Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

So finally to Asia soon

To disable ads, please log-in.

We will be off to Japan and Seoul, South Korea. Only for 12 days. Should be interesting. No, we aren't bringing bikes. We don't perceive Tokyo as bike friendly, since there's lot so sidewalk riding by locals. Kyoto apparently has a bike share but doubt we have time for cycling.

For Seoul where he's been and loved it, we may use bike share to enjoy the river that runs through the heart of the city.

I just hope there won't be strange politics, an earthquake or typhoon. Need prepare possibly lots of rain in June.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Have fun, ShootingStar.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sounds like an interesting trip! I spent 2.5 weeks in Tokyo for business in 2000, and I did not see people riding bicycles on sidewalks. I saw LOTS of bicycles on the roads and parked everywhere. Lots of workers commuting to their jobs via bikes, which I thought was great. My manager and I walked to work every day. It may depend on the part of the city, but it appeared bike friendly to me. That said, I would not want to bother taking my own bike unless I had a folder that could pack in its own suitcase, like a Bike Friday (which I just happen to have ). For me, it would not be worth the hassle, risk, or extra cost to pack a non-folding bike unless I were traveling abroad for months.

Have fun!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Sounds like an interesting trip! I spent 2.5 weeks in Tokyo for business in 2000, and I did not see people riding bicycles on sidewalks. I saw LOTS of bicycles on the roads and parked everywhere. Lots of workers commuting to their jobs via bikes, which I thought was great. My manager and I walked to work every day. It may depend on the part of the city, but it appeared bike friendly to me. That said, I would not want to bother taking my own bike unless I had a folder that could pack in its own suitcase, like a Bike Friday (which I just happen to have ). For me, it would not be worth the hassle, risk, or extra cost to pack a non-folding bike unless I were traveling abroad for months.

Have fun!
    For sure, the thought of cycling in Tokyo without some lengthy protective infrastructure, turns me off. Especially in a foreign country...in case something happens.
    He's buying a BikeFriday folding bike next month. This is to replace a much older, well used Dahon bike.

I've never been to Asia.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.