Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

To disable ads, please log-in.

We don't have any longer trails, either, NWG. The one by me has taken so long to start being built, because each town has its own set of rules, etc, that the guy who it is named after died (he was the one who started the push for it). But still, even now, it's only about 12 miles one way. In the end, it should be about 20. Even the Minuteman, which is well known is only 11 miles. It's just busy as hell.
    I am being thwarted by the cycling gods and my own laziness. Got all dressed in my cycling clothes, prepared my bottles and set up my bike for a longer ride. Went to put on my shoes and I found the strap that you push into the ratchet was on the floor! These cycling shoes are only 6 weeks old, and the ratchet/strap is backwards from other shoes I've had, in that the strap is attached to the outside of the shoe and the thing you push it into is on the body/top of the shoe. These shoes were the closest to the old ones I had, which are no longer made. I did find a small screw on the floor next to my shoes, so who knows. And yes, I have another bike, with other shoes/pedals, but I don't have a bag on that bike; DH set up an attachment to move my bag from bike to bike, but I am not quite sure how it works. And I didn't want to tempt fate by riding 20-30 miles without flat stuff and food. I am totally useless when it comes to this mechanical stuff (moving the bag), that I will have DH show me, but that doesn't guarantee I will remember the steps.
    So, I changed clothes and did a 4+ mile walk/hike involving neighborhood streets, a dirt road, and a trail. Didn't see a soul and I do feel like I got a good workout, but I want to ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sorry Crankin, what a pain. Sometimes it just seems that we aren't meant to ride that day, but there will be another one!

Today we had some errands to run and had planned on walking, but it was just so darn hot and humid that we took our cruiser bikes instead, and I am so glad that we did. First to the bank to do some business, then to the vet for some dog food. While there, I remembered that we didn't get cash at the ATM while at the bank doing other business (cancelling a wire transfer order we used while in Playa del Carmen), so we had to ride back to the bank. It was too bad, as that was a much busier route back than we'd planned. All in all, just around 4.5 miles -- I don't have a computer on that bike so am just guessing. I sure am glad we didn't walk it, with the extra trip to the bank. We would have melted!

My trapezius muscles are sore today from the ride yesterday after the longish layoff. Just one of many reasons I don't like layoffs! We'll be doing our usual ride tomorrow.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Sorry to hear about the equipment snafus, Crankin. That's makes a good case (excuse ) for having another bike and another and another. Yup crazy me. Seriously, though, I've learned to do the basic mechanical stuff on my bikes out of necessity, over the years, since there have been times when a bike was my only vehicle. It was fix the bike or walk time. I have a bit of a phobia about mechanical things, too, but I can do basics like adjust brakes and shifters and do bolt on things, now. Not my idea of fun, but I can do it. Don't let it scare you. Give it a try. We girls can do. I still need help on things that require special tools and, especially, things that require strength to loosen up, though. Then I head to the bike shop.

Good point on the heat and walking, Emily. We're in the 80s and humid, now, and while that is not hot by everyone else's standards, I am noticing it on my walks. I do feel the heat more while walking, compared to bicycling, since I am moving so much slower through the air (especially with my walking, now). Nothing like a long downhill run on the bike to cool off.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 06-27-2018 at 11:59 AM.

The part where my shoe strap fell off actually looks like a cleat plate; when I sent the picture to DH, he said, "What your cleat fell off?" But, after I described it to him, he got it. The little screw I found on the floor looks stripped to me, I don't see how it could screw into the hole. For about 3 weeks, when I went to put this shoe on, the strap would be pointed backwards, sort of dangling, away from the body of the shoe and ratchet. I seriously don't know why they changed this. It still feels un-intuitive when I put the shoes on.
    I am sure DH can fix it.
    NWG, I can barely tie my shoes (not really exaggerating here), so I leave the mechanics to others. I simply cannot remember the steps of anything that is spatially mediated. That includes most types of higher level math, too. Learning to use a computer was hell for me. In reality, if I could carry a verbally mediated, written list of every mechanical/visual function, I'd be OK, but I can't have a list for everything! I am very analytical when it comes to human behavior and literature, but other than that, I have all the traits of a non-verbal learning disability, with the exception of poor social skills. Just glad I didn't grow up in more current times, where I probably would have not achieved too much, since everything requires math now, even being a teacher.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, too bad you don't live closer. I'd be more than happy to do all your bike work for you. That's gotta be rough for you. Take care, girl.

Did my three mile walk, today, but upped the pace a bit, so a decent workout and about all I can handle, right now. This darn recovery stuff sure screws around with a girl's routine, not to mention energy level. Two weeks, down, four more to go. I'll get there. Big local mountain bike race coming up early in July. I may go watch some of the action.

Actually, not so rough. You'd be surprised how many people who ride *a lot* don't even know the parts of their bikes, or how to shift correctly. It's quite easy for me to focus on my strengths, especially when I am surrounded by plenty of Luddite New Englanders who live for their books. I ignore the tech bros entirely, despite them having taken over a large part of Cambridge and Boston. I chose my 2 careers appropriately, managed to get 2 masters degrees and was in a doctoral program for awhile. And, I married someone who can fix anything. Had to learn bike mechanics when my son was racing, as he broke stuff every week!
    This is why I like riding. I could never do traditional ball sports, at least the ones with eye hand coordination. I loved field hockey, and was good at it, but when I moved to Florida in HS, they didn't play it there. I rode everywhere until I got my license, and rode in the 80s, too. Then, I got obsessed with aerobics, became certified to teach; I could do the athletic oriented classes, but the dance-ey style stuff was beyond my ability. So, riding, hiking, nordic skiing are all good fits for me. Mountain biking, not so much! Not good for those with no spatial skills and bad depth perception.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Very impressive, Crankin, very impressive. I married one of those fix anything guys, too, but that was after I learned to fix my bikes. He does fully support my passion for riding and now he rides, too, though his riding is much more sane than mine.

Speaking of fully supporting my need to ride, I have GREAT news. We stopped at our local bike shop and I got a bike to ride on my indoor trainer that is doctor approved. After my accident, my surgeon said I could ride a trainer if two requirements were met. One, it had to be a bike I could get on and off without bending or twisting my neck and without the danger of me possibly tripping and falling. Two, it had to be a bike that kept me in an upright position with NO bowing of the head and weight forward.

So, here it is. It's a cheapo comfort bike called the Specialized Low-Entry Roll. As basic as it gets with 7 speeds and rim brakes, but it does have up to date 27.5" wheels and wide 27.5 x 2.3" tires. It's on a trainer, so who cares as long as it works, right? Hubby helped me get it down the basement (where the temp is always cooler) and mounted on the trainer. Did my first 30 minutes of pedaling since my accident. Oh, yeah, I was tired, but so happy to be pedaling.

In a sense, this may actually be a safer way to exercise than walking. No tripping or stumbling which is a very real danger on my trails. Not as much pounding transmitted to the neck as when I walk. No shin splints, for sure. No bugs or heat or risk of rain, either. Oh, I will still alternate trainer workouts with walking, but, hey, I'm pedaling. Yippeee!
    Last edited by north woods gal; 06-28-2018 at 02:53 PM.

That's great, nwg! Glad you found an upright bike to use on the trainer. Depending on outdoor conditions, sometimes it's preferable (but not often!)

We did our usual ride today, and I think it was the most miserable I've been on a bike in a long time due to the combination of sun, heat, and humidity. The first hour was not too bad, second hour was meh, but the third was brutal. If I could have caught a sag wagon, I would have! Fortunately, I survived it, and the pool after felt really good, though it's a few degrees warmer than ideal. Still, cooler than the air, by a few degrees.
    Emily

A pool to cool off after a ride like that is truly heaven. Glad you didn't overdo it with the het and humidity. Have a LOT more respect for that weather after my experience biking where you are. Upper 80s and very humid, here, today and I really felt it, too. Be careful, down there.

Have to chuckle when I think that, only a few short weeks, ago, the thought of me owning a bike like that would have been disgusting to fancy mountain biker, me. Talk about an accident to make me see how stuck up I had been. I'm sure grateful for such a bike, now. Good lesson.

Your bike is super cool looking, does not matter why you bought it!
    So, we have been on Cape Cod since early Friday morning. It is even 90 degrees here, but that varies with location. Yesterday, we went out for an early am walk and I had to take my inhaler for the first time in ages. There’s an air quality alert, apparently ozone travels up the coast from NY and NJ and hits the Cape, but not Boston. We spent all day on 2 different beaches yesterday, Friday, we went to Ptown. Glad I don’t have my bike! Weather looks frightful at home all week! We are leaving our friends’ house around noon and going to visit other friends for the rest of today.
    Not sure if I will be riding on the 4th; predicted 95 degrees.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Wow Crankin, hard to believe it is so hot up there! I am sitting here in the Orlando area, and it's certainly hot -- 89 at 5:45 pm -- but no worse than where you are.

No riding this weekend but plenty of walking, grocery stores, chores, and gym today. Back on the bike tomorrow morning and hoping for a few more clouds than Thurs. and Friday. Those were two tough rides, and part of me wonders why I am crazy enough to ride in Florida in the summer, but riding allows me to eat a lot more, and I love my food! So...I ride.

nwg, hope your recovery is continuing along. Glad you at least have some options until you can get back to riding outdoors!
    Emily

Back to reality...
    Spent late morning to mid afternoon at our former neighbors' summer house, just about 15 minutes away from where we were staying on Friday and Saturday. They live about half a block from the ocean, and it was horribly hot, even there. They did not have their AC on (first I thought they didn't have it), sort of old New England suffering, but we had lunch on their deck, under an umbrella, and then we went into a room cooled by a ceiling fan. He's a chef level cook, and we had way too much to eat and drink, but I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Since most people are at the Cape for the week, there was not the usual weekend Sunday afternoon traffic to leave, so we got home around 4:30. Usually, we wait until after dinner to leave.
    The heat wave isn't going to break until Friday. DH and I are going to do the group ride on the 4th, and I hope I survive. I nam going to ride to the gym tomorrow, but otherwise, stay indoors.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I feel your pain with the heat, Crankin. We're having the same heat wave. Had two days of heat warnings with temps in the mid 90s, something I've never seen, here. Walked the trails, early, but even so, called it quits after a mile and a half. Humidity was terrible. A bit cooler in the mid 80s, today, but rain just adding to the humidity. The only good thing about walking the trails versus walking the roads is the shade with the trails, but then you get all the bugs. Whew! At least with the bike I could outrun the bugs.

Looks like that indoor bike is paying for itself with this awful heat. Our basement is always nice and cool. No bugs, either. So glad I bought this bike even if it's nothing fancy. It works for a trainer and that's good enough. Might even find a use for it out on the road, at some point.