tablets.

I DO have a wide brim hat now, and tomorrow I am pondering hitting Mounds State Park. It has a 3+ mile trail and several archaeological sites. It will also be comparatively cooler tomorrow. I am being cautious about increasing distance, between my quite arthritic feet and other "bits", and just trying to get SOME kind of conditioning to return after the 2 surgeries last year, it's baby steps. I AM enjoying being back outside though!
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-01-2018 at 06:01 PM.