Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone- I've been MIA for quite a while- just had other stuff going on.

I was commuting at least 4 days a week for most of the spring. May 8, a kid on a scooter stepped off the curb, turned in front of me (perpendicular to my direction of travel) and I looked up with the realization that I was going to hit him. He was fine.... I'm 30 days out from the accident and finally feeling almost back to normal. The right side of my rear end hit the ground really hard and jarred my lower spine as well as doing some soft tissue damage. Things have calmed and I'm going to PT now, which is helping work on my core, stretching hamstrings and strengthen my back and gluteal muscles. I was actually worried it was worse than it was because it got worse before it got better, but I'm now back to riding on the mostly flat bike paths. Not back to climbing yet though.

Anyway- I'll try to check in again regularly. I've missed you guys.

Sharon
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Sharon -- so sorry this happened to you! Sounds painful. Kind of reminds me of my endo over the tot on a bike last year (broken jaw to show for it). It's maddening when someone pulls out in front of you and there's no way to avoid them. And in both cases, sounds like we bore the brunt of it.

NWG, nice new ride! Glad you've already gotten to enjoy the new Log Lady. I would want the bike model on the frame as well!

Crankin, hope you're feeling better.

We made it to NC and have not ridden since Monday. I will be busy with my folks today and tomorrow but do plan to ride on Sunday, when the roads around their place are quieter. It's not a great place to ride, hilly with no shoulders on the roads, but at least the traffic should be light on a Sunday. If I can just get a couple of rides in while we're here, it's better than nothing!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Nice to see you back, Sharon, and glad you're recovering. I've had my share of close calls and falls, but nothing in the same class as you and Emily have experienced. My accidents have all been road or trail induced, not collisions. I can appreciate, though, how it just takes a fraction of a second and how these collisions sometimes just can't be avoided. Hope you get a good summer of riding in.

Good to know you're safe and sound in N.C., Emily. Yup, any ride is better than not riding. Roads with no shoulders, though, not good. One thing about our area is that all roads have wide shoulders - not many paved, most are dirt - but always an option to head to the shoulder if need be. In fact, with the wide tire bikes, I often just ride the sand and gravel shoulders for fun when I get tired of riding pavement. (We have to have wide shoulders on our roads because of our heavy snowfall. No place to pile up the snow, otherwise.)

Got lucky and sold off two of the aluminum bikes at a reasonable price. Now have only steel bikes, with the exception of two of the fat bikes which are aluminum. I'm fine with aluminum on snow bikes or any bike that will be ridden a lot in the rain or mud. Probably more practical than steel, though I've ridden steel a lot in wet conditions, too

Congrats on selling the bikes, NWG.
    Despite my little ride yesterday, I woke up saying, "I am not going to the gym," (never happens) and after getting up and having coffee and breakfast, I had about 2 hours of well, let's call it extreme GI distress . So, I knew I wouldn't be doing a 30 mile hilly ride. In fact, I thought I might have to cancel my trip to my friends in Amherst. After 2 doses of Pepto, Zantac, Claritin, and Tylenol, I started feeling better. I drank a bottle with Nuun (see, not just for riding). It is so gorgeous out, at around 10:30, I put on some hiking clothes and walked to the nearest trail and did an out and back, which ends up being about 4 miles. Very calming and I feel like I worked. It was just about lunch time after I showered, so I ate a small lunch, as I am hungry! I still feel off a bit, but I'll be fine for the "warm up" ride we are helping our friends with tomorrow, which is 24 miles and flat. We are coming home right after the ride, so we can ride around here on Sunday.
    Now I just hope my stomach is settled enough for the happy hour my friend is preparing and the Indian food we are having tonight!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Been so long since we've had Indian food. We're a long way from any Indian restaurant. Really miss it.

Well, of course, after selling two aluminum bikes, what's a gal to do? The place I sold the two aluminum bikes had a great sale on a very traditional steel touring bike in the Salsa Marrakesh and since they offer it in a flat bar Marrakesh version ... and since I don't have any skinny tire bikes (if you can call 700x40s, skinny) ... figured it would be a good investment. A steel touring bike is such a classic for us steel fans. This one even includes the Brooks saddle and rear rack. How's that for traditional? I went with the more conservative green color, not the blue. Other than changing the tires for something more gravel worthy, going to leave it stock and enjoy.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 06-08-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Had a wonderful ride in the Pioneer Valley of western MA today, despite still feeling under the weather. In fact, it was perfect, since it was totally flat (381 ft). There is no way I could do a 24 mile flat ride around where I live. Now, there is plenty of difficult climbing where we were today, but you have a choice.
    We got out there at around 5 yesterday, had a little happy hour with our friends at their house, and then went for Nepalese Indian food. Very good, indeed. We got to the ride start around 9:30 this morning, although the participants didn't have to be there until 10. Also, they were training a new leader, so we talked with her. Of course, there's always one outlier in any group, who comes late, is unprepared, bike not ready or even in good working order.
    It was 70-82 during the ride, slightly overcast, but beautiful. We stopped at the "big tree" in Sunderland, which is a Dutch maple, dating from the 1600s. Another cyclist stopped and took a group pic for us, which I will try and post when I get it. Then we had a rest stop at the general store there, where there were tons of cyclists. People are generally friendlier than in the Boston area, out there, so we talked to a lot of them.
    The ride was at a slower pace, and I stayed up front, as there were a couple of squirrelly riders, and this ride began and ended on a bike path, which is another set of worries for me! The end was kind of cool, and changed from when we did the ride last year. We rode through the U Mass Amherst campus and onto a bike path on campus, that used to be a sidewalk, but is now a bike path. Then, this connected back to the path where our cars were parked at. The university has grown, even since my son graduated in 2005.
    Beautiful rural and semi-suburban roads, farms, and rivers today, and no nasty drivers. We ate lunch outside, at a farm market next to the bike path, headed back to our friends' and cleaned up. They headed out to the Berkshires for 2 nights and we headed to the local winery, bought some wine, then bought fresh strawberries at a farm, and finally had ice cream, before we headed home.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Thanks, Sheila. Not sure All-City even makes decals for their bikes. Be a cool touch, though.

Crankin, that sounds like a lovely ride. Glad to hear that you got a good one in, despite feeling under the weather. That's a home run in my book.

Had a very cool and gloomy day, yesterday. Seemed so dark back in the woods with the Log Lady that I was almost tempted to use a light. We sometimes get days like that, up here. Not my favorite. Depressing, really. Today was still cloudy with a peek of sunshine or two, but brighter. Did almost 25 miles of pavement and gravel with my other single speed, my Ruffian. I'm making allowances for my newfound love of single speed riding, knowing that enthusiasm tends to get carried away when you newly convert to anything, but this kind of biking really, really agrees with me. Wish I had discovered it, sooner. Love the simplicity of it and the way it takes me a better and smarter rider, not to mention a stronger rider. Don't need no stinking' shifters or derailleurs.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 06-09-2018 at 04:09 PM.

beautiful bike nwg....wishing you lots of enjoyable trail rides!!!!!.....glad to read you're getting better Sharon!!

.....too much going on for me and it's down to pilates/yoga and commutes for a few weeks.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Woah! Love the decals on that Surly!

I could have sworn I saw a Log Lady decal in a photo somewhere. I was a little disappointed when it arrived without such. However, I have found a fun alternative. It turns out there is a vast amount of Log Lady kitsch on Etsy. I picked up a Log Lady patch from a shop called blacklodgepress and sewed it to my seat bag.

I agree with you, NWG, it’s a lovely frame and I’ve really enjoyed it since my last post here. I think I’ve put in about 200 miles and it’s very hilly here. The hills have kept me away from ss before but I’m glad I switched things up. I’ve been really surprised by how well it climbs. I will say that I do stand to climb and have lost traction on the back several times on wet or sandy hills. I am running with the rocket rons, which I otherwise really love thus far. They are super quick.

The frame is really well made and has a unique ride quality, in my experience. I think the Log Lady really slid under the radar or perhaps All City may have missed the mark in marketing it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I’m enjoying mine!

Thanks for the link, Sheila. Might try getting some decals. That's one fine looking Surly, too. Love it.

Hope things ease up a bit for you, rebecca, so you get some ride time. Of course, we'd all like some of those great pics, too.

RT, oh yes, I love my LL. Had to change out to a 22 tooth cog in the back to manage my trail climbs without blowing a knee (not to mention I just turned 68). After all, All-City advertises the LL as a single speed race bike. Not sure I'll ever get into the category. With the 22 tooth cog, I still have to stand for my steep climbs, but it's doable and I am getting stronger. The good news is that with a 22 cog I can stay in the saddle for a lot of my easier sections. Gives me the option of loafing a bit on the easy stuff.

You're right about the frame. It's not as good as my Gunnar single speed, but that's a custom frame, after all. Still, I'd rate the LL frame as outstanding. It's a steal for that price. Love that front fork, too. Nice and stable on the downhills and the rough stuff. For tires, I went with the much more aggressive Continental Trail Kings on mine, but am thinking of trying something else. The Trail Kings are on the slow side, but they do have a great bite. Have had no slippage on my climbs while standing with these tires. They also manage the sandy spots with minimal fishtailing.

Now that I have one, I feel very lucky in having grabbed the last Log Lady available. In fact, while checking availability, just this week, with a lot of bike brands and models, I was amazed at how many models have sold out for the year. Wow! Lesson learned. For anyone thinking of ordering a new bike, do it as early in the year as possible. Summer is not a good time to buy a new bike. The popular models are usually sold out for the year.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 06-10-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Sounds like you're having fun, NWG.
    I knew I needed to not ride today, despite the beautiful weather. So, in keeping with our decision to enjoy the places we don't get to enough, we took the train into Boston and walked the entire Rose Kennedy Greenway, plus a lot more. The Greenway had an exhibit of old neon signs rescued from restaurants and businesses that have closed. One was a restaurant I went to as a kid. Tons of people out at the beer gardens, some Pride activities, a Portuguese festival, etc. After our walk, we walked to the North end, found a restaurant on a side street we hadn't been to and was not full of tourists, and sat by the open windows by the street and had some appetizers. We are going away Thursday for a quick weekend trip to Chicago, so instead of our usual grocery shopping, just stopped by to get something for tonight.
    I always feel guilty when I don't ride on a nice day, but it's not like I am inactive. DH thinks I am a little over the top; he's probably right, as I've had long periods of obsessive exercise, but since I don't weigh 92 pounds anymore, well, I feel guilty. The weather until we leave looks good, so I will get at least 2 rides in. Looking forward to the trip and we plan to walk everywhere.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Sounds like fun, Crankin. I do miss some of those activities the big cities offer. I did ride into town, yesterday and there was a motorcycle rally and meet going, complete with stands selling hamburgers. That's more our speed, up here.

Did 12 miles of laps on my trails, today, first half with my old Pugsley and the last half with the Log Lady. Pretty pooped out when I was done, but the two bikes were an interesting contrast, of course. The old Pugs is no racehorse, but you just can't beat those wide tires for smoothing out the trail and rolling over anything in their path. No need to do any fancy darting or dodging. Just plow right on through. As for the Log Lady, after riding the Pugs, it was like going from a pickup truck to a Porche.

nwg, there are a lot of online shops that sell custom decals. For awhile, a lot of folks in our bike club in NC were getting decals with their names on them, so I did the same when I built a lovely Aegis Swift with bronzy-gold decals. I matched the color as close as I could on an online shop and added my name to the frame. Can't remember the online shop, as this was back in 2004, but they did a great job with the decal!

Crankin, your ride (including campus and bike path) sounded really fun. Just the kind of ride I would like. I like variety during a ride rather than just a long road ahead, where the environment is the same the entire way. Keeps my senses clicking.

We finally got a ride in yesterday (first in nearly a week after traveling and have been visiting my mother and step-dad). This was in my mother's and adjacent neighborhoods. She lives in the foothills of the Appalachians, so it's quite hilly, though there is one road connecting a couple of the neighborhoods that is flat, a welcome break. No shoulders, but at least the speed limit is only 25-35 mph, and it doesn't get much traffic. The neighborhoods are hillier but get little traffic on Sunday mornings. It was hot, humid, and sunny, so I only put in 18 miles, about half my Florida normal. With the hills and riding my Bike Friday, which is slower than my Trek, I still got a great workout. Glad to get out there, even though conditions are never ideal in this area for riding.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Good for you, Emily. As they say, where there's a will, there's a way. Can't always find a place that is bike, friendly.

When I lived in the Chicago area, my suburb was NOT bike friendly, other than a couple of short paved bike trails in a couple local parks and, of course, those had to be shared with people walking. No bike lanes in town, not a one, or even bike routes for dealing with traffic. Bicyclists were totally on their own for dealing with traffic. While it was technically illegal to ride on sidewalks, the cops actually encouraged me to do just that on some sections of roads for my own safety. These were road stretches where several bicyclists had been killed. Did get to do some mountain biking in the nearby Forest Preserve on gravel trails, but those same cops and some locals also warned me to be ever vigilant. Those were known hangouts for drug dealers (and, yes, I saw these people). Worse yet, more than one gal hiking or jogging on the trails while I was there disappeared without a trace. Pretty darn spooky. Still,those were some great bicycle years for me. Will never forget them.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 06-11-2018 at 09:25 AM.

We've had beautiful weather, but today is cloudy, humid, and breezy, although not too hot. It's supposed to rain a bit this afternoon.
    I rode to the gym Monday and did my class, which apparently set my recovery back, as I was really not feeling well for the whole day at work. Kind of sucked, since I had 8 clients until 7pm, as I am going away tomorrow. But, a night of sleep helped and yesterday I finally felt much better. Still not 100%, though, so I went out for a little ride of 13 miles this morning. At mile 5 I thought I was sweating a lot, but it was actually raindrops I was seeing. Along with that, there were a few nasty wind gusts. I started thinking that every time I am on the road I was on, going in this direction, it has been either sprinkling or foggy and I've had to shorten my ride. So, at that point I made my decision and was fine with it. The sprinkles were intermittent, but the head/crosswind was not, so I was surprised that my average was as good as it was, and not at "touring" pace. Not high, but about average for me when I am not really pushing it. In addition to the wind, there's one short, but steeper hill right before the final 3 miles home, which is flat.
    Glad I went, but vacation for 3 days will give me enforced rest from the bike, although we may rent bikes and ride along the Chicago River. Hope to ride a lot next week on Wed, Thurs, and Fri, as we will have our granddaughter for the full weekend next weekend. I wish we had a bike trailer, but DH doesn't want to invest in one, and would rather wait until she can ride a tagalong or on her own bike. I will be able to do a shorter ride on my own, one of the days, but we most likely will hike with her in the carrier one of the days.
    We get home at midnight Saturday, so I also hope to ride early Sunday, before Father's Day festivities. It's supposed to be 90.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura