Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

February Groundhog rides

Around, here, groundhogs don't bother to do their prediction thing until at least March and, some years, April, but since February starts with Groundhog's Day in the rest of the country, thought I'd start our monthly February ride thread with the groundhog label.

Yes, I am still riding in the snow. I'm so addicted to it that I'm still desperately shoveling snow off sections of my trails so that I don't have to ride out on the road. Talk about nuts! The snow is actually thigh deep on both sides of the trail in some sections, so I have to be very careful not to lean into my turns too much or I jam the pedals into the snow on either side of the trail. Not something you folks in the tropics have to deal with.

No, still haven't surrendered and given into doing the indoor trainer thing.

Hope everyone has a good moth of riding. Spring is just around the corner ... somewhere. Just not here.

We rode both Feb 1 and 2. In addition to being Groundhog's Day, it was our dog's 10th birthday. :-) Florida temps have been up and down, so some days we're in shorts and short-sleeve jerseys; other days tights and a few layers up top. Most days have been windy as well. Next week looks warmer, after Monday, so we're looking forward to that.

NWG, you continue to amaze me. Your hatred for the indoor trainer is a terrific motivator, though!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I understand NWG's hatred for the trainer. Mine's been unused for 2 years. However, due to the weird winter we are having, I am having to be creative, to be outside. The snow came early, and then we have had alternating frigid temps with no snow and wet, warm, rainy days. A few days with decent riding temperatures for Boston in the winter had roads full of water and/or wind. Most of my outdoor activity has been hiking, punctuated by a few trips north for nordic skiing. Thankfully, we leave for our annual trip to Vermont in 10 days. We are going as far north as one can go in Vermont, and still be not in Canada! The web cam from Craftsbury shows a 15 inch base, but we shall see.
    Posted our first group ride to lead, on 4/28. Of course, I had better be out on the road at least 5 weeks before. I used to say my first ride is usually around March 5th, but last year it wasn't until the last week in March. One day i snow shoed, the next day I rode. I just want to ride or ski, neither of which I have been doing much of. I have been religiously going to the gym, though and even have done a few spin classes, where at least i can talk to others, despite the fact the classes themselves are boring and not that well taught.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We're having same kind of switches in midwest. Yesterday I rode to church in 33 degrees w/ a little bit of snow... but came out of church to 22 degrees. Fortunately there was enough salt and dirt so things weren't glare-y, but it was 8 below this morning at the airport, with another dusting of snow... so I was on the bus. I did drag the trainer upstairs so perhaps tonight or tomorrow night it'll get set up...

I've lost track. Things are nuts at work. A couple of times I planned to put in some time on the indoor trainer but was too tired when I got home (after 11 pm) to do it. I did pedal in the living room for about 30 minutes last week while talking on the phone to my nephew, who just started a new job.

I'm okay for now with being too busy at work, since I'm gaining useful experience and this is the time of year when I'm not very active anyway. But I am starting to feel like I need more exercise to clear my head and recharge the mental batteries. And in less than a month I will be hoping to have decent weather to get back outside and ride once or twice a week.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Hope you manage it all, N.Y. When I was a career mom, it was all I could do to ride even once a week and sometimes couldn't even manage that, especially in the winter. Some days, no way could I find time to do any kind of exercise and was too tired to some, anyway. Commuting by bike was my way of sneaking in some ride time when I could, but that wasn't always an option.

Retirement has been such a blessing for my riding. Trust me, I'll never take the free time it gives me for granted. You'll get there.

Today, temps actually got into double digits. Trail was all hard pack and got a nice 5 mile workout on the trails, then back in the house for some hot cocoa.