Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Riding in the Holiday Season: December Rides!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Guess I'm first to start this month's thread. Rabbit rabbit!

This has been a good week of riding for me. For the first time in a loooooong time, I managed to ride five out of the last seven days. Woo-hoo! Today's ride was probably the best of the week, as I had less lower back pain (residual from my pelvic fracture accident way back in '05) than usual, and the day was absolutely gorgeous! Been riding 34-35 miles each time, and the weather has been perfect; sunshine, a bit of breeze, 60s to 72ish at the start and mid-upper 70s at the end. Perfect conditions in my book and so nice to wear short sleeves and shorts at this time of year. Feeling pretty fortunate right about now!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Monkey Monkey!!

Sounds lovely Emily. Are you still in the South East?
    Yes, we've been in the Orlando area since August (when it was killer hot, but I was glad to get back on the bike!) while I get my orthodontia. We'll be here through the spring and possibly next summer (ugh), depending on when I can get my braces off. Hoping for earlier rather than later! Right now is a lovely time of year here, though!
    Emily

That is a cool name, Sheila. Too bad I missed you in Atlanta by a week.
    It's going to be sunny and 45 today, but our friends want to hike . They will be arriving around 11, so I guess if I was really motivated, I could go out and ride now, but it's still really cold.
    Looks like we might get some snow next Saturday. Not a big storm, but enough to mess up the roads.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Sounds like dreamy weather, Emily, all the more so for being December, now. (Can it really be December, already?) Just thinking about it will help keep warm on my winter riding.

Sheila, that was so very much my pleasure to get it on the bike selection process with you. Works both ways, too. I learned a lot about the Jones bike and am now more convinced than ever in the need to try one before I buy. The geometry is different. Yup, the Salsa is always a safe bet. Love my Pugs and Krampus. I'm sure there will be others in the future.

We've been remarkably dry this past week and after nearly a month of rain, drizzle, fog and snow, that's fine by me. Sunshine and 40, today, so not hard to guess where I'll be.

By the way, the birds are mobbing the bird feeder. Took less than a day after putting them out for the birds to find the goodies. Love it. Can't feed them other times of the year because of the bears in the area, but it makes for a great winter fun activity for us.

Emily I am jealous of your weather.

Am watching the forecast here -- I think I might be able to get out and ride Tuesday night after work instead of Wednesday, which currently looks to be the day the cold arrives, along with some rain which of course makes the fallen leaves slippery. But in the meantime, tomorrow looks good so I'll be leading a club ride.

Once the cold arrives I think I will have to ride indoors at night. While in NY over Thanksgiving week I visited an old mansion that was decorated for the holidays, and in the gift shop I found a reprint of an old book on "fancy cycling." It looks like it might be good reading for indoor pedaling.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...y-cycling-1901

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Sheila, love that dingle speed setup and that whole minimalist idea. Not sure how much I would use such a bike, but knowing me, I'll bet I'd find a way.

The problem with MTBs and geometry and fit is complicated because there are so many techniques and styles of riding in the MTB world, not to mention different bikes, now, for specific types of trail riding. Was nowhere near as complicated in the early MTB days. Can get very confusing and frustrating, for sure. Just no substitute for a test ride. You did well to try a Jones, first. Cheap, they are not.

Have had a great start to the month with 8 miles of trail work, yesterday and 9 miles, today. I pushed it a bit because, after tomorrow's rain and wind and maybe some snow, our temps drop down into the teens for a high the rest of the week. Hoping we don't get too much snow so that I can get more riding done with the 29+ bikes or my faster fatties, but it's just a matter of time before I have to put them away for the winter, anyway, and go with the studded fat monsters.

Sheila, I'd have to take a vacation to meet up with you guys, but next year at this time, my son will at Ft. Bragg, and he will be there for awhile (years). So, I will be getting down south at least once, maybe more, a year. Columbus, GA was nicer than I thought it would be, but I clearly see why mom son is renting in the historical district and not living on base, and he's within walking distance to a really nice downtown and riverwalk. However, the rest of the city looked not so nice. When we drove in from the airport in Atlanta, we stopped about 2 miles outside of the downtown. A greasy looking young guy in a t shirt with a huge picture of the president and all kinds of nasty stuff walked by, and I got seriously panicked. I just don't see that where I live. A few signs here and there, but after a few other things i noticed when we stopped off the highway for lunch, I was scared.
    No cycling this weekend, and I am not happy. Yesterday we did a nice 3.7 mile hike with our friends and today, nothing, except walk a few city blocks to and from the garage to the play we saw. Lots of eating, too.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I rode yesterday, as planned. A 39-mile club ride with views of the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The sky and water were both a pale blue. The water looks different every time I visit the bay, sometimes dark blue or brown when it's windy but rarely is it so pale. Very pretty. Also it was high tide. There is one point where the road is very close to the water and most of the rocks along the shore there were under water, which I don't often see.

There were four of us in all. Temps were in the mid-50s, and we all agreed that it felt a little cool sometimes and a little warm at other times, depending on the amount of shade and how close we were to the water (where it's noticeably cooler). But overall we were never really uncomfortable. I rode without a cap or ear warmers and took off my windproof full-finger gloves because I was too warm with them. The roads were still wet in one area due to early morning rain but nothing dangerous or slippery. Toward the end we rode on the shoulder of a couple of busy roads and there was lots of broken glass so I need to check my tires carefully before I ride again.

Afterwards I went shopping at a large shopping center that is north of where we rode. I took the scenic route driving there, using roads that used to be nice for cycling but now tend to have more traffic than I'm comfortable with.

I suspect that will be our last good day for cycling for a while. The "arctic blast" that is on the way doesn't seem like it will be too cold despite all the freaking out by the TV forecasters, but they are saying we might get snow from "a coastal system" this weekend. It's really too soon to tell at this point, but it's possible. Before that, it now looks like the last warmish evening when I can ride after work (tomorrow) will be rainy. So I'm preparing for some stationary cycling at the gym. It's so hot at the gym -- would it look weird if I brought a small electric fan? Even if it looks weird I think I will...
    Last edited by ny biker; 12-04-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Gone but not forgotten:

Rode forty minutes on the stationary recumbent bike at the gym last night. Not exciting but better than nothing.

I thought the weather would be okay for a short ride on Saturday but now they're saying we'll get snow. Just an inch or two, but that's still not anything I to ride my bike in. And the roads are already being treated with that sticky brine solution to keep them from freezing. Some of the paved trails here will be pre-treated, too. Then it will get colder, too cold for a night ride (for me, at least).

Hoping to get in one more ride outside before heading out of town for the holidays. In the meantime, I'm finishing my Christmas shopping.

Gone but not forgotten:

I should have ridden yesterday. I had a day of cancellations, so I didn't go to work until 11:30. I went out for a 3 mile walk and it was cold, but really nice. Oh well. We are getting that snow, tomorrow afternoon, 3-6 inches predicted. Not enough to nordic ski, maybe a snowshoe? I think it will all melt, though. It's supposed to be brutally old next week. I do not think I'll be riding for the club Chanukah party, next Wednesday. In fact, it may be snowing/raining, so I am not sure if even the hike will be a go.
    Been going to the gym a lot and hiking, and trying to make myself feel ok, because I am exercising, just have not been riding a lot. I'd like to also, like NY, get one more ride in, before the New Year. It looks like after next week, it may warm a bit. I think i may have to let it go, so I can have a good attitude in March!
    And now, those fires in SoCal have reached San Diego. I need to check in on my brother.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hope your brother is safe from the fires, Crankin. It is just awful, from watching the news. I simply can't imagine.

I rode Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (34-35 miles each time on our usual bike path route) and took yesterday off to do laundry and work out in the gym. It was chilly and misty out so a good day to skip riding. Today is cloudy but supposed to get warmer with gusty winds starting this afternoon, so we will ride. Weekend and going forward is going to be quite chilly for central Florida with lows in the 40s/50s and highs in the 50s/60s. I know most of you would be thrilled with those conditions, but they are not our cup of tea!
    Emily

Been riding, every day on my trails, with an average of 7 to 8 miles of laps at a time. Will easily break 50 miles for the week.

Winter riding, for sure, but decent as far as winter snow biking goes. Temps in the teens, but no wind the past couple of days and that makes it bearable. After several light dustings of snow, I'm now riding on about 2 inches of snow. That's perfect for fat bike work. Kind of has me in the holiday spirit, in fact. There I am, riding in the snow, more falling as I ride and Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" is playing in my head.

Hoping the snow stays light for awhile, so that our lake ice gets good and solid, first (snow acts as an insulator). Looking forward to getting some easy miles by riding on the lake, soon.

'Tis the season to be riding ...
    Last edited by north woods gal; 12-08-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Hi everyone
    Been riding to work almost every day- missed a couple days last week because I was fighting off a little cold and had my annual evaluation. I got back in the saddle for the coldest morning since last February- commuted in temps down to 31 degrees.

Weekend rides are shorter than during the weeks before El Tour de Tucson.

Saturday was a fun ride- we rode with a big group in fun outfits and with decorated bikes, to donate toys at a fire station in one of the lower income neighborhoods of Tucson. Nice camaraderie, and 4 tables of toys were donated. The fire station offered some very nice refreshments and lot of appreciation.

This morning's commute was in the mid-50's- 25 degrees warmer than Friday. Tomorrow will depend on what the clouds do tonight. Might be low 40's when I leave, might be mid-50's....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Pretty sure I will not be getting in any road rides before the end of the year. Unless there's a warm up between the holidays and the roads get a little clearer, I am done. It's going to be frigid for the next few days, so I'll be going to spin, in addition to boot camp. Haven't looked at my mileage, but I know it's really, really low. Right now, I am thinking about x country skiing and motivation for next season!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I also might be done for the year. I only have one more weekend here before I leave town for the holidays. The weather might cooperate on Sunday, but that's still too far off to trust any forecasts. In the meantime the roads are covered with salt and more salt is being put down as they expect minor snow to fall later this week. All that salt is an asthma trigger for me. And just to top things off, I have some sort of cold/cough. Not the usual cold with the progression from sore throat to head congestion and sneezing then maybe a cough -- this one started with a cough along with some minor head congestion.

I also expect my total mileage for the year to be low. I would like to think next year will be better but then again maybe I will need surgery on my ankle, since the torn tendon doesn't hurt a lot but it's not pain-free either.

Gone but not forgotten: