Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: April Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Love hearing about all these great rides and pleased everyone is having nice weather, now. We are, too. Been one week of glorious sunny weather with highs in the 50s. Still been mostly riding our paved roads, but have no complaints whatsoever. Loving it. All our local MTB trails, mine included, are now in mud and slush season and while they could be ridden early in the morning after a night of freezing, just no reason to tear them up. I'm using this in between time to tune and get all the summer bikes ready to go. Will probably put the two fat bikes with studded tires in the shed for the summer, now. They served me well for my snow riding. My standard fat bikes will be ready to go by the time the trails are open for summer riding. My other MTBs already are. Come on summer!

We are back in our "home" area in central Florida and did a 28-mile ride this morning. It was a bit strange being on the road bike again after riding my MTB for a week, but it didn't take too long to adjust -- having the same saddle on all my bikes helps. Nice tailwind on the way out, plus clouds, though it was quite humid. Head to cross-winds on the way back were a bit tougher, but I still felt pretty good overall. The trail and even roads were light on traffic today, perhaps because it was Monday, or perhaps because so many snowbirds have left the area.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Would that be the Clermont area, Emily? That's the area we visited, last time in Florida.

Spring has sprung in our area. Went for a short 15 mile ride on the pavement with the ECR, late afternoon, yesterday. Temp was in the mid-60s. I've been so used to dressing for cold weather that it never occurred to me not to wear leggings. Got out in the sun and then wondered why I didn't wear shorts. Such an abrupt change in only one week. I'm still adjusting to it. Out of habit, I'm still bracing myself for that shock of cold air when I step outside the door. Next week, we may even hit 70.

Very pleased with the Surly ECR as a pavement bike. It's no feather light skinny carbon bike, for sure, but I actually hit an average speed of just over the 13 mph on a 10 mille stretch of gentle hills. That ties my best for average speed on that section with a standard road bike. Pretty amazing for a heavy steel 29 plus bike. Once you get it up to speed, it just wants to stay there with very little effort.

I did notice that the ECR rides stiffer than my Surly Krampus, which is essentially the trail bike version of the ECR. The ECR felt almost like a tri bike in this regard. Not harsh, but not as forgiving on pavement as my other steel bikes. This stiff frame may have helped with the speed, though. I was expecting this kind of ride, based on my research before buying, so no surprise. The ECR frame is designed, specifically, to carry heavy loads. Reports say that it's at its comfy best with a load. It is, after all, a gravel or offload camping bike that can pack enough gear to carry you across a continent. Not sure I'll ever do that, but stiffness notwithstanding, it is a bike I can ride all day. Fits me like a glove, now that I have my Terry Rosie on it. Way cool.