Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Small Krampus Frameset

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just putting a feeler out there. I'm rebuilding my size small Surly Krampus into a Medium Karate Monkey when the backordered frameset comes in next month. I'll need to find a new home for the Krampus. It's in great condition. No chips. A little frame rub from brake cables in a couple of spots. Metallic emerald green 'Moonlit Swamp' color. Sizing is funky on a mountainbike. Very low standover. But mountainbikes use incredibly short stems compared to road bikes. The sizing chart put me on a small, but I needed a medium. One thing, my inseam was so long I couldn't really raise the seatpost high enough. Even with a Thompson 410 mm seatpost, and a tall Brooks B-68 Imperial saddle.

I think this is a great bike for women. Handles well. Stable. Fun. And my build was quite light. I had it built with regular width 29er wheels and tires. But it is actually a 29+ or midfat bike. You can use tires up to 3 inches wide. This is also a great bike for a 12 year old who is still growing. (unless they are exceptionally tall or short. An average sized 12 year old is iffy).

It takes quick release wheels. I'm having mine rebuilt for the Karate Monkey and its thru axels. But if you want links to well priced wheels for this bike, I can direct you. They run about $220.00 for a set of Velocity Blunt 35 mm wheels. Those are wide, and can supposedly support up to 3 inch tires, but I had 2.4 " Maxxis Ardents on the bike.

Anyway. I had it built from a frameset, so I can help with the correct size of everything it needs if you want to rebuild.

Make an offer. Wouldn't mind keeping it in the family. If no one buys it here, will probably sell on PinkBike or the Surly and Salsa trader group I belong to on Facebook.

Here is the bike. And I'll post a picture of my actual bike when I get a chance.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/legacy/k.../krampus_green
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Sold this in 3 days on a Surly Trader group. (Thanks for adding me Sky King!).

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Good for you, Sheila. Can't wait for a report on your new Krampus build.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Good for you, Sheila. Can't wait for a report on your new Krampus build.
    I've only ridden it twice on an asphalt 'trail.' Trying to get the saddle straightened out. Oh well. My initial report is that I like the lower bottom bracket because I always dismount to the right, and that knee was reconstructed and the drop to the ground was so far that I always worried I'd dislocate it. This bike feels more secure. Also, the bike is longer, and more stable. (So it fits, ha!). Otherwise it feels identical to the Krampus. I can life the front wheel up as I ride the exact same amount I could on the Krampus. (Not a lot, but I can do it). I can't wait to puty 27+ wheels on it when I have the money. I kept the regular 29er set I used on my Krampus with rebuilt hubs to keep it cheaper. I like the thru axel with the 'dingle' speed. Seems like a better setup.

Battswebb

Surly Karate Monkey!!!

Yahooo
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I like the thru axles, too, on wide tire bikes. I do think it's a stronger and safer way to go on the heavier wheels. Really doesn't take much longer to remove a wheel, anyway. Besides, back in the day, we use to call quick-release wheels, quick-steal wheels.