Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I always enjoy being/working in the California high desert, especially with its closeness to the Eastern Sierra’s. I got a couple of good rides in this past week. When in the area my favourite is always the Sierra’s Whitney Portal Rd. It reminds me of the beauty of the French Alps. Few cars this time of year makes it even better. I rode along the base of the mountains and then Whitney Portal Rd into the foothills of Mount Whitney. Just 41 miles and 4700+ ft of gain but with many moments of taking in the medative calmness of the views and then just being in my body on the climbs. A needed balance to my usual urban riding…..

And on the ride back down, views of the very different landscape of the high desert.

When in the area I always stop at the Japanese WW2 internment camp at Manzanar. Lessons learned from the irrational fear/hate and ignorance of that time should be on more people’s minds in the U.S., now especially…….

The Manzanar cemetery obelisk which honors those who died while being held in the camp. The Kanji characters read ‘soul consoling tower’
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

What a beautiful place to ride, Rebecca. Unlike when most of us take pictures, your photographs really DO do it justice. Thank you, as always, for sharing your views and insights!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Plus one on your pics, rebecca. Wow! Oh Wow! Oh Wow!

We actually hit a hot forty degrees, yesterday. Got a little snow melting and didn't have to bundle up with the clothes to my usual winter extreme. Parts of our neighborhood paved roads are down to bare pavement, now. Almost forgot what it was like to ride on dry pavement. I do keep some of my backyard trails cleared of snow, thanks mostly to a snowblower and some shoveling, so yesterday was a combo ride of road and trail. Of course, I know better than to think we are anywhere close to being spring, but it sure was nice.

Yup, it feels like March, and we even have the wind. Currently 51 degrees, but with sustained winds of 15 mph and gusts up to 30. So, no riding. Yes, I am a wind weenie. Did see a small group of riders I know out earlier this afternoon, and a couple of solo riders. We walked to the village for lunch, and back, around 4 miles. Plan to get out there tomorrow, even for an hour on the bike. Then, we are hiking with our son and granddaughter.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks Emily....nwg, thanks and happy to read of a warmer day for you!!!!

Being gone for a few days I want to be lazy and just be with alex today. We did ride to the farmers market this morning for veggie’s, fruits and cheese. Now a blood orange, tangerine, fresh burrata, spinach and arugula salad with toasted olive bread and a marathon of netflix’s black mirror with alex ftw
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Yup, it feels like March, and we even have the wind. Currently 51 degrees, but with sustained winds of 15 mph and gusts up to 30. So, no riding. Yes, I am a wind weenie. Did see a small group of riders I know out earlier this afternoon, and a couple of solo riders. We walked to the village for lunch, and back, around 4 miles. Plan to get out there tomorrow, even for an hour on the bike. Then, we are hiking with our son and granddaughter.
    We had wind like that on Thursday and Friday -- sustained were between 15-20 and gusts to 30. Crazily, we rode, but it was only fun when we had a tailwind, about 25% of the rides, and brutal hard most of the time. On both rides I had much lower than usual average speeds, no surprise! I guess a small benefit of riding in such wind is that today, when the winds were "only" in the 10 mph range (with gusts to maybe 15), I had a much faster average speed and felt so much stronger on the same route. What doesn't kill ya', right?
    Emily

Well, after all my best and most courageous efforts to keep riding in the snow, no matter what, I have to throw in the towel and admit defeat - at least, temporarily. Our midweek thaw melted snow on my trails, then froze back to glare ice at various spots in the trail. Slickest ice I've ever seen. Even the studded fat bike tires at their lowest psi dumped me, twice, this morning. No warning. Just instantly down. No injuries, though, thanks to falling in the snow and thanks to going deliberately slow, but when studded fat bike tires can't stay upright, time to head indoors on the trainer. Love my snow biking, but not enough to risk a serious injury.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 01-28-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Smart, NWG. So glad you weren't hurt, but glad you are smart enough not to risk injury on that ice. Spring WILL come, even in the north woods!

In the meantime, hope the inside trainer rides aren't too unbearable. Hang in there!
    Emily

Thanks, Emily. I really do hate riding, indoors, but I hate getting injured, worse and you know better than most of us how rough that can be. Did I mention that you're an inspiration to me in that regard? You really are. You get my vote for the tough cookie award.

Onwards to spring ... some day.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 01-28-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    You get my vote for the tough cookie award.
    i want two votes....one for each of you .....and it's not a defeat, it's wisdom

beautiful day here...middle 70's made for a nice ride to the office for a couple of hours of work

Good choice, NWG. I take a pragmatic attitude toward activity at this time of year. As long as I am doing something, it's good. This mindset helps me to dive back into riding full time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks, Emily. I really do hate riding, indoors, but I hate getting injured, worse and you know better than most of us how rough that can be. Did I mention that you're an inspiration to me in that regard? You really are. You get my vote for the tough cookie award.
    Well, thank you! I am inspired by you as well. I could never ride in the conditions you face for most of the year. You are fierce!

And rebeccaC, you get a huge warrior vote from me as well. You have been through far more than I have, and your spirit remains so strong (as well as your body...those are some major climbs you do!)

This is one of the reasons I love TE -- inspiring women!
    Emily

Well, after all my best and most courageous efforts to keep riding in the snow, no matter what, I have to throw in the towel and admit defeat - at least, temporarily. Our midweek thaw melted snow on my trails, then froze back to glare ice at various spots in the trail. Slickest ice I've ever seen. Even the studded fat bike tires at their lowest psi dumped me, twice, this morning. No warning. Just instantly down. No injuries, though, thanks to falling in the snow and thanks to going deliberately slow, but when studded fat bike tires can't stay upright, time to head indoors on the trainer. Love my snow biking, but not enough to risk a serious injury.
    Glare ice ... pretty impossible! Glad they were soft landings!! I rolled my eyes at our radio guy saying we might have a "few, light flurries." Sorry, dude, they're *sticking* -- that's at least "heavy flurries" Still, it was enough below freezing on the lightly traveled roads so it hadn't slicked up... I just got my Transport back from the shop w/ hydraulic brakes on the back and stopping is much much much much better than before w/ worn-out brake pads and crud in the cables

Thanks, all. The landings were in the snow because our snow depth is so tall (thigh high, now) on both sides of the narrow trails I've cleared, there's nowhere else to fall. Now, had I been riding out on the road, it would have been bad. Bouncing off pavement is not fun. Been there, done that one.

Yes, rebecca, you get my vote for tough cookie, too. Make it a double.

Might grab the XC skis and try out on the lake, today. Pretty safe skiing on the wide expanse of flats. I'll be outdoors and that sure beats sitting on the trainer, indoors. Have I mentioned how much I HATE being trapped indoors all day?

Hello all. Catching up again. Those photos really are beautiful, Rebecca.

Last week I had planned to do some indoor training. That did not happen, due to working very late several nights. On Saturday I got out and enjoyed the 60-degree sunshine with a 35-mile club ride. We had some wind gusts but (a) they were from the south, much better than from the north this time of year!, and (b) the wind was not constant for our afternoon ride, whereas friends who rode in the morning reported steady winds during their entire rides. So we really had great conditions and were happy to be wearing vests and arm warmers in January.

My legs were not happy, though. I've only been off the bike for a month, but it felt more like a year. From the very first hill I felt a total lack of strength. I had ridden the same route back in October and I swear the hills somehow have grown since then. But everyone I rode with had been taking a winter break from the bike, so we all just enjoyed being outside instead of trying to hammer.

We had a rest stop at a park where a group of scouts were camping for the weekend. Apparently they do this every year, including years when we have lots of snow. Chapeau to them! They were planning an "Iron Chef" competition for dinner.

After the ride my legs were aching as I drove around running errands. Too much lactic acid. I usually only feel that way after long, challenging rides. So this was my inspiration to get more exercise while I wait for spring weather. I'm going to increase the leg exercises when I do weight training and will have to shift into a higher gear on the indoor rides.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles