Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wanted to find a good single speed article, and this one seems to coincide with my feelings. I showed my SS Monkey to a friend yesterday. She is just getting back into biking. Her face was quite flummoxed when I pointed out the lack of gearing. At least at first.

https://www.bike198.com/single-speed...uts-and-bolts/
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

We were all set to walk into my local bike shop and plunk down $1500 on the new All-City Log Lady single speed. Thought it was a done deal after all my hard work keeping notes and collecting data and riding single speed all week. The shop was a little busy, so while waiting my turn I wandered into the used section. You guessed it.

Against all odds, there was a very lightly used steel custom built single speed 29er. It's a Gunnar Ruffian (hand-built steel custom frame made by Waterford, here in Wisconsin). All highest end parts on the build, too. Basically a $5000 build, but we got it for less than half. Owner had other bikes he wanted to finance. Bike has barely 100 miles on it. Quality-wise, it'll be the best bike I've ever owned. Could have paid $1500 for a new Log Lady or $2150 for this one. The Gunnar frame, by itself, costs $1500. No brainer.

Having it outfitted with new Racing Ralph tubeless tires and checked over. Will pick it up in a few days. Gearing wise, it's identical to the Krampus, which I've been riding successfully in one gear all week, now, so I was ready to take the plunge. Never figured to get something like this, however. More details to follow after I get the bike home and start riding.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-11-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    We were all set to walk into my local bike shop and plunk down $1500 on the new All-City Log Lady single speed. Thought it was a done deal after all my hard work keeping notes and collecting data and riding single speed all week. The shop was a little busy, so while waiting my turn I wandered into the used section. You guessed it.

Against all odds, there was a very lightly used steel custom built single speed 29er. It's a Gunnar Ruffian (hand-built steel custom frame made by Waterford, here in Wisconsin). All highest end parts on the build, too. Basically a $5000 build, but we got it for less than half. Owner had other bikes he wanted to finance. Bike has barely 100 miles on it. Quality-wise, it'll be the best bike I've ever owned. Could have paid $1500 for a new Log Lady or $2150 for this one. The Gunnar frame, by itself, costs $1500. No brainer.

Having it outfitted with new Racing Ralph tubeless tires and checked over. Will pick it up in a few days. Gearing wise, it's identical to the Krampus, which I've been riding successfully in one gear all week, now, so I was ready to take the plunge. Never figured to get something like this, however. More details to follow after I get the bike home and start riding.
    Wow. Wow wow wow.

Nice!!!!

** just checked the geometry. That is a seriously low stack. Curious about the setup. Do you like the bike set up low? Steep stem and riser bars? Curious.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 05-11-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

That sounds nice, Northwoods! You are a stronger person than me... I am much too lazy for a single speed. Although, I came to a realization about how relative strength is last week, when I saw my neighbor struggling to get her bike in the back of her Subaru. I generally don't talk to anyone in my condo, but she clearly needed help. So, I noticed she was trying to do this without her rear seats down, because she has her grandkids' car seats permanently in there. Her bike was not that big, so I showed her the correct way to lay the bike and I knew we could get it up, over the top of the seats and then bungee the hatch, for her to get it to the LBS. She could not even lift half the bike, so I did it myself and she was amazed. Now, the bike is not a lightweight like my Silque, but it's not super heavy, either, being a nicer Trek hybrid. Anyway, it was an eye opener, as this woman is around my age and does not look totally out of shape.
    I did get out for a super short ride at around 7:30 AM. The rain hasn't started yet, but I was back to wearing tights and a head cover at 49 degrees. I feel better than yesterday, as I broke down and took a Claritin, but not as good as I felt when I rode Wednesday. I discovered that a whole section of road is being repaved and is all grooved pavement on a road that I frequently use for these short rides. It's also on the beginning part of our bike rally route on June 2nd, so I hope it's paved by then. It was fine to be out in the middle of the road at 7:45 on a Saturday morning, but it won't be fine for a group, going up a hill!
    Our leaders' ride was already cancelled, but we still have the party at 4 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Neat article, Sheila. Thanks. Jives with everything I've been told, locally. Also matches up, nicely, with all my ss experimenting, this week. Managed just short of 50 miles of combined trail and road work, this week, all in one gear! Oh, yeah, I am ready to take a break and do a little shifting, for now, but what a great learning experience it's been. My legs know it, too, but am so pleased to discover that I can manage it and, more importantly, I can do the single speed thing with a reasonable amount of comfort/challenge. That was my biggest concern. Worried that I was biting off more than I could chew.

Be sure to double check those specs on the Ruffian. You have to goo to the 29er version at the bottom of the list and check in the 19" (medium size). The frame stack on the 19" Gunnar is actually slightly higher than on my medium Krampus. The frame reach is similar, too, but the actual handlebar reach on the Gunnar with the way the owner had it setup is, as usual, too long for me. He had a 90mm stem on the bike. I'll be going with a shorter stem, right away, when I pick up the bike from the shop, first of the week. Same old, same old for my short reach.

Crankin, enjoyed the story. You're so right about how we riders sometimes overlook just how fit we are compared to all those people out there that don't exercise, regularly. As for me being stronger, well, thanks, but I doubt that. About the only thing I'll say is that I'm a strong rider for my age, but I really have to work at it. I'll be 68 in a month. Most 68 year old women stopped riding bicycles, long, ago. I'm determined to never stop riding, no matter how old I get.

Hope the allergy thing doesn't get you and our other riders, down, too much. Been a tough allergy week for me, too. Any wind at all and my eyes start to puff up and itch. That time of year.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-12-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Neat article, Sheila. Thanks. Jives with everything I've been told, locally. Also matches up, nicely, with all my ss experimenting, this week. Managed just short of 50 miles of combined trail and road work, this week, all in one gear! Oh, yeah, I am ready to take a break and do a little shifting, for now, but what a great learning experience it's been. My legs know it, too, but am so pleased to discover that I can manage it and, more importantly, I can do the single speed thing with a reasonable amount of comfort/challenge. That was my biggest concern. Worried that I was biting off more than I could chew.

Be sure to double check those specs on the Ruffian. You have to goo to the 29er version at the bottom of the list and check in the 19" (medium size). The frame stack on the 19" Gunnar is actually slightly higher than on my medium Krampus. The frame reach is similar, too, but the actual handlebar reach on the Gunnar with the way the owner had it setup is, as usual, too long for me. He had a 90mm stem on the bike. I'll be going with a shorter stem, right away, when I pick up the bike from the shop, first of the week. Same old, same old for my short reach.

Crankin, enjoyed the story. You're so right about how we riders sometimes overlook just how fit we are compared to all those people out there that don't exercise, regularly. As for me being stronger, well, thanks, but I doubt that. About the only thing I'll say is that I'm a strong rider for my age, but I really have to work at it. I'll be 68 in a month. Most 68 year old women stopped riding bicycles, long, ago. I'm determined to never stop riding, no matter how old I get.

Hope the allergy thing doesn't get you and our other riders, down, too much. Been a tough allergy week for me, too. Any wind at all and my eyes start to puff up and itch. That time of year.
    The stacks I saw all read something like 556 for every model. Not sure where I was looking. That is good to hear. May get a custom frameset one day. And Gunnar is reasonable compared to Seven. Amongst others.

Looking once more, the Ruffian 17.5" looks almost ideal for me. The Rock Hound isn't quite as good. Longer and lower in the front. If I got a mountain bike from them, I'd want a geared Ruffian, I think, since I already have a SS.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 05-13-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Our leaders' party was fun and DH and I are going to lead 1/3 new type of rides to lure AMC members who have not ridden with the bike committee, i.e. either new people, or hikers, skiers, paddlers who ride, but not with us. The lure is they get a free lunch! If we don't get enough people to sign up who are new, we can open it up to others who have ridden with the club. We'll see how this works. Now I have to figure out a new route that is about 20-25 miles long.
    Today started out cold and cloudy, really raw. At the party, I made plans to ride with one of the other women, who is the girlfriend of a man who DH and I mentored. He is recovering from knee surgery and DH is down with a cold and injuries from, well, a very stupid accident that could have been horrible. He's had a bad week! So, at first my friend and I were going to do a 25 mile ride, but even though we knew it would be clearing, we opted for an 18 mile ride from her house. They live really close, but I drove there, with my bike. She is a very strong rider, but she hasn't been out much; also hiking is more of her first sport. But, she definitely has slowed down. It was coolish when we left, but by the end, I had my head cover off and wished I was wearing a vest, not a jacket and had brought short fingered gloves. But, I unzipped and was fine. Although the ride was not on any roads I don't usually go on, it was mostly in the opposite direction, so it felt different. It was quiet out at first, but then, more riders and cars. I am glad I went, it was fun.
    Leaving for Mother's Day at my son's around 5:30. I cooked and made the dinner, so when my DIL gets home from work, it will be ready. I just spoke to my other son. He leaves for Ranger training on the 22nd, so he is in Philly, where he will leave my DIL and granddaughter for a couple of weeks, so she won't have to spend 8 weeks alone. Thinking I might get down there before she goes back to GA.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Crankin, I hope your DH will be okay. Sorry to hear that he is down for awhile! A bike accident?

We had four good rides last week (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) of around 35-36 miles each. On Friday I felt especially strong. I almost always take off Saturday/Sunday because of how busy the trail is and needing to do other things (laundry, shopping, work out in the gym, long walks, etc), but looks like this week we'll be lucky to get in any rides, as a tropical-looking thing has settled in over Florida, bringing lots and lots of rain. It has been raining since last night, and I am dreading having to take the bus to my orthodontist appointment in an hour. We haven't had many rainy days at all this year, so I can't complain, but just wish it weren't today. One of the downsides of living car-free! They say we could get 3-6" of rain over the next few days. Now I really wish I had ridden yesterday, as it was cloudy but not raining, but I had planned on laundry and the gym, and I just didn't think it through. Oh well.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Speaking of tropical weather, Emily, read that the NWS is predicting another bad hurricane season, this year, at least on a par with last year. Hope you don't have to deal with that.

My bike shop's been very busy, as you might expect for this time of year. That means my new single speed won't be coming home, today. Poop. Oh, well. Did a some trail and road miles on one of the geared bikes in one gear to practice. Unusually hot for us at 80 degrees. Star was showing it. Border Collies don't do well in heat. Have to keep an eye on them in hot weather.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-14-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Emily, no it was noting to do with a bike accident! First, he's been getting PT for a back issue that is getting better. Then, he was not paying attention going down the stairs and he messed up his foot. That is slowly resolving, though walking hurt more than riding. Then, he caught a really bad cold from our granddaughter the weekend before this past one. Both she and our son had been really sick. But, then Wed. night we had water in our basement. It turned out the main line to the septic tank was clogged, so after a plumber, the condo association getting the septic company out here, and then the pipe unclogging guy, who didn't get here until 9:15 PM, he was exhausted. When the guy finished, around 11:30, DH went out again to check with him in front yard. Although he had lights out for where the guy was working, he didn't see the cover to the septic tank was off still and he fell in! In order not to drown in a pile of sh!t (although it had just been pumped 3 hours earlier), he was able to catch himself by doing an old gymnastics maneuver, but he is really banged up. An unfit person probably would have broken several things... I laughed my head off, but I reminded him there is a reason to look down at the ground at times! Yesterday his cold was so bad it was unreal. He stayed home today and it wasn't just work from home, he actually slept on and off through the day and he is much better now.
    We are getting that front tomorrow late afternoon to evening. Severe thunderstorms and wind predicted, but Wednesday looks great for my friend who is from western MA and I to ride.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Good heaven's Crankin! That is what I call a really lousy day. Unbelievable. Glad he's on the mend.

Getting a few showers, this evening, but we have had an abnormally dry May, so far. Not sure what to make of our weather, anymore. I don't dare wish for more rain for fear of going to the other extreme.

Did two rides, today, one after breakfast and one late afternoon. Nothing strenuous. Just kind of noodling around for fun with lots of stops to throw sticks for Star. Need some of those rides, now and then. Keeps me from getting too intense. Helps me to keep things fun. Star loves it, too.

Forum is up! (Obviously).

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Thanks for letting us know, Sheila.
    Planning a 40-ish mile ride tomorrow. DH took the day off and I am back to my 3 day a week schedule. It is going to be 85-90, so I am hoping to start early. We were going to do a group ride Sunday (a group that doesn't necessarily ride together), but it is going to be cold and rainy. Then, I thought we'd just do the ride Saturday, as it's going to be super hot and this ride is a metric starting on the coast in northern MA, going up to Exeter, NH. But, that's out too, because now, while it's going to get stormy here in the late afternoon, I just heard the weatherman say, "Don't plan on a beach day on the North Shore on Saturday," because the storms are starting much earlier there. So, it will be another hot and hilly ride. So, Sunday will be a rest day and it looks OK for a short ride on Monday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Thank heavens the forum is back. I know we're a small group as forums go, but I really, really missed not being able to chat with everyone. I missed you guys.

My news while the forum was down is that I've fallen in love with my single speed and the whole single speed concept. The Gunnar SS really is the finest bike I'ver ever owned. Now well over 100 miles on the pavement with it, about 20 or so on the trail. Been riding it everyday at least a little, often alternating with one of the other bikes.

Out on the pavement I can climb my hilliest sections on my route with the gearing I now have on the Gunnar. I was not expecting this because I do have some sections that are nothing but hills for miles, not a level spot anywhere. Oh, I really have to work at it and, for sure, it's been a learning experience as far as technique needed. Very satisfying to do these hills my with only one gear, though. The amazing thing is that my average speed on the hilly routes is the same and even better than with the geared bikes. This I did not expect, either. Who knew? The reason I can do better with the single speed is that I really have to hit the climbs early and hard to maintain my momentum. Can't get lazy and wait till I'm well into a climb and just drop down to another gear and just spin up the hill, as with a regular bike. In other words, I'm getting up the hills faster on the single speed. Really have no choice. On the level sections I can maintain a very pleasant 12 mph for an average speed, even with a good head wind.

Much harder to ride my trails in one gear, believe me. Have to do MUCH more standing on the pedals. Still, I can climb my steepest sections, but it takes it's toll. Half an hour on my regular laps is about it, for now. And here I thought I was in good shape. Whoa!

Okay, call me crazy, but I figured why not have one single speed (the Gunnar) for road work and one with lower gearing for trail work? Sooo ... traded in two of my five fat bikes (a couple of Norcos) and had my local shop order that Log Lady steel single speed, today. Good thing, because I got the last medium LL in the country. The Log Lady will be my dedicated trail single with a bit easier to manage gearing for trail work. Won't be ready for awhile, but that's okay.

Anyway, glad to be back.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 05-24-2018 at 04:24 PM.

I missed it too.

You bought the Log Lady?

I'd like an inexpensive around town bike that I'm not afraid to lose if stolen.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!