Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repair kit

Repair kit

To disable ads, please log-in.

HI guys,wounded what you guys carry in your tool kits. Obviously needs to be small to transport but don't know what I need to purchase. Advice please??!!
    Cheers

I never leave on a ride without a bike tool (basic set of allan wrenches and a screw driver), even when just riding the trails around the house. In fact, I keep one with every bike.

When I go out on the road, away from the house, I'll carry an inner tube with tire wrenches in a seat bag and then add a small portable hand pump in a handlebar bag. You should at least know how to repair a flat on your own. No one likes the job. Even if you decide you don't want to tackle the job, and decide to wait for someone to stop and help (bicyclists are very good about this), you'll have the inner tube and tools. Some folks forgo the inner tube and use a tube patch kit to save weight, but I've found that the inner tube with some flats is beyond repair or, the other extreme, as with a pinch flat, almost impossible to see where the tube is leaking.

For extreme backcountry expedition riding, some folks carry a chain tool with a repair chain link, but I've so rarely had a chain break, I don't bother. Doubt it's something you'd ever need.

As for any road riding, I always use a blinkie - a blinking red rear light - even during the day, no matter what. You just can't be too visible when sharing the road with vehicles. In a high traffic area, I'd use a front light, too, but we don't have that kind of traffic, up here. Lights are not a tool, of course, but I won't ride out on the road without one, anymore.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 03-18-2018 at 02:49 PM.

I also carry a multi-tool (that takes care of the basic needs I would have) and a mini pump and tire levers…..I also carry two co2 cartridges (my lbs recycles them) a co2 inflator, patches, ID, cell phone and money, all of it in my seat bag. I have handlebar bags for all my bikes that usually holds a camera, tube and nutrition. I’ll also easily 2nd the need for the visibility of a blinky on road rides!!!!

I’ll take a couple more tubes on long more isolated rides along with a spare brake and derailleur cable, replacement chain links, some spare spokes and maybe a spare tire depending on the route.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

In my seat bag a I keep a small multi tool, spare tube, patch kit, tire boots, tire levers, a small spoke wrench that fits the spokes on my wheels and a spare spoke made from kevlar fiber. Also some band-aids in a zip-top plastic bag and a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I think I have another zip-top bag with a couple of pieces of paper towel, in case it's raining and I need to dry my hands before handling my phone. Also I think I have a replacement chain link, though I don't remember what to do with it if my chain breaks.

I have a handlebar bag that holds snacks, extra layers of clothes, a small wallet with cash, credit card, ID and insurance card, my phone and my keys. There's a front pocket where I put an extra pocket pack of tissues, some zip ties and a few extra zip-top bags (sandwich size). I also have some heavy-duty plastic bags to keep my phone dry if it rains. And a small roll (.5" diameter) of duct tape that I found in a store that sells hiking and camping supplies (which is also a good place to find things like heavy-duty plastic bags to keep my phone dry). I got the idea to carry duct tape from a friend who makes her own portable roll by wrapping a long piece of tape around a piece of cardboard.

I also have a small top-tube bag that I use for things I might need quick access to, like lip balm, a pocket pack of tissues, my asthma inhaler, reading glasses that fold up into a small case, and a small bottle of eye drops which I sometimes need during pollen season. I used to keep my phone in it too, but phones these days are too big for small top-tube bags.

I have a mini-pump that attaches to the down tube of the bike frame next to the water bottle cage. I chose this one because it's easier to pump up a tire when the pump has a flexible tube that attaches to the valve stem. Topeak makes a similar pump that is very popular.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Lezyne-Micr...-HV-Frame-Pump

In cool weather I also keep a kevlar emergency blanket in the handlebar bag.

The tire boots come in handy if you have a hole or tear in the tire that is large enough for the tube to push through. American paper money works as a temporary boot, too, though I don't know about UK money. Ours is made with linen so it's pretty strong. You can also use a wrapper from a granola bar or an empty Gu (carbohydrate gel) packet.

This is all gear for long rides where I might be in sparsely-populated area and/or by myself. For shorter rides close to home, where calling a friend or taxi is an option in an emergency, I probably wouldn't bother with the spoke wrench and spare spoke, zip ties, extra plastic bags, emergency blanket. But I always would want the multi-tool, stuff for changing a flat tire, wallet, phone, lip balm, inhaler, tissues, reading glasses. I also always wear a Road ID wrist band. https://www.roadid.com/

Re: lights, I ride at night so I have several good headlights and taillights. Last year I also started using daytime lights -- a small white blinky on the handlbar and a tail light on the back of the seat bag. They're both labeled as bright enough for daytime visibility. I use different lights for day vs night rides so that one set can be recharging while the other is in use.

So that's what's on the bike. I also have a big duffel bag that holds extra gear like additional spare tubes, a container of Wet-Ones, more plastic bags (because yes I've been caught in the rain before with nothing to keep my phone and car smart-key dry), reflective ankle and wrist bands for night riding, a vest (gilet) and a light jacket, a few pairs of arm warmers and half-fingered gloves, and my bike shoes. So everything I need is always ready and easy to take out to the car if I'm driving to the ride start.
    Last edited by ny biker; 03-19-2018 at 11:41 AM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I am no mechanic, so I carry enough to fix a flat: 2 levers, 2 tubes in a ziplock with some powder, a CO2 injector and at least 2 CO2 cartridges. I used to have the Topeak frame pump, but my bikes are really small and if I want 2 bottle cages, I can't do that now. However, I started using Gatorskins (Kevlar tires) almost 4 years ago, and have not had a flat since. I carry tube of Nuun,
    an electrolyte tab you put in a water bottle and one spare Lara Bar. My rear bag isn't huge, but not teeny, either. Because I lead rides, I have a ziplock with bandaids, tissue, a few antihistamines, and antibiotic creme. I can stuff arm warmers or an extra head cover, etc in there, too.
    I use my jersey or jacket pockets for my wallet, phone, and inhaler. Sometimes for small clothing items, like different gloves, too.
    I run blinkie rear and front lights day and night. I use rechargeable lights that are very bright. I have 2 different front lights and one is about as strong as a car light, as I often ride very early in the AM. Both have several settings, as well a a blinking mode. And like NY, I always wear a Road ID, when I am doing any sport.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Commute errand set up:

We have two floor pumps at home so tires are at the right pressure before I go. In the pannier I have a mini pump, small repair kit with a spare tube, levers, mini tool. Frankly my commute is (was) short. If I had a flat I'd probably call in sick and walk home But I've offered to help other riders. It's good to be able to ask jaunty "You OK?" as you pass and if they need help, offer to assist.

Also have a retro looking Red Cross first aid kit with bandaids and the like. Once came to the aid of some folks in a car crash with that.

Mini wallet: keys, ID, medical insurance, one credit/debit card and/or a $20.

Phone: iPhone SE is pretty small.

Lights: commuting I have various and sundry front and back lights available which depend on which bike I'm riding. In the pannier I carry a Knog set. These can be recharged by USB. This way if I end up stuck at work, having to stay late and my lights are low I can recharge.
    Last edited by Trek420; 04-06-2018 at 08:23 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Good point on the USB charged lights. Much prefer them over batteries and it does eliminate the battery disposal issue.

All of my lights are USB charged. I got tired of wrapping that battery around my top tube years ago.
    My regular wallet is small enough for a jersey pocket, but it's full. Lately, I've been putting my license, a credit card and a bill in a zip lock. My phone goes in a jersey pocket, too.
    A non-riding friend saw me riding last weekend, very close to my home. She commented I looked all "fancy" with all the lights and reflective jacket. And I replied, well, you noticed me!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good point on the reflective clothing. My neighbors tease me about me blinding them with my bright reflective clothing, but they all love the idea. They tell me it really helps them see me when they drive by even in daylight hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    'Seriously?' Rides away shaking head.
    yeah...makes me sad coming back anymore.......
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    yeah...makes me sad coming back anymore.......
    Really does. I think FB has taken over forum culture. Just my theory anyway. I’m trying to bring some new users to TE. Don’t think it’s working so far.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Really does. I think FB has taken over forum culture. Just my theory anyway. I’m trying to bring some new users to TE. Don’t think it’s working so far.
    Seems very quiet here. Where is everyone?
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by TrekDianna View Post
    Seems very quiet here. Where is everyone?
    On Instagram and FB Social Media, it seems, has changed forum cultures.

C’mon, Liz Warren! Break up big tech!
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I checked the FB page and didn't see any interaction, this used to be such a great community.

2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

Do you know why certain posts appear to be missing? Muirenn is a good example. Rebecca quoted her, but I don't see her posts anywhere except in quote marks.