Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: November Rides

November Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

To start the month, I forced myself out the door at 9:40 AM, 36 degrees. All thoughts of 20+ miles gone from my mind, I did 12 miles, under increasingly gray skies, but no wind.
    I really tried not to overdress, which worked until I had to climb a hill about half a mile long. I had on a light thermal jersey and a sleeveless base layer, so I thought it might be a smidge too cool for just a regular wind jacket. I knew my Assos winter jacket was too warm, so I settled on a Gore jacket that I bought from someone on TE, years ago. It is also a super warm jacket, but, it has pit zips! The sleeves also come off, too. Hands, feet, and legs were fine, but my thermal cap was too much. Should have worn a regular head cover. I felt fine until the hill, and then the sweating commenced. I could unzip the jacket and jersey, which helped, but for me, the quickest way to cool off is on my head. But it was too cool for no head cover, so I suffered. Was not going to take the sleeves off the jacket, for such a short ride. The pit zips were open the whole ride.
    About 2 miles from home I saw my friend, Lamar, who I lead rides with, going to work in his car. He moved in with his girlfriend about a year ago, so I never think of him as living near me, as he used to live in the city.
    Glad I went, but I do have to get the cool weather dressing better. The temperature is going to moderate overnight, so I may go out at 5 AM, as it's supposed to be 50. Might rain during the night, so the roads will need to be semi-dry, as there are leaves everywhere.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Welllll...after not being on the bike for various reasons since my June 10th challenge, I hopped on my bike on the trainer. Said it would start in November and did. It was fun, but hard after being out of real "gym" time for so long. So I'm back into training. It will be tough getting to where I was when I stopped but will make it.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Welcome back Helene!

I was going to ride tonight but it there was a chance of light rain which is a no-go for me when temps are in the 50s or even lower. Okay honestly I avoid riding in rain all the time, but definitely when it's cold. And tomorrow should be a tad less cold anyway.

I also feel like I don't know what to wear now and will probably overdress again. I am still not doing as much walking as usual due to the torn ankle tendon, and therefore am not spending as much time outside at night like I usually do. And it's messing me up, not allowing me to remember which layers work and which are too much or too little.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I did ride this morning, after watching the hourly forecast like a hawk last night. DH came with me, for a change. I did better with the dressing, erring on the side of being cool, but not cold. It was supposed to be 53, but, it was 49. Humid, though, so it feels warmer. All I wore was a regular long sleeved jersey, with my rain jacket over it. It's a bit heavier than my wind jacket, and there was a chance it would rain. I had a light head cover on, my ears were covered, light long fingered gloves and knickers, which are almost tights on me! I had on wool socks and toe covers, as I thought it would be weird to wear my winter shoes with knickers. My hands felt cool, as did my butt; I could have used the fleece of light weight tights, but, by the end of the ride I was a bit clammy from a climb/sweat, so I just need to remind myself to dress with less layers than I think I need.
    DH pushed the pace for me on an early am ride, and I yelled at him several times. We went very slowly up the climb, though, and after that, it's downhill slightly or flat home. 10.6 miles, which for 5 AM is fine.
    Probably will not ride to the office tomorrow, as we are leaving for Maine right when I get home at noon. We have a ride planned for Portland on Saturday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yes, welcome back, Helene.

Yeah, girls, its that time of year on the how to dress thing (woke up to two inches of wet, slushy snow on the ground this morning, but it's melting). Have found that the cool/cold weather how to dress issue is trickier for road work than trail work, since I'm out in the open on the roads and exposed to the wind, more and, of course, speeds are higher out on the road. For road work, my usual formula of feeling a bit cool for the first couple of miles usually works.

Don't know about anyone else, but I have some spots where I am especially sensitive when I ride in the cold (as in below freezing and way down from there). My face is one. I always take along a face mask or a scarf, since these are easy to stash if I don't need them. My hands and feet, of course, but if they overheat, no big deal, and that's rare, anyway. Usually they're not warm enough. I also find that my chest area above my breasts is especially cold sensitive when I ride. I find that a good vest works for this. Less likely to over-heat than if putting on another full layer and a vest is easy to put on top of other layers. Wish someone would invent a heated bra, though.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 11-02-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Not having to worry about winter dressing down here in Florida, since we've warmed up again after the two cold fronts. Today was short-sleeved jersey and shorts, and after about 15 minutes of slightly chilly into-the-wind, slight downhill at the beginning of today's ride, I warmed up and was just right for the rest of it.

A bit sore, though, due to two weeks off the bike while traveling, a fairly fast-paced 33 miles on Tuesday, and a home yoga-lates workout yesterday, plus lots of walking. My legs were pretty dead today, and I averaged .8 mph slower than Tuesday. Managed 35 miles, but it was not very pretty!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

It was 60 degrees when I went to the gym at 5:15 am... I didn't ride there, though. She really kicked our butts today and I feel kind of "off."
    Of course, since we are going away this weekend. Will be doing a ride by the ocean tomorrow, in Portland, Maine. Probably be in the 40s.
    This weather roller coaster is driving me nuts.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah, I thought last night would be slightly less cold than the night before, but not very different since the warm days lately have still had cool nights in between. But yesterday was really warm, well into the 70s with more humidity, and last night was great. It was in the low 60s the whole time. I rode 18 miles, was dressed just right. Did the standard of lightweight wool long sleeves under a short sleeved jersey since that combo is a good base for me. For the first few miles I had a vest all zipped up and arm warmers, but once I got warmed up I unzipped the vest and rolled the arm warmers down to my forearms. I also wore unlined tights. But regular gloves, no ear warmers or cap or anything covering my shoes. I wouldn't complain if it stayed like this for a while. But it won't -- the wind is now from the east i.e., the ocean, so clouds have rolled in and tomorrow will be 20 degrees colder and gray with spotty showers.

In addition to the good weather, last night's ride was quiet and uneventful. Except for my knee. The right leg was hurting again above the knee on the inside. I tried to focus on good form, keeping my knee over my foot, but it still got gradually worse as the ride went on.

So now, what to do about it? My saddle did feel too low or maybe too far forward. But it hasn't changed since a few weeks ago when things felt okay. My Speedplay X cleats are old and very worn. Could that cause problems?

I already have a new set of cleats. My plan has been to get new shoes rather than put the new cleats on the current shoes. In part this is because my shoes are also pretty worn out, but mostly because I switched to new insoles with a higher arch earlier this year (which were needed to address the ankle problems) and there really isn't enough room in the shoes for them -- I can barely fasten the velcro straps. So I want to look for something with a larger toe box, or maybe just go up a half size, to get more room for the arch support.

I also want to schedule a bike fit appointment, but will start by looking for shoes this weekend. In addition to having him look at the saddle position, I will need his help putting new cleats on new shoes, since I need them to be at a weird angle for my right foot (related to the ankle surgery I had years ago).

Gone but not forgotten:

Three inches wet snow on our elevated deck, overnight, but about 2" down on the warmer ground. Soooo ... fat bike heaven!

Ran several of the fat bikes to test their various tires, but with a thin snow like this, any tire does great. Won't be till things get deeper and ice up that tire selection and tire psi gets more important. Anyway, first snow of the yer and the riding was great. This thin snow barely slowed the fat bikes at all. Could do all the same climbs and turns, same as when the trail is dry, though still have to be wary of getting a bit careless on the turns.

When you come to a fork in the trail ... take it.

My best pal, Star, along for the fun, as always.

We got to Portland yesterday around 2 and proceeded to commence with the eating and drinking of my birthday weekend. Mashtun for beer and cheese, some walking, and some rest before dinner at a great small plates restaurant.
    We did a 21.6 mile ride out to and around Cape Elizabeth and the lighthouses around 11:15. I was dressed mostly right, just seem to be sweating a lot. I changed from my fleece gloves to my light weight long fingered ones at the half way point. I pushed my head cover up over my ears, which helped, but felt cool. It was 50 with bright sun and little wind until we got to the lighthouses. The return was nearer the water, so more wind.
    I freaked out on the beginning of the ride, riding through the city. It wasn’t the drivers or traffic, but having to stop at lights, on small hills.
    I just suck at this and I am not sure why, as my legs are not weak! Now, it’s in my head. The return did not have any of this and riding over the Casco Bay Bridge both ways was fun. The ride had 1000 ft of climbing, lots of rollers, and it was harder than I had thought.
    We got back at 1, changed and then had lunch and 2 mikes of walking.
    On to cocktails and dinner.
    Last edited by Crankin; 11-04-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Happy birthday, Crankin! :-)

I know how you feel about stopping on hills at lights -- I have the same worries. Although I rarely have to do this lately, whenever I do, I feel like such a cycling novice, which I'm not even close to, and neither are you, of course. I think it's more about the novelty of that particular situation and not wanting to make a fool of myself in front of others!

Enjoy the eating and drinking and riding and everything else for your special day.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Yes, Happy BD,Crankin. Have a good rest after that ride. I know the feeling about starting on a hill. It's really bad on our steep trail sections with the MTBs/fat bikes and adding snow or ice makes it almost impossible in the winter. Usually you can't stand on the pedals to start with snow because that takes much needed weight and therefore traction. Rear tire just spins until you sit down. I'm very careful where I stop in the winter. Can even be tricky on the flats with snow on the trail. Snow changes a lot of things.

Speaking of snow (again, sorry), my snow is already melting. Wah! Back to riding dirt. Oh, well, it's only the beginning of our snow season and I actually managed to do my year's best of just over 20 miles of trail riding, today, what with playing with all the bikes, all day long and having so much fun in the new snow. Extra workout with pedaling though the snow, too. All my summer riding paid off.

Our early snow is gone, already, thanks to temps never getting down to freezing, overnight and some rain. Not talking about a heat wave, here. Temps still holding in the 30s and no sunshine, either.

Took advantage of the snow-free trails to ride the Surly Krampus 29er+ while I can. Almost collided with a big 6 point buck deer. Whew! We usually only see bucks during the rut and the rut is in full progress. See does, every day, but rarely bucks. Beautiful animal.

No riding today. We skipped the crappy hotel breakfast and went to a lovely French café for brunch. Nice and simple, real French omelet. It was cloudy and slightly warmer this morning, after a very chilly evening, when we walked back from my birthday dinner. That was spectacular, in a restaurant that is in a rennovateed church. Portland has more cool restaurants every time I go there and the people are friendly. We drove home after brunch, so we could relax and read the paper, shop and do laundry at a leisurely pace. I have been having a usual sinus/aches, GI thing on and off for a couple of weeks. I got through the weekend, though and now I feel better. Now DH is saying he is feeling off, too.
    Our weather roller coaster continues. Tomorrow is going to be 70, rain, and then increasingly descending temperatures. Next Saturday is our rescheduled 42 mile ride on the south coast of MA/RI. The predicted high is 38-40 . Now, I have the proper gear for these temps, but I wonder if any of the participants do. We have 6-7 people signed up. My friend, Lamar is doing the registration for this ride, so it's up to him to call it. We already cancelled due to rain in October, so I am sure he will want to ride. DH and I are fine with it, but I am not going to drive 75 miles if only 3 people show up!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Be careful NWG! And happy birthday to Crankin. I've modified my weekly night ride several times to eliminate stop signs on hills, especially at intersections with main roads. There are enough things to pay attention to in those situations in order to remain safe, without having to worry about clipping in and out.

Speaking of clipping in and out, I bought new shoes today. They're a different brand (Shimano) which I'm told tends to have a wider toe box than the Bontragers that I'm replacing. But I think I also got them a size larger than the old ones. They might actually be men's shoes; I need to look at the box. They are "last year's style" so I got them at half price. I'm not thrilled with the color -- black -- because my super pale legs look ridiculous in shorts and dark shoes, and black will be hotter in the summer. But then again they won't look filthy like the old white shoes, so pros and cons. Anyway. Now I need to make a fit appointment to get the new cleats put on them, and to discuss the knee pain I've been having in case the old worn cleats were not causing it.

Gone but not forgotten: