Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congrats on the mileage, everyone. I am still hoping to get one more ride in, it may be tomorrow afternoon. I will still go to my class at the gym, half spin, half conditioning, but then I have my office holiday party at lunch time. I normally wouldn't be there on Wednesdays, so after lunch, it will be around 40 and I may go for a ride, if it's not too windy. It was 49 today, but of course, I was working.
    I'm just happy I got to x country ski Sunday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Ooops, missed that Sue. 6000 miles is one heck of a year. Congrats.

Good ride, today, but mostly on paved neighborhood roads. Temp was warm enough to break up some of the snow pack and traction was very good. Not much for miles, only 7, but riding snow is different, plus added in 3 miles on my trails.

Our forecast high temp for Christmas is zero. Note self: time to setup the indoor trainer.

Catching up.

Best of luck with the IVF, Rebecca!

Congrats Sue! And hats off to you, NWG, for getting outside for activity every day.

Happy Chanukah to Crankin and anyone else who celebrates! (I hope I spelled that right!)

I personally love seeing pics from and reading about winter rides in areas that are still warm.

I managed to get out and ride last night. We've had warm-ish weather for a few days, but I wasn't able to do any cycling over the weekend for a couple of reasons. I've had a cold which caused lots of coughing. We also had a tiny bit of snow that fell during rush hour on Friday, so all the roads in the area were heavily salted, and road salt is a minor asthma trigger for me. And on top of everything else I had lots of shopping and other things to do to get ready for Christmas. So conditions were not good for bike rides. But yesterday things were better. It was the warmest day of the bunch, topping out near 60, and the forecast was for temps to stay in the low 50s until late at night. My cough has finally subsided, and most of the road salt has dissipated.

Even at 50 degrees it was still chilly when I started around 8:45 pm, but I warmed up quickly. In fact it was so nice that I extended things a bit. I did notice more of a chill as I got near the Potomac River, and again near the end it was a bit colder. But overall I was comfortable. It was nice to see all the holiday lights that people have put up. At the end of the ride my Garmin showed that I'd ridden just under 20 miles, so I did a few laps around the parking lot to make it an even 20. Normally I do some 20ish mile night rides over the summer and shorter rides this time of year, but this year has not been normal at all.

So now I'm done for the year, as I'm heading out of town soon for the holidays and won't be back until late on Jan 1.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

What a relief to see everyone, again. I couldn't pull the site up for several days, now. Kept getting a "couldn't connect with the server message". Anyone else have this problem?

Anyway, yes, crazy me, I'm still riding every day and we're now into some serious cold as in below zero for a high temp. Minus 23, last night, for a low. Won't even try to explain why anyone would be riding in such weather, but just as an interesting thing to share, when riding in sub zero cold, some things kick in that are unique to that kind of cold.

The most noticeable thing when riding on the hard pack snow or even clean pavement in sub zero cold is the increased rolling resistance with the tires. On a local road, for instance, my usual top speed rolling down the hill in warm weather or even moderate cold weather is about 18 mph with the fat bike. In sub zero cold, same snow conditions and road, same bike, same tire pressure, my max speed on this hill drops to about 13 mph. That's a huge decrease! With that added rolling resistance, even riding a short 5 miles on the road becomes a serious workout. I lose at least two, maybe three, gears to maintain my usual pace. On the trail, bike handling also changes.

The one good thing about this kind of cold, though, is that the snow hardens up nice, allowing me to ride in snow that is too deep when it is warmer. Can also ride out on the lake, now.

If all goes well, will finish the month with only two days missed on the riding. One of those days, was spent shoveling snow on my trails and one of those days was a glorious day in fresh snow with the XC skis. Just couldn't pull off the skis and go bike riding.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. Please think of me when you're riding in more sane weather. Send some my way.

The only riding I have been doing is spin class. I go to one that's only 30 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of core/body work. It's on Wednesdays and Fridays, so when I can't do an outdoor activity, I go to this. Done a few hour long spin classes in the past month. Will look at my Garmin on Friday, to see my total miles, and at this point, it's fine. I am thoroughly enjoying xcountry skiing and snow shoeing/hiking in the winter and looking forward to renewed motivation and maybe a century this year.
    Glad the forum is back.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Glad to have our forum back!

I've been keeping up the regular rides here in generally warm, usually sunny Florida! The past two mornings have required tights and wool jerseys over a regular jersey, but mid-way I am able to peel off the outer layers. Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler and cloudy, so that's our laundry and errand day. Looks like I'll end up just crossing over 3700 miles for the year when all is said and done. No complaints about that! Next week looks like a chilly and possibly rainy (which we really need; it's been so dry) start to the new year, so I may be taking a riding break for awhile. Glad there's a gym here in our RV park, and we can always bundle up and take walks even when we don't feel like riding.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've done only baby short rides under 12 km. Vancouver has had some snow, ice and now it's cold with rain at 2 degrees C which is not pleasant for cycling. I'd rather cycle -10 to -15 degrees C with dry pavement.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

From some of our daily rides in the Mendocino area. It was colder than I’m use to, low 50’s, but getting into more comfortable low 60’s by the afternoons. Such an incredibly beautiful area with good riding roads, little traffic and interesting views on our rides.

on the walkway going to the Mendocino art centre's fiber art instructional area...and for the teachers here!!!..and for deena wherever she is.....

the view from our bedroom deck.....i couldn't ask for more. Ellie has 8 acre's of this beauty....Alex is trying hard to get her thinking of selling us 1 to build on.....i hope she succeeds

Thanks ny!!!....i’m hopeful about bringing another person that’s part of Alex into this world!!!!!!!!!!!

a wonderful new year of rides for all..............
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 12-27-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Love your photography, rebecca - as always. Very much appreciated by this north woods gal, all the more this time of year. Thank-you.

Whoo Hoo! May get above zero (F), today! Regular heat wave. Ride, cowgirl, ride.

I actually didn't x country ski today, as the wind chill was about -20... of course, the wind has stopped, but I am going to be nordic skiing all weekend, so instead, I went to spin. So boring, and who the hell does weights while sitting on a bike? The worst was when the instructor had everyone use a lot of resistance to climb, and told everyone to move their whole body, so they could turn the pedals. Everyone, except myself and one of my regulars who comes on my rides... so nice to see this. She's a lovely woman, even older than me. I complimented her in the locker room and she told me she listens to people like me, and not the bad advice from people like that instructor.
    Oh well, I sweat and got some movement in.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Lost my record, yesterday. Was shoveling off the trail and next thing I knew it was too dark to ride the trail, safely (get's dark very early, up here). Not to mention I was totally pooped out from all that shoveling, anyway. Oh, well. Kind of nutty to think I have to ride each and every day in this weather. Some real cold headed our way by the ned of the week, with single digit and sub zero stuff.

On a brighter note, we have Common Redpolls at the feeder! They're strictly a northern bird that wanders a lot in the winter. Some winters, don't see a one. Other winters, see them a lot.

Not a great pic, but shows what the Common Redpoll looks like for you folks that live south of us.
    Redpoll birds are incredibly hardy: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nter-1.4465936

"They can survive up to 20 hours without access to food, even if temperatures drop to -54 C," Keating said.
    Redpolls have specially designed esophageal pouches that allow them to hold on to seeds, then later slowly digest them to provide them with energy to maintain their core at a balmy 40 C — "kinda like throwing logs on a fireplace."
    "Their internal temperature can be 73 degrees warmer than the surrounding air, with the two extremes being separated by less than a half a centimetre layer of feathers."
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

For sure, very hard birds. Have to be, to hang around in the winter, up here.

Speaking of birds, have had a Northern Shrike hanging around our neighborhood the last couple of weeks, running a route of all the local bird feeders. Another very interesting bird, basically a song bird turned predator. When the Shrike is around, the birds at the feeder react the same way as when a hawk is around, namely, all activity ceases and the birds wait until the Shrike is gone before moving.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 12-29-2017 at 08:56 AM.

I need 8 more miles to hit 3700 for the year. We'd planned to ride today, but it was (in the morning and still is in the afternoon) in the low 50s with a brisk north breeze, full cloud cover, and mist in the air, so we bailed. We took a 6 mile walk instead, in many layers. Warmed up as we went and enjoyed it. The weekend looks a little nicer, still chillier than normal for central Florida, but sunny, at least. I normally avoid the bike paths on weekends because of all the kids and tourists, so I may just do a short road ride to get my miles. Next week looks cold pretty much every day, so not sure how much riding I'll get done the first week of the new year.

Yes, I do realize that my idea of "cold" is a bit skewed.
    Emily

Emily, I'm in awe of that mileage for the year, considering what you've overcome. Even without that, I'd be tickled to get that many miles in for the year. My riding has changed to mostly trail riding, now, so doubt I'll ever see those kinds of miles, again. Well, never say never, of course. Who ever knows what tomorrow may bring?

Our snow is now hard as a rock given our steady sub zero temps, so that's actually a good thing for my fat bike riding. I can ride faster. Not so great for the XC skiing, though. Means I will definitely need to rewax the skis and I've been to busy with the biking to get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Emily, I'm in awe of that mileage for the year, considering what you've overcome. Even without that, I'd be tickled to get that many miles in for the year. My riding has changed to mostly trail riding, now, so doubt I'll ever see those kinds of miles, again. Well, never say never, of course. Who ever knows what tomorrow may bring?
    Awww, thanks, NWG. Really, though, I did have a bit of an advantage since we were in Florida for much of the year. I missed out on riding from late April through early August due to my injuries, and that is probably equivalent to what I used to miss during the winter in NC. I'd get out from time to time, but overall, the winter season was too cold for my blood!

It was chilly today so I deferred riding until tomorrow, which isn't due to be a lot warmer, but the sun will be out, and I am determined to get that 8 miles in; if not more.
    Emily