Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Not a new rider, but I may as well be...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been off my bike for about seven years now. Recovering from thyroid cancer kicked my - yeah - and now I want to get back in the saddle. I've got vacation coming up in a month, and I think I'll take that time to tune up the girl and get her up and going. Any suggestions?

Good for you. I think it's a great idea. My advice is to take it slow and easy and work up to longer rides, gradually. Keep it fun.

... and ... just get on the bike and ride a little. Don't count Don't compare except to *not riding.* Riding is always better than not riding

Enjoy getting back to riding! It can be a good and healthy help in moving on from a cancer journey!! Bicycling goals were a part of my recovery. Since it’s been awhile for you, I’d find my riding comfort zone (vacations can be good opportunities) and gradually work up to where I want to be or to a goal. Just enjoy riding…..slow and walking steep parts (still good exercise) to a goal like riding in a 3 day tour de pink for feelings of solidarity (and saying I'm kicking it’s ***) to easy urban, rural or trail rides….it’s all good…..You live in a great city for cycling too!!!!!!

Btw this is a good site to share info/experiences....take advantage

and yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Hello and welcome. Glad you are feeling better.

Eh, what kind of bike is it? What type of suggestions are you looking for?
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Hey, didn't catch the Portland, Or. location. Spent a couple years there with the bicycle as my only means of transportation. Portland is one of the all time great bicycling cities. You'll find a ton of local support.