Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

I got a new "car"

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I've been bike commuting for awhile, and with life getting so busy/stressful it's kind of become the thing that has kept me sane.

The problem has become that my work has moved MUCH further - from sub 5 km to 20+ one way which means a much different commuting situation than before. I made it work with a road bike through the summer, which was awesome. But come winter I realized that, especially since I'm going to have to seek 'alternative routes' from the out of town highways that I would take to my new workplace, I needed the equivalent of a super all-terrain. And not taking 1.5 hours to get there would be nice.

Enter the most expensive vehicle in my fleet, who shall be called Monster:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 6.58.35 PM.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	18325

So far, 57km and it's the absolute best!!

Showed up to work without too much fuss, got home (headwind, uphill, hungry, backpack, etc) feeling pleasantly worked, not falling-over exhausted. I think Monster and I are going to get along great By my math, 10,000km and I've made up the cost of the bike by not driving my car. I'll call it even at 20,000km. Beyond that, savings for me!!

What kind of bike is that?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    What kind of bike is that?
    Electric assist fat bike

Quote Originally Posted by pinkychique View Post
    By my math, 10,000km and I've made up the cost of the bike by not driving my car. I'll call it even at 20,000km. Beyond that, savings for me!!
    Good for you pinkychique!!!! Hoping you inspire others in your area to think about it. Sustainable transportation ftw!!! Which make/model of e-fatbike?

As battery tech and pedal-assist evolves hopefully more people will make the choice of getting more exercise than sitting in a car seat and have a more environment friendly, healthy and financially rewarding commute, especially in temperate winter climates with a reasonable bicycle infrastructure like where I live.

Would luv to read some winter e-fatbike commute stories!!!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Fat bike! Love it.

I ride fatties all year long, now. Back in my career days, I commuted in Chicago with a bike as my only means of transportation, even in the winter. That was just before fat bikes hit the market, so my winter bike was standard 26x2 MTB with studded tires. It was also at a time when the electric stuff was in it's initial development and experimental stage. I am retired, now, but if sill commuting, I'd be all over that electric assist fat bike, no matter what the cost.

Brutal weather day, today, after a skiff of snow, very high winds and dropping temps, last night. Rode, anyway, of course, to keep the streak alive, but only just enough to clear all the trails of downed branches (lots of them), then headed back inside to a nice hot latte'. Single digits, overnight, tonight and more high winds, tomorrow. May just take that latte' with me in a thermos.

I wish that were sort of the case here except we have brutal 30MPH sustained and 50MPH gust all this week. As soon as the garbage truck came to pick up the garbage, I was out there to haul back in the empty plastic bins back into the garage. OMG. 50gallon plastic bin/tote/"can" is blowing around the street. I'll trade your single digit and snow with out wind. I'm really tired of my bedroom shaking all day long. Was that a 4.0 earthquake or just strong gust??

I've wanted a fat bike but no two wheeler for me any more so would have to settle for a trike. I guess that would be grand too if I can get it fitted out with electric.

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    I've wanted a fat bike but no two wheeler for me any more so would have to settle for a trike. I guess that would be grand too if I can get it fitted out with electric.
    One of our neighbors here at the RV park in Florida has a Catrike with e-assist, as does his wife. He is actually a dealer of same in Ohio -- his place sells both the trikes and outfits them with e-assist for those who want it. I got a chance to ride his wife's up and down the road here in the park, and BOY, can that thing zoom! I am not ready for e-assist or a trike quite yet but can certainly see that that day may come eventually.

Here is his website if you want to check it out: http://www.lisbonrailtotrail.com/
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

That's such an awesome idea Do you really go off-road? How long does it take you? My11 km commute takes me 40 (very fun) minutes...

Back in my Chicago commuting days, when a bicycle was my sole means of transportation, I considered adding an E bike for those days when I needed a little extra boost and help to pedal - after a long, miserable day at work or, especially, when fighting off a cold or some other physical issue. Going bike, only, sounds all romantic and adventurous, but, believe me, when you're not up to your physical or mental best, it's can be daunting. E bikes were relatively new at the time, though, so never did get one. If I decided to go bike, only, again, though, I'd have no hesitation to use one for commuting, as needed. Very practical. Good for you. Smart move.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 01-20-2018 at 07:25 AM.