Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Convertible jacket magnets?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I decided last night that I could use a windbreaker that is more reflective/visible at night. It turns out that this is not an easy thing to find. Heavier jackets are made for night riding but simple lightweight windbreakers are not, for some reason.

After much searching, I have managed to find two Louis Garneau jackets that might be what I'm looking for. One is a regular jacket and the other is a convertible one -- the sleeve and shoulder part can be removed leaving you with a vest. The two pieces are held together with magnets.

Has anyone worn a convertible jacket held together with magnets? I am wondering if they would be annoying and feel heavy.

I already have a very good vest for night rides, with reflective piping down the front and back. I also have heavier jackets with good reflective bits. My current windbreaker is an ordinary yellow jacket, perfectly fine for daytime but at night I tend to go with the vest and hi-viz arm warmers with reflective bits, for better visibility. However last night I was cold with the vest and arm warmers, yet I would have been too warm with the heavier jacket. It was perfect windbreaker weather. Hence the decision to invest in a new jacket.

There have been occasions when I thought that a convertible jacket would be useful, but didn't buy one because I already the vest (plus a second one with pockets that I wear for daytime rides) and the windbreaker and all those arm warmers etc etc. So part of me says, get the convertible. Unless the magnets would drive me crazy.

FWIW these are the jackets I'm looking at:

LG Cabriolet

LG Luciole

Oh and by the way I MISS TE SO MUCH RIGHT NOW!!! I know I would have found what I wanted so easily with them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I had an older LG jacket with magnets and I hated it. I found it difficult to remove sleeves without taking the time to remove the jacket. With both sleeves and shoulder attached when removed, there was more bulk to stuff some place. I gave the jacket away. I much prefer the individual zip off sleeves. Just my take on it.

Penny Pinson
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

I think magnets would feel horrible. I bought an expensive convertible jacket with zippers, from someone on TE (Bluetree?) at a reasonable price. The problem is, it's too heavy! It's really a winter weight jacket, because of the lining, so having the sleeves come off seems silly, because if it's cold enough to wear it, I don't want to be wearing a vest! The thing I love about this jacket, is that in addition to the detachable sleeves, it has pit zips. So, I can wear less layers underneath and use the pit zips, and not feel so warm.
    Have you looked at PI jackets? My light wind jacket (the one with the funky zipper) has some reflective design on the back. It's not a lot, though. What about getting some of those LED blinky bands you can wear on your wrist and or legs? I have an old battery version that I use. Also, just my take on this, when I ride in the dark at 5:30 AM, with DH, his hi viz yellow jacket is clearly visible in the dark. No reflection needed. We have reflective stripes on our tights, though. But, people see our lights first,and they will not miss us.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks ladies. I think the jacket with magnets is out of the running.

I guess I could also consider the Pearl Izumi convertible jacket. It does seem to be very popular. The reflective elements are okay but not as good as they could be, especially in back. The white ones are on sale right now. I'm a bit confused about sizing, since some reviews say that people are ordering two sizes up. According to the size chart I would wear a large, but maybe I'd need an XL, I don't know.

One thing about the LG jackets I was looking at is that I am only guessing on the visibility of them at night. I haven't been able to find any photos of them in the dark with a light shining on them, so I am just assuming that the parts with dots on them are the parts that are reflective or glow in the dark.

Maybe I will order both the regular LG and the convertible PI, so I can see them both, try them on and test them out in front of my car headlights.

I agree that hi-viz yellow is great for visibility at night as well as in daylight. My preferred colors for night riding are hi-viz yellow, hi-viz pink or white. I do wear reflective wrist bands and ankle bands (I love the ones from Road ID) but like to have reflectivity on my torso, too, especially on my back.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I really don’t wear cycling jackets. I have the showers pass which does not convert to vest.

What I normally do is combine arm skins and a cycling vest in various combinations weather depending. The main advantage is you get warmed up and arm skins go off or pushed down the arm. Suddenly cold or in shade? Skins go back up. Skins up and vest unzipped. Endless fun and variations depending on you and the weather

I have lighter weight and heavier vests. Regular arm skins and a pair or two smart wool.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/