Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: November Rides

Hybrid View

November Rides

To start the month, I forced myself out the door at 9:40 AM, 36 degrees. All thoughts of 20+ miles gone from my mind, I did 12 miles, under increasingly gray skies, but no wind.
    I really tried not to overdress, which worked until I had to climb a hill about half a mile long. I had on a light thermal jersey and a sleeveless base layer, so I thought it might be a smidge too cool for just a regular wind jacket. I knew my Assos winter jacket was too warm, so I settled on a Gore jacket that I bought from someone on TE, years ago. It is also a super warm jacket, but, it has pit zips! The sleeves also come off, too. Hands, feet, and legs were fine, but my thermal cap was too much. Should have worn a regular head cover. I felt fine until the hill, and then the sweating commenced. I could unzip the jacket and jersey, which helped, but for me, the quickest way to cool off is on my head. But it was too cool for no head cover, so I suffered. Was not going to take the sleeves off the jacket, for such a short ride. The pit zips were open the whole ride.
    About 2 miles from home I saw my friend, Lamar, who I lead rides with, going to work in his car. He moved in with his girlfriend about a year ago, so I never think of him as living near me, as he used to live in the city.
    Glad I went, but I do have to get the cool weather dressing better. The temperature is going to moderate overnight, so I may go out at 5 AM, as it's supposed to be 50. Might rain during the night, so the roads will need to be semi-dry, as there are leaves everywhere.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Welllll...after not being on the bike for various reasons since my June 10th challenge, I hopped on my bike on the trainer. Said it would start in November and did. It was fun, but hard after being out of real "gym" time for so long. So I'm back into training. It will be tough getting to where I was when I stopped but will make it.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Welcome back Helene!

I was going to ride tonight but it there was a chance of light rain which is a no-go for me when temps are in the 50s or even lower. Okay honestly I avoid riding in rain all the time, but definitely when it's cold. And tomorrow should be a tad less cold anyway.

I also feel like I don't know what to wear now and will probably overdress again. I am still not doing as much walking as usual due to the torn ankle tendon, and therefore am not spending as much time outside at night like I usually do. And it's messing me up, not allowing me to remember which layers work and which are too much or too little.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I did ride this morning, after watching the hourly forecast like a hawk last night. DH came with me, for a change. I did better with the dressing, erring on the side of being cool, but not cold. It was supposed to be 53, but, it was 49. Humid, though, so it feels warmer. All I wore was a regular long sleeved jersey, with my rain jacket over it. It's a bit heavier than my wind jacket, and there was a chance it would rain. I had a light head cover on, my ears were covered, light long fingered gloves and knickers, which are almost tights on me! I had on wool socks and toe covers, as I thought it would be weird to wear my winter shoes with knickers. My hands felt cool, as did my butt; I could have used the fleece of light weight tights, but, by the end of the ride I was a bit clammy from a climb/sweat, so I just need to remind myself to dress with less layers than I think I need.
    DH pushed the pace for me on an early am ride, and I yelled at him several times. We went very slowly up the climb, though, and after that, it's downhill slightly or flat home. 10.6 miles, which for 5 AM is fine.
    Probably will not ride to the office tomorrow, as we are leaving for Maine right when I get home at noon. We have a ride planned for Portland on Saturday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Yes, welcome back, Helene.

Yeah, girls, its that time of year on the how to dress thing (woke up to two inches of wet, slushy snow on the ground this morning, but it's melting). Have found that the cool/cold weather how to dress issue is trickier for road work than trail work, since I'm out in the open on the roads and exposed to the wind, more and, of course, speeds are higher out on the road. For road work, my usual formula of feeling a bit cool for the first couple of miles usually works.

Don't know about anyone else, but I have some spots where I am especially sensitive when I ride in the cold (as in below freezing and way down from there). My face is one. I always take along a face mask or a scarf, since these are easy to stash if I don't need them. My hands and feet, of course, but if they overheat, no big deal, and that's rare, anyway. Usually they're not warm enough. I also find that my chest area above my breasts is especially cold sensitive when I ride. I find that a good vest works for this. Less likely to over-heat than if putting on another full layer and a vest is easy to put on top of other layers. Wish someone would invent a heated bra, though.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 11-02-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Not having to worry about winter dressing down here in Florida, since we've warmed up again after the two cold fronts. Today was short-sleeved jersey and shorts, and after about 15 minutes of slightly chilly into-the-wind, slight downhill at the beginning of today's ride, I warmed up and was just right for the rest of it.

A bit sore, though, due to two weeks off the bike while traveling, a fairly fast-paced 33 miles on Tuesday, and a home yoga-lates workout yesterday, plus lots of walking. My legs were pretty dead today, and I averaged .8 mph slower than Tuesday. Managed 35 miles, but it was not very pretty!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow