Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow!

Snow!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My part of Indianapolis received 10.1 inches of snow yesterday... 45 and sunny today!

We have had a month of that. I think we are on an upward trend though, with 50s and 60s forecasted for the end of the week. Too bad, with rain, also.
    I cross country skied the week before last, after our large storm. Conditions have been awesome for that, not too far away, but now, my brain has switched.
    The snow melts fast when it's 45.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Catrin, if those temps hold, yes, it will be gone, soon. We've been stuck in a cold, but sunny weather pattern for half a month, now, with just enough melting by day to form a lot of ice. More ice than I've seen in a long time. Just one of those springs.

Our snow from Wednesday is just about gone, but we only had a few inches and it was already melting before it stopped coming down thanks to the angle of the sun (through the clouds).

I'm having new floors installed in a couple of weeks, including all my closets. I had thought I'd be able to put all the winter boots and coats in storage as I pack things up to get them out of the way, but I am still wearing them! At least I could pack up the long coat and heavy sweaters that I wear for sub-freezing days. But still. I haven't been too bothered by the cold weather we've had all month since we had numerous nice days in February, but at this point I am getting annoyed.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Same here NY, I got out my clothes bins last weekend and started the swap for winter to summer clothes... pulled them back out yesterday.

Electra Townie 7D

I am super annoyed. Thursday is going to be 60. I guess I will commute, because I have to work and then prepare for Passover and guests all weekend. I just saw that on Wed. there is going to be some kind of precipitation in the AM, so the group ride I was counting on will probably not go. I can go to spin, and I actually have stuff to do, but I want to ride! Friday afternoon AND Saturday are going to be rainy, so it looks like Sunday will be the next day I can ride after commuting Thursday.
    The weekend of the 7th and 8th looks rainy, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We will finally get temps above 60 later this week, for the first time this month. Just in time for me to head up to NY for a long weekend! Then it will get colder again next week, after I return.

And through it all, I am still suffering from tree pollen.

Still happy we didn't get hit with snow in February when it would have hung around a lot longer...

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I think we all have a case of spring fever! We're predicted to actually have rain, tonight. If so, it will be the first rain of the yearner us. Mightvmelt some snow, too. It's right at that temperature borderline, though, where it could also come as snow. Crossing my fingers.

Friday afternoon and now the whole weekend looking OK, now. Yay, we can ride with our friends when they come. Jury still out on Wed. morning.The forecast I saw when I got home tonight said freezing rain, but it was just west of here. But, if it's dicey, or even wet, the group may cancel.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Wow, more snow for us along the way. Our area received so much snow, now the municipality has run out of rm. to dump the excess snow..

While thankfully the prairie air is dry to suck up snow water, we're still left with crap in the suburbs. I don't live in the suburbs.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Springtime in full bloom here, but with that comes WIND. This morning the Weather Channel said 10-15 mph NNE, which I could tolerate, but it was actually much windier, and during the ride, the wind shifted to the SSE, so we ended up with head or cross winds (mostly head winds! ) in both directions, since our "out" is generally north and east and our "back" is generally south and west.

I turned on the Weather Channel right when I walked in the door, and they said winds were now in the 20-30 range (20 sustained with gusts to 30 mph). D'oh! No wonder the ride was super hard. We did the same ride the previous day with winds 10-15 mph NNE the entire time, and I averaged a full mph faster. My legs are feeling it now! Glad Wed. is our usual day off to do laundry and gym workouts. I need that break.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, every spring I say something like, "I forgot how windy it is in the spring."
    Now, you think that since this will be my 17th spring riding, I would have learned! It doesn't even matter if it is sunny and warmer, I hate wind. Although, the clouds and slightly raw feeling of a typical New England early spring does not help.
    I just allow myself to to feel permission to go as slowly as I need to if riding in the wind, and remind myself that whatever wind is around me, it's worse, just 10 miles east, closer to the coast.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Springtime in full bloom here, but with that comes WIND.
    Think of it as improving your fitness!!!

I can embrace headwinds and see them as resistance training and use it as a good challenge….when I can’t I’ll draft Alex cuz she embraces it even more than I do. One good tip she has given me was on wind buffering descents shifting to a higher gear and the pedaling helps a lot in stability.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Yes, I forget about it every year too, Crankin. I don't remember it being this windy here last year -- March was a lot warmer, and that usually puts a little damper on the wind, but who knows. I am probably just forgetting. And you're right, it would be even worse if we were on the coast of Florida instead of the center of the state!

NWG, I definitely have to look at it that way: "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger". Since there aren't too many real hills (just gradual inclines) on the trails/roads we ride most frequently here, the wind provides for natural intervals. My DH doesn't mind it at all as he is such a strong rider, and on a light wind day doesn't get as good a workout as he'd like since we are not in hilly territory here. So he embraces it more than I. I don't think I'll ever learn to love it, but I can endure it.

Fortunately, looks like yesterday was the windiest day we should see in the next week+, based on the forecast.

Sorry to hijack the thread -- I was thinking that I was posting on the March Rides thread, not on Catrin's Snow thread. Hope your snow has faded away, Catrin!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Well, this isn't really about the rides we are doing, or not doing! It's about weather and the conditions we are all facing.
    The group ride was far away and was listed as, "not really pretty, on busy roads, and the draw is the lunch." Not for me! So, with that off my plate, I got up early, made my matzah kugel for Passover, and then I will head to get my nails done (I will walk there, 1/3 a mile). Then, I'll go for a short ride, as the wet ground should be dry and the sun will be coming out. Meeting a friend for coffee at 3, then haircut at 4. A busy day, but I don't feel stressed. Pretty much all of my holiday prep is done, except for setting the table, and I can't do that until after breakfast on Saturday, since we only have one eating space now. Oh, and preparing some balsamic glazed strawberries. DH is in charge of the main dish, roast chicken, so all I have to do is heat up and put the stuff on the table.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura