Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

The silver women's Synapse in carbon is beautiful. I suppose you are looking at that one since it's 105? It looks a lot like my CAADX, except it is raw aluminum silver, and it has the old cantilever brakes instead of disc! Another thing about the Synapse. It has thru axels instead of quick release, which is what mountain bikes typically have these days. (Better technology than quick release, and a safer design. You do need an allen key to remove the wheel, but it really isn't difficult. My CAADX has the 'old style' quick release.

The Synapse is a well-designed bike. A lot more advanced than the others you were looking at in many ways.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    The silver women's Synapse in carbon is beautiful. I suppose you are looking at that one since it's 105? It looks a lot like my CAADX, except it is raw aluminum silver, and it has the old cantilever brakes instead of disc! Another thing about the Synapse. It has thru axels instead of quick release, which is what mountain bikes typically have these days. (Better technology than quick release, and a safer design. You do need an allen key to remove the wheel, but it really isn't difficult. My CAADX has the 'old style' quick release.

The Synapse is a well-designed bike. A lot more advanced than the others you were looking at in many ways.
    I am actually looking at the alloy one, white. Unfortunately, they decided not to put disk breaks on the 105 carbon (the only model in the line up without disk breaks)... And Ultegra is way outside of budget...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hamilton View Post
    I am actually looking at the alloy one, white. Unfortunately, they decided not to put disk breaks on the 105 carbon (the only model in the line up without disk breaks)... And Ultegra is way outside of budget...
    That is a shame. Strange they didn't put 105 on the carbon. Ultegra is always a lot more. (And why is APEX so expensive?! I'd rather have Tiagra).

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

I'd take the current Tiagra in a heartbeat over Apex for quality and performance. Have owned both. Apex is bottom of the line in SRAM. Gave me nothing but headaches.

A top end aluminum frame is not significantly heavier than an entry-level carbon frame - if at all - and if you pair up a good aluminum frame with a carbon fork, it makes for a very nice ride. Great way to get a better component group. The only thing you'll notice with the aluminum frame versus carbon at this level is a different ride feel.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 03-22-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    I'd take the current Tiagra in a heartbeat over Apex for quality and performance. Have owned both. Apex is bottom of the line in SRAM. Gave me nothing but headaches.

A top end aluminum frame is not significantly heavier than an entry-level carbon frame - if at all - and if you pair up a good aluminum frame with a carbon fork, it makes for a very nice ride. Great way to get a better component group. The only thing you'll notice with the aluminum frame versus carbon at this level is a different ride feel.
    I didn't have any luck with SRAM Force/Rival, either. Shimano over SRAM, for me.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!