Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: April Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

good to hear paisley is better!!!!

It’s been a while since I’ve ridden my fixie, so this week I’ve commuted everyday with it. The different technique and thinking came back quickly and i even pulled off an awesome backwards dismount off the saddle and the back of bike into holding the saddle and walking ……anyway it’s fun to switch it up now and then…and this getting later light ftw!!!!!

Rode the bike path south and back for 15 miles total to let the ocean clear my mind and do some good intervals…..

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I decided to keep the riding light today, as we are leading tomorrow. So, since I woke up at 4:30, I rode to my boot camp class at the gym and back home, a Total of 2.6 miles. The sky is now getting light in the east at 5:15, so beautiful.
    I was going to ride to work, but, I decided to rest my legs. After work/lunch, going over to my son's to babysit, so he can go to "parents' night" at the Montessori School where my granddaughter is doing a Saturday class for toddlers. I feel old just saying my son is going to parents' night.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Glad to hear you dog is on the mend, Emily. My husband and I would be lost without our two dogs.

Rebecca, I've often toyed with the idea of getting a fixie or single speed. Not that I need another bike, of course, but the idea of the simplicity and durability appeals to me. Would love to hear more about these bikes if anyone cares to share their experiences.

As for me, I've been on ice patrol on our trails for the last three days, breaking up ice with a sledgehammer, then shoveling it off the trails. Fortunately, my trails are about 90% dirt, now, but back in the shade on sections where I packed the snow down hard with my winter riding, very thick 3-4" ice formed when the melting began. Would take another two weeks of warm weather to melt those ice sections, so I decided to take matter into my own hands. Crazy, for sure, as it is very hard labor, but all the trails I rode in the winter are now ice free and, even though muddy, I have been riding them.

As for my summer, only, trails - trails that I could not practically keep open with a snowblower (about a fourth of my trails) - they are still buried under the snow, but parts of them are peeking through. Can't wait to ride them, again, since thy are the trickiest to ride.

Temps got into the 50s, the other day and I rode with shorts. Yipee! First time since last fall. Felt great, after a long winter of wearing heavy leggings. Of course, 50s would feel horribly cold wearing shorts after a summer of riding, but I'm still very winter acclimated, so it it was very comfy.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 04-27-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I’m sorry about Paisley, Emily. Moby is also in congestive heart failure. Sounds like she is doing well. Luckily the symptoms can be well-managed with the right meds.
    Thank you, Sheila! I didn't know anything about this disease until this week. I have learned a lot. Paisley is "only" 10 (in Feb), so we hope that with meds, she'll still have a good life ahead. She is so so so much better; we can hardly believe it. Miracle meds!

Bike-related content: Since we are car-free, though you all might like to see Paisley's transport taxi to and from the vet (only 1.5 miles from the RV park). She is the best little rider...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1522_01.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	18335 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1522 - Copy_01.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	18336

Got in another 35+ miler today before our weekend off (walking, markets, gym, etc, and staying off the busy bike path). Rebecca, that bike path looks like a blast!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Glad to hear you dog is on the mend, Emily. My husband and I would be lost without our two dogs.
    Temps got into the 50s, the other day and I rode with shorts. Yipee! First time since last fall. Felt great, after a long winter of wearing heavy leggings. Of course, 50s would feel horribly cold wearing shorts after a summer of riding, but I'm still very winter acclimated, so it it was very comfy.
    Thanks, nwg! Since we couldn't have kids, the dogs we have had over the course of our almost 33-year marriage have been like our children. We feel the same as you -- although after Paisley is gone, we are going to take a dog break to facilitate traveling. We've had 1-2 dogs for all but about 2 years of our time together, and they do take a lot of time and money, as you know. We love them dearly, tho.

I know exactly what you mean about the first warm days up north. The one winter we lived in Wisconsin (near Richland Center), the winter was so cold that the first time it hit 50, we were outside in shorts and t-shirts! What a change now that we are acclimated to a Florida climate. We won't even ride until the temps hit upper 50s, and even then, we are bundled up.
    Emily

Love the dog carrier! Cute.

Dogs really are like kids. My hubby and I have both had children from previous marriages and because we are so isolated, up here, we don't get visits very often.

Speaking of dogs, Star, our Border Collie, is in doggie heaven with all this snow melting. It's allowed her to find an unending supply of sticks for me to throw while working on the trail this week. I have to stop my work, frequently, to throw all her new found sticks, but i don't mind a bit. She's my constant companion on trails, whether riding or working on the trails. Wish I could take her on my road riding, but just won't risk it, even with our very light traffic.

"Summer-ized" my two, winter-only fat bikes, yesterday (clean, inspect, lube as needed) and then put them in summer storage. Now turn my attention to my two other Norco fat bikes that I ride mostly in the summer. They'll get the same treatment, but will get ridden, immediately. All the other bikes are already tuned and ready to go. Come on, summer!

We had a wonderful 21 mile ride with our group today. The weather was perfect. Only 3 people elected to come with DH and I, the "faster," group; with an average of 13.5, you can imagine what our other 2 leaders had to deal with. But, they were all happy, as we waited the extra half hour for the slower group to come back. There were about 12-13 in the slower group. Unfortunately, one woman should not have been on the ride, but the co-leader of that group(someone who's taken the training class, but hasn't fulfilled the leading requirements) stayed with her until the end. The ride is show and go, unlike the others, where I screen people, so unless we change the format, it's a risk. At least she'll have a good impression of AMC.
    It was 70 when we finished. And I felt much better than when I pre-rode most of this ride 2 weeks ago.
    Getting ready to meet friends in Boston, for an event at the Museum of Fine Arts and dinner. A good day!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good day for this gal, too. All trail riding, today, on the fat bike and, best of all, all riding on dirt. No snow! First full ride of the season on nothing but dirt. Okay, some of it was mud and even some of the drier sections are still pretty soft. Made for some hard peddling, but I couldn't be happier. As I rode, smelling the thawing soil and my north woods surroundings of pine, fir and spruce, I was serenaded by a loon calling out on the lake. My wonderful north woods at their best.

Glad you both had good rides, Crankin and NWG!

I ended up doing a few miles on my cruiser bike yesterday to downtown and back, and it reinforced my usual ban on riding here on Saturdays. Cars, bikes, people walking everywhere. The downtown farmer's market and other things going on seemingly every Saturday makes it just crazy. And there were a couple of yard sales along the way that brought extra traffic. Looking forward to our usual calm weekday ride tomorrow morning!
    Emily