Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

just one of the reasons i so admire oprah

To disable ads, please log-in.

9 minutes of truth
    https://youtu.be/LyBims8OkSY
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

A super big plus one on that. Didn't see the program, but read the script, this morning.

I watched her speech last night, oddly enough because Lance Armstrong shared it on social media with a note that he hoped his daughters would watch it.

I loved it. And found the reactions of others in the room interesting. Crying, smiling, cheering, men (Gary Oldman, Alfred Molina and Common) standing in support, Angelina Jolie looking serious (angry?).

Of late there have been many days when I have been disgusted with the human race, with the ignorance and greed and animal instincts on display. Occasionally something happens, someone does something to give me hope.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Just going to put this out there.
    Do we need another celebrity?
    She is a great speaker, smart, a good actor and works for social justice.
    But, she's a businesswoman. A self promoter. Does this sound familiar? I've always found her to be somewhat cultish.
    I guess I am mourning for the loss of compassionate public servants who are here to serve their country. We need some grass roots women to step up.
    Guess I am old fashioned.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm not interested in her running for public office. She was accepting an award. But she used the speech to support women who would not otherwise be heard. And I think her point about watching Sidney Poitier receive an Oscar was important. A woman in her position can and will inspire others.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I'm not interested in her running for public office. She was accepting an award. But she used the speech to support women who would not otherwise be heard. And I think her point about watching Sidney Poitier receive an Oscar was important. A woman in her position can and will inspire others.
    My hope is the Recy Taylor to Me Too resonated with a lot of people regardless of age/gender.....and along with her other personal experience words, giving inspiration especially for young girls. her enormous humanitarian philanthropy work gives her lots of credibility too

it is nice to hear someone say things that inspire the way she did ....i wish more people could see value in supporting the kind of ethic she talked about in their lives...it does give hope
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 01-08-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    It's good she expressed strongly her position. She was addressing Hollywood crowd. So suggesting her to be presidential candidate...is that all it takes to mobilize political change?

While it's great sexual assault discussion has forced some serious discussions and resignations of some men in key positions who were perpetrators, a better approach is organizations actually implementing a policy, actions and clear consequences for violations.

I am intrigued by the hugging in workplace, etc. Even our Prime Minister of Canada hugs. I guess. He doesn't need to. Happy he smiles and gives an affirmative handshake. That's good enough for workplace/work situations.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

shootingstar...attention to what she said is a lot more important than the presidential suggestions made by some after the speech. +1 on it would be good to see more support, especially local, on these issues as a result of all the attention.

Whenever attention is focused on harassment/assault issues it can help in the education about the influence/control/abuse around it. It’s a positive for people to hear of the restrictions put on people who are victims etc.
    My state and city are looking, with a strong mandate, at the process complaints go through and making it more accountable to and supportive of victims.

I hope she doesn't go down that rich celebrity as president road. We don't need another one. I admire her for her good heart, but it takes more than a good heart and celebrity status to be an effective public servant, president or otherwise, but especially the president. It's no place for an amateur, as we all can see, now. Even Obama, with all his knowledge of the Constitution and the law and his experience as a politician found it tough going. It's a brutal job.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 01-12-2018 at 07:31 AM.

I find that many people -- including some women -- don't actually understand what harassment is. One woman actually told me she doesn't understand why all these women would "let this happen," and when she was younger she "got plenty of offers but she just turned them down." So on the one hand, how fortunate for her that she has no concept of the problem. But on the other hand, so not helpful.

Gone but not forgotten:

ny….thankfully there are many people who haven’t had unwanted verbal or physical harassment directed towards them…maybe I’m too sensitive to this but for me being unaware doesn’t excuse a lack of trying to understand what others feel going through intimidating, degrading and/or humiliating experiences. One of my interests in volunteering on sex-trafficking issues is seeing the depth of personal strength that can be released through caring help. compassion ftw!

Thinking oprah is smart enough to see the large life disruption and brutal criticism that comes with politics……and also how it could affect her brand. That brand gives her the ability to reach a very large audience with speeches like at the golden globes. She’s got a good life as it is.

Yes, many, many people, educated people, are unaware of the impact of any of these types of abuse. From my vantage point as a therapist who mostly deals with trauma, it seems like a good proportion of the population associates trauma only with the military. While people recognize physical abuse/domestic violence, they have no idea that chronic verbal abuse is more prevalent and more harmful than a one time incident of physical or sexual abuse (based on a study of 14,000 older adolescents and young adults). They have no idea that financial control is a form of abuse.
    The biggest part of the work I do with survivors of DV is psycho-education to teach and convince them that verbal abuse is DV.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport