Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do give a fat bike a try if you get the chance. Very different riding experience than a standard MTB. Without getting all techy, those big balloon tires make for a very comfy and stable ride. Very confidence inspiring. Makes you feel you can boldly go where no bike has gone before.

Catching up again. I rode my bike on Thursday night after work. It was humid and in the high 60s. It was a slow ride as I am so out of shape. Also I had to stop several times to take off extra layers because I was overdressed. But it was nice to just get out and pedal.

Cold and snowy today but not much accumulation and it will be sunny and above freezing tomorrow. I'm out of town for the holiday weekend and not doing anything exercise related other than stretching. But another warmup is coming in a few days; I am tentatively targeting Tuesday for another night ride.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Our long dry weather spell is coming to an end, this week. Should see upwards of six inches of snow and ice by the end of the week, maybe more. Oh, well. Will try to keep the trails cleared, or at least some of them, but won't fight it to the bitter end. I will use the snow for some skiing and some deep snow fat biking. Gotta adapt if you live up, here.

Was musing, this morning, how I've had such a life-long and entirely beneficial relationship with my bicycling. My bicycles have been to me what horses have been to some cultures. If the day ever comes when I stop riding, I'm probably not long for this world.

I rode today. Outside. While I don't really like 73 degrees on February 22, it was a good ride. DH and I did a short 17.6 mile ride across town and back. Too fast on the way out, and more what I expected on the way back.
    Only negative thing is that despite being slathered by sun block, the meds I am taking for a sinus infection gave me quite a sunburn, but it's almost all gone. I know it's a chemical reaction, but it's never happened before. Thank God, it was gone before I had to go out, later in the day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Ack. Weather forecast fail.

A few days ago the forecast was for warm weather (record-breaking, high 70s and 80 in some spots) for yesterday and today. It also said there would be a chance of rain this evening, so I figured I'd go for a bike ride last night. But then the forecast changed to rain after midnight tonight, and it was windy yesterday which was kicking up the tree pollen, so I decided to do the bike ride tonight. Then when I woke up this morning I found that the forecast changed again, back to rain this evening. I brought all my gear to work just in case the rain fizzled out, but nope. I could wait and go later for a short spin, but the roads will still be wet and it will probably start getting colder now that the front has passed.

So we had two days of May weather in February and I missed out on them. Other than walking to and from my car, I spent no time outside. And now we are expecting rain through the weekend.

Oh well, at least it is not cold enough for snow.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle

Gone but not forgotten:

We're going to get nailed with some heavy snow, tonight, and then, again, on Saturday. Looks like I'll be doing more shoveling than riding for awhile. Oh, well.

As I drove home from work last night, the roads were dry. And the wind had finally subsided. No idea what happened to the rain that I clearly saw on the radar a few hours earlier. But it was after 11 pm, too late to start a bike ride.

I am gaining weight and really needed the exercise.

Gone but not forgotten:

5" of wet, heavy snow overnight and we're forecast to get another 5", tomorrow night. Whoa!

I did ride my snow covered trails as much as my legs would allow, though. As you might suspect, riding any bike, even a fat bike, in 5" of thick wet snow is no picnic. I did it mostly out of curiosity and to also practice handling a bike in that kind of snow and, okay, I can't resist a challenge. Been riding all winter and I'm in good shape, but, even so, I only lasted a bit under two miles before my legs went noodles on me. I was actually surprised to even do that.

On a techno note, I give a lot of credit to the expensive, very aggressive fat bike tires that I bought, just for these conditions. Still had fishtailing, but way less than other tires I've tried in deep snow. Also, for the record, with each pass over a section of trail, the snow compresses, more, and the pedaling gets easier.

I did try the XC skis, right off, this morning. Got in a hurry and figured the skis wouldn't need any fresh wax. Wrong! Didn't get thirty yards and the skis iced up, bad. Headed back home and waxed them, which I should have done, right off. Will try, again, tomorrow.
    Last edited by north woods gal; Yesterday at 02:22 PM.