Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

One more day of wintry weather and then better conditions are on the way. We got a dusting of snow today, but with temps below freezing the roads are all white with salt. So we are expecting good riding weather this weekend but I may still be stuck indoors if the roads are not clear by then. And with no rain in the forecast, they might not be clear. We'll see. Right now I'm coughing quite a bit just from driving on the salted roads.

In the meantime, the indoor trainer is sitting in the middle of my living room right now. I programmed the thermostat to not warm up my apartment tonight. So when I get home I will set the bike up and get in a workout.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Hope you can get out for a ride, N.Y.

One thing I really, really don't miss about bicycling in the city is the road salt. That stuff does nasty things to bike parts. They use sand on our rural roads, up here, instead of salt. That I can take.

My trainer sits ready and waiting for me to use it, if and when, but have managed to get outside and ride, even in some crazy cold weather, so haven't used it, yet. Yup, that's right. I'm still bicycling, daily, and have set a personal record for days of bicycling in below zero weather and the winter isn't even over, yet. To be sure, they are SHORT rides, but they are rides.

It's going to be really warm here this weekend, like 50 or so. We got about 5 inches of snow today, but it was hovering at freezing, so not sure what the next couple of days will hold. The local nordic ski place says they'll be open tomorrow, not sure about Friday, when I am not working. I am tentatively supposed to meet my friend in western MA Friday, but I have to wait to get a better idea of the conditions there, about 65 miles west of here.
    It looks like my choices this weekend will be riding or snow shoeing. I am afraid the roads will be a mess of melting snow and of course, I'd have to clean my bike... we will see.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

We've had some chilly mornings here in central Florida lately, though afternoons have been nice. Since we prefer to leave on our rides no later than 10:30 am (traffic gets a lot worse later), we have to go when it's still chilly (to we wimps!) Yesterday we actually took off on a ride with temps below 60 (I know, LOL, for those of you in most of the US! ) I was wearing tights, wool socks, base layer + Ibex jersey + wind jacket, and ear band. By the end of the ride, the temps had risen to 69, but I still had on all my clothes, though had vented at the neck. I would have peeled layers off, but the wind kicked up big time and was in our face for the return trip, so that made it feel cooler. This morning we had a freeze and are under a wind chill advisory with feels like temps in the 20s. High is to be 54, but that won't be until 3 pm or so. No riding for us today!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

NWG I am impressed!

Emily, I would have been dressed similarly. And yes that cold wind makes a big difference.

I rode 45 minutes on the trainer last night. The first 20 minutes flew by, and after that I couldn't wait to be finished. I was listening to my own music while watching the video of Coach Troy cycling in Lake Placid. It was my first time using this spinning video. I was hoping for beautiful scenery but most of the frame was pavement and Coach Troy, with just some pine trees around the edges. And somehow it was all down hill or flat. It's a long video since he was riding the bike part of an ironman course, so I'm hoping other parts are more interesting and challenging. Anyway I got in a decent workout, which was the whole point.

Still not sure what I'll do this weekend. Re: Crankin's point about having to clean the bike, I also hate having to clean up after riding in messy conditions. I take my bike to the shop once a year for a cleaning and tune up; I used to do it in January when they're not busy, but then was reluctant to ride outside in February and March when the roads tend to be a mess. So now I wait until March for the big cleaning.

NWG, how often do you have to clean your bikes, with all your winter riding?

Gone but not forgotten:

I store the bikes in our cold room, so the temp stay below freezing, most of the winter. That means the snow and moisture never melts on the bikes, so cleaning is only needed, every now and then. Dry snow tends to be much easier on a bike than liquid moisture as long as it doesn't get a chance to melt. In really cold weather, it doesn't stick to the bikes, much, other than some on the tires. I do use a broom, though, to brush off any snow before bring the bike, indoors. Now, if I stored the bikes at room temp, I'd have to get pretty religious about wiping them down after every use in the snow, same as riding in the rain. They rust real quick after a ride in the snow if that snow gets a chance to melt.

The other reason for storing the fat bikes at cold temps is to maintain predictable tire pressures. This time of year, I usually run the tires at only 8 psi or so, sometimes even lower. One psi makes a lot of difference in the way the bike deals with the ice and snow and the way it handles. I usually check tire psi before every ride to match conditions. Higher psi makes for faster speeds and better handling, lower psi makes for better traction, but harder pedaling. Takes a special low psi gauge to be properly accurate and, of course, lots of experience as to what psi to use for given snow conditions. Tire design is also part of the equation. Some designs do better in some conditions, not as well in others. That's why I use several different fat bikes with different tires for snow riding. All in all, it's kind of the equivalent of knowing what wax to use on the skis for a given type of snow, though not quite as involved. Changing psi is a lot easier than waxing skis.

If I stored the bikes at room temp and set tire pressure when the tires are at room temp, I can actually lose enough tire pressure after the tires adjust to the cold air to drastically change the psi, even enough to cause a pinch flat on tires where I'm using tubes. (Ask me how I know.) Oh, yeah, snow biking is a very different world than regular biking.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 01-18-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Emily, I would have been dressed similarly. And yes that cold wind makes a big difference.
    Thanks! It's funny watching all the different levels of clothing people have on on our rides here. On the day I described above where we had all the layers, we saw people dressed like us and people wearing shorts and short-sleeves (brrrrr!) I am sure some folks who live here just don't own winter cycling wear, and some people just hate to wear it. I really hate bundling up for rides and much, much prefer to wear shorts and a single jersey on top, but I hate being cold!

Today is still up in the air whether it will be warm enough to ride by 11 am. We won't go if it's not 55 by then. If we miss today, every other day for the next week looks much milder, so we'll make it up later!

Sorry you're having to ride on the trainer, NY. We used to have to do that during the winter in NC, and anything over 45 minutes is excruciatingly boring and tough to me!
    Emily

I haven't been on the trainer since 2015... part of it is now my trainer would have to be in the unfinished basement, as opposed to a beautiful loft, with views of the trees. In 2016, I rode through the winter; it was warm. Last year, I rode at least once in January and February. However, I decided to substitute other outdoor activity. Even though I was doing all the winter sports before, hard sessions on the trainer interfered. I do go to a spin class usually once a week, but for now the only indoor stuff I do regularly is my 2x a week boot camp.
    I need to be outside and feel the fresh air and light. Like today, I went to my class at 5:30 AM and then did a shorter hike on a local trail for about 45 minutes later in the day. Now I am ready for an afternoon of errands. My limit on the trainer is 30 minutes.
    Everyone is different about riding in the cold, so yes, I also many different clothing combos. I tend to overdress, so now I am trying to live with being cold for a few minutes, or else I overheat. I sweat profusely and that, combined with cold is a bad recipe. Emily, what you wore would be my clothing for low 50s, high 40s and depending on wind and sun, maybe a short sleeved base layer instead. I usually have to bring 2 levels of head cover to deal with temperatures in the 50s, as well as gloves.
    I find I have a much better attitude to start riding again in March, when I really take time away (Jan-Feb). But, we might ride this weekend, that is if my street is rid of ice and slush. The main roads are fine.
    Last edited by Crankin; 01-19-2018 at 09:18 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I'm impressed w/ 45 on the trainer!

I *found* the trainer last night (well, my friend did... it was propped between a door and furniture so "lost in plain sight.")

50 degrees this a.m. and the storms were through in time for me to ride in... on the bike that the generator light doesn't work on because the Transport was so cruddified in the last 50 degrees and stormy episode that when it froze, everything froze. Even when it melted, it... has issues. It's at the shop to stick nuts in the basket holder, put on new rear brake pads (we talked about changing that wheel but... not yet... ) and general maintenance.

Yes, my stupid generator light blinks on if there's a big bump. I need to figure out which contact needs to learn how to actually contact...

... and I shall endeavor to clean this bike 'cause today is sloppy, too... at least a 3-minute swab down of the chain. I'm having serious "not enough bikes" with only my longbike (that I'm riding) and my 7500FX hybrid in Known Riding Condition.

I chatted up Larry Varney about getting one of his trikes but I'm not ready to spend 4K on a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    NWG I am impressed!

I rode 45 minutes on the trainer last night. The first 20 minutes flew by, and after that I couldn't wait to be finished. I was listening to my own music while watching the video of Coach Troy cycling in Lake Placid. It was my first time using this spinning video. I was hoping for beautiful scenery but most of the frame was pavement and Coach Troy, with just some pine trees around the edges. And somehow it was all down hill or flat. It's a long video since he was riding the bike part of an ironman course, so I'm hoping other parts are more interesting and challenging. Anyway I got in a decent workout, which was the whole point.

Still not sure what I'll do this weekend. Re: Crankin's point about having to clean the bike, I also hate having to clean up after riding in messy conditions. I take my bike to the shop once a year for a cleaning and tune up; I used to do it in January when they're not busy, but then was reluctant to ride outside in February and March when the roads tend to be a mess. So now I wait until March for the big cleaning.

NWG, how often do you have to clean your bikes, with all your winter riding?

Winter storm starting this morning. Forecast is for 9" by tomorrow morning, so headed out right after breakfast to ride the trails before the snow got too deep. Even biked out onto the lake ice and did some riding, there.

Actually, kind of fun to ride in a snowstorm when you are only minutes away from your back door. Not so much fun, of course, if you have to ride in a snowstorm out of neccessity. Done that one, too, back in my commuting days.

Been doing so much riding in the snow, this year, that it seems like a lifetime, ago, when I was riding on dry trails in warm weather. If anyone has some current pics of their riding in warm weather, would sure warm me up to see them.

Just commutes and urban riding for me…..we did have a good rain storm come through which made for two days of interesting commutes. Our storms are nicer than the other ones posted about this month …..50’s/60’s with even heavy rain is nicer than cold and snow...well, for me! Yesterday I rode into downtown L.A. for some photography and to spend time handing out personal hygiene kits (hand/face wipes, sanitizer, deodorant, lip balm, menstrual pads and tampons, also multivitamins and advil) to homeless women. The appreciation given is always an uplifting emotion!

nwg..here’s a photo from yesterday’s ride to show what downtown L.A.’s January is like

and of course a stop at salt and straw on the way home

leaving tomorrow for some work in the mojave desert and that will give me a couple of good rides on some of my favourite roads
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Salt and Straw...lucky you! Drooling...

We've had two wonderfully warm riding days with temps in the 70s even at the mid-morning starts! Amazing how much difference a 90-degree shift in the wind can make, though. Yesterday, SE winds made for a fast and fun ride, but today's SW bluster made our return trip a real slog, as we're pretty much heading NE out and SW back, in general (with some twists and turns along the way). Still, thrilled to be able to wear shorts and SS jerseys for two days, at least! Tomorrow is our laundry, gym, and errand day, and by Thursday, we'll be layering once again...such is winter in Florida. At least there's no snow or ice to contend with!
    Emily

Thanks for the pics, rebecca. January and flowers. What will they think of next?

Our storm didn't quite live up to the forecasted 9" of snow. It was more like 5", but it was a very fine grained snow and driven by a strong wind. 5" of snow is still in the doable range for the fat bikes - usually - but this was nasty. Lots of fishtailing, even with my most aggressive tire bike. I might try some shoveling or even break out the snow-blower, but keeping up with Ma Nature as far as trying to clear trails is a losing battle for me and the hubby. Way too physical for both of us at our age. Looks like I'll be mostly fat biking riding our local roads after the plows have come through. Let them do the work.

I did use the fresh snow for some cross country skiing, though. At least the skis don't care about the snow depth, other than it takes a lot of work to break the trail, initially. With each pass, though, the skiing gets easier.

So, bottom line, looks like the rest of our long winter is going to be more of an equal mix between the skis and the bikes.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 01-23-2018 at 04:42 PM.

I followed that snow storm on social media, as it hit the day a relative moved (i.e., drove his pickup truck) from Nebraska to Chicago. Fortunately the worse road conditions were farther north and he made it okay, with mostly rain. Then the storm passed through here yesterday, all rain, which was a good thing because it washed most of the salt from the roads.

I ended up with no bike ride last weekend. I did the women's march on Saturday, which was a beautiful warm and sunny day. Then I was going to go for a ride on Sunday but just couldn't get motivated. I have to learn a bunch of new IT-related things for work as quickly as possible, and I think that contributed to my preference to stay inside. Also it was cloudy and just cool enough to make me unsure as to how many layers of clothes I would need. And as Crankin said, not getting in much cycling in January-February helps me start out with a better attitude in March.

I do still need exercise, though, so will hit the indoor trainer again tonight. This time I will try a different portion of Coach Troy's Lake Placid video. But first I have more work-related training videos to watch.

Gone but not forgotten:

Well, today . it's a good thing to have spare sweatpants in the office cabinet, fortunately *two* sweatpants because it was 28 degrees on the ride home.
    Tomorrow should get to 48 :-) Might get out for the lunch laps...