Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Mountainbike Saddles

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm having trouble figuring out the right saddle for the new Karate Monkey. I used a Brooks B-68 Imperial on the Krampus because it was maxed out on a 410 mm Thompson seatpost. It was comfortable, but not good for moving around. I've tried my usual Specialized saddles (Romin) but the design for the new ones has changed in that the cutout is lined with hard plantic, so I'm compressed on hard plastic edges. (What were they thinking?) To be fair, it's a men's saddle that I always considred unisex, and now the new design is not working. They have far fewer choices in the womens. Ruby is so and so. The other problem is both the Romin and the Oura (which I do not believe has the plastic edges problem) have flared rear areas which isn't all that good for a mountainbike position. It needs to be flatter. Maybe I could try another Specialized Toupe. They have a 'sport' model that might work. More padding than the minimal design ones and the rear is probably not flared. I don't see any plastic. I don't know. I need a cutout, and saddle with plenty of area to sit on in the rear, and not so much cutout in the rear that the sitbones sit on the edges of it. Not sure which way to go.

Thoughts? They changed the design. And they have few offerings in the womens. I've heard good things about the Power as unisex. but I can see that same hard plastic on the picture. The new Romin gel model I bought for this bike is not workable. Ugh.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Sheila, it is so hard to give someone else suggestions on a bike seat. It's such a matter of personal taste and fit. It's also very much a matter of your style of riding. I found a very nice lightly used Terry at a local shop, a few years, back and it's what I use on my Krampus, because my Krampus is currently doing double duty, now, as a road bike and, of course, for that kind of riding, I spend a lot of time in a sitting position with all my weight on the saddle. The Terry has been great.

On my dedicated trail bikes, doing the techy stuff, though, I actually stay with the skimpy factory MTB seats because I actually spend only about a third of the time with my full weight on the saddle. The rest of the time is with my weight up off the saddle or in a standing position. For this riding, I don't like a wide seat getting in the way on steep drops or as I move around. The skimpy unisex factory saddles work just fine.

Was the Brooks a problem because it was leather, or because of the size and shape?

FWIW Bontrager's Evoke saddle is supposed to be designed for mountain biking. There's a women's version which comes in three different widths. It doesn't have a cutout but does have an indentation to relieve pressure.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue Trek Checkpoint gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks Joanie, since I only have one mountainbike, it depends what I'm doing whether I'm standing or seated.

NY, the bulky shape, metal tabs on the rear, and metal frame are a problem on the trail. I ordered a Bontrager that looked similar to a Romin/Oura. The cutout in the rear (ha!) interfered with my sitbones. I've thought of trying the Evoke, but I've always needed a cutout, and I'm not so upright on the Monkey (I love saying that!), that I'm comfortable not having one. OTOH, it may be what I need.

This is getting expensive. Specialized has a few women's mountainbike saddles that look similar to the Evoke.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Okay, I would have suggested looking at Rivet's saddles, but they also have the saddlebag loops on the back. And metal frames, except for the Independence which has a composite frame, but a frame nonetheless.

The Bontrager saddles have a 30-day guarantee, which helps with the expense. Because yes I know what you mean about it getting expensive!

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue Trek Checkpoint gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I found the Specialized Phenom to work on my Crosstrail and also on my mountain bike. Some of the different levels have the plastic center, others don't. This works for me where the Romin/Oura did not.

Penny
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    I found the Specialized Phenom to work on my Crosstrail and also on my mountain bike. Some of the different levels have the plastic center, others don't. This works for me where the Romin/Oura did not.

Penny
    I had one a few years ago. It was just the wrong overall shape. I even put it on a hybrid I had at the time. . Thanks, though. Still can't figure out what to do.

You have a Romin on your Amira. But Rubys on your other road bikes. Those are more upright? Is that why you can do that? I actually have a Toupe on my CX, and Romins on the two regular road bikes.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Except for the Giant TCX W, which has a Oura, the road bikes have Selle SMP Gliders. Still looking for perfect saddle for the road.

Penny
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

I've ordered the new Specialized Power saddle in its most plush iteration, since it's for a mountainbike, and intend to review it once I've got it adjusted and go on a couple rides.

Assuming I don't send it back to Specialized after sitting on it for 5 minutes.

It has happened.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!