Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Chicks Who Ride Bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies!!

I'm new to the world of cycling. LOVING MTB at the moment, a bit nervous about riding on the road (anyone else or just me??)

Anyway, has anyone here heard of the group Chicks Who Ride Bikes? They're on FB and have some good memes.

What other womens cycling social media groups are out there??

Welcome to our forum.

Can't help you on the social media thing. This forum is as close as digital as I get and this is one of the few cycling forum for gals out there. We're a small, but very enthusiastic group, though. Join right in.

As for road work, it's all a matter of experience and learning the safety rules for riding in traffic. Start on low traffic roads with lots of room and get comfortable at this level, first. Stay off the busy streets until you get some more experience. I don't have any groups to ride with in my remote area, but going on beginner group rides is a great way to learn. Some of our other gals, here, lead groups. I'm sure they'll have some advice.

As for the MTB riding, I'm definitely a nut. Glad to share with you.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-10-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Yes, I think that road riding will have to be a slowly does it sort of thing. I recon I'll stick with MTB, but my brother in law swears by road riding to build up fitness!

Welcome to cycling…..it can be a rewarding journey on many levels. This site will probably pick up as more of the women here start riding with the better weather. Just read some thread titles that interest you……ask the questions you have, share your knowledge/perspective…we just kinda share parts of our cycling journeys and welcome all here…..

Rd vs mtb……you’re liking mtb and that’s what would be important to me

CWRB has a good perspective in the writings on their [website/blog]. I came across the founders story last year…a determined woman.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Thanks Rebecca :-)

Yeah I have been poking around and am enjoying reading the threads!

All the advice given is very true. You get used to riding on the road by starting in quiet areas and really learning to pay attention to the rules of the road. After awhile, your senses get heightened and you can almost predict when drivers are going to do dumb things. One thing that helps with safety is to run flashing front and rear lights in the daytime. You can buy rechargeable ones at a decent price and you will notice the difference in situations like when a car is waiting to pull out from a side street onto a street you are riding on.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by M1020705 View Post

Yes, I think that road riding will have to be a slowly does it sort of thing. I recon I'll stick with MTB, but my brother in law swears by road riding to build up fitness!
    A mountain bike will do you fine for road work, especially when setup with the right tires. I used MTBs for years for commuting in the city, even in the winter and as all around utility bikes in the city and suburbs. Road bikes, of course, are the ticket for long distance work and adding up the miles. What I'm saying is that you don't have to rush right out and buy a road bike to ride roads. Time for that, later.

Your brother in law is right. Trail riding and road riding build you up in different ways, though. Trail riding is a strength builder. You need those sudden bursts of strength to negotiate sharp climbs and going over objects. Road riding is an endurance builder. I do a mix of both and I think it helps for overall fitness. Not that I do either one for the sake of fitness, by itself, of course. I's still be out there riding for the sake of riding.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-12-2018 at 07:37 AM.

Chicks Who Ride Bikes

I think the very first champions were the 10 with the Recommended tag, but its just a wild guess, but after the beta, the game were released with 40 champions as Stillhart mentioned it.

I love this thread, and I think I found the best bike for me, thanks, ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by Freelifestyle View Post
    I love this thread, and I think I found the best bike for me, thanks, ladies!
    What’d ya get? Pictures or it didn’t happen. :
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

only gorgeous chicks who ride bikes

These tips and tricks did help my fiance to start her journey of cycling. Thanks for the thread.