Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: November Rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congrats, Emily. Now get out and go celebrate!

Did 8 miles of laps on our trails, today. Still some ice in places, some slick areas of frozen ground and, of course, some snowy patches. The safe bet would have been a fat bike, but I was in the mood for something easier rolling, so took a chance and rode the Krampus, instead. The 29x3 Krampus is setup with Surly Knard tires which are anything but aggressive snow or dirt tires. Figured I'd be pushing it and I was right. Good test, though, of what the plus format could do and good practice for me on how to safely ride under challenging conditions. Had one section, couple hundred yards long, that was frozen hard slush. Pretty dicey with the skinny tires, but I managed. Some rear tire fishtailing and rear tire swinging out on tight turns, too, so had to really concentrate on keeping it all in the vertical. Overall, though, very pleased. No crashes. Says a lot for the plus format. I now have a better idea what it can do in a pinch. Such a sweet ride, too. Love the Krampus.

More sleet/snow, tonight, so back to the fatties, tomorrow.

Today we are having an early Thanksgiving dinner with my son and family who lives here, so we got out for a short ride around 11. It was about 38, partly cloudy, with no wind. It's going to rain overnight and be quite windy tomorrow, so despite it being close to 60 as predicted, I think I will go to spin early AM.
    We did 16 miles over to the other side of town, avoiding shoppers and tourists as much as we could. I've got the right combo of clothing down for the temperature it was today, which I think would be good down to 30. I did use my heated gloves for the first time this year; I have regular ones that would be OK for this temp., but they feel tight and it's hard to shift. I think they may be smalls, as I bought them before I realized I actually have very long fingers and hence, need a medium sized woman's glove. I also did not use a balaclava as DH did, and it was smart. I'd rather have a cold face for a bit, because once I heat up, that cool feeling is key to keeping me from sweating to death.
    It's going to be warmer on Tuesday AM, so I may go out for an early AM ride then, too, before we head to FT Benning to have Thanksgiving with my other son.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Just commuting and my normal urban riding since the tour de pink, which was physically and emotionally a very satisfying three days of riding. We visited friends in Palm Springs this past weekend and rode to Joshua Tree N.P., riding into the southern entrance and riding to the northern entrance where are friends met us to drive back. Felt good to get a long ride in again after three weeks of being content with spending weekends doing other things, plus JT is one of my favorite places to ride!! Perfect day of weather, riding and being together.

‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Absolutely gorgeous pics, Rebecca! SO clear.

I'm glad to hear that the Tour de Pink was such a positive experience for you!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

OMG, Wow! (as usual) on the pics, rebecca. Just seeing them makes me feel warmer and I can sure use some of that, today. 30 mph north winds and highs only in the low 20s.

No snow on the trails, today, but what we did have, earlier, melted then froze into long sections of very slick ice. Trails are about 40% dirt and 60% ice, now. Even the fat bikes with standard snow tires were slipping out on the steep climbs and some fishtailing on the turns. Spooky stuff. Had to head back to the house and get one of the fats setup with studded tires. That did the trick, bit still had to be very careful. Little odd to need studded tires when no snow on either side of the trails, but when I need them, I need them. In the good old pre-fat bike days, I'd have been out of business.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 11-21-2017 at 02:49 PM.

That's a commute?!

I want to go there.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

@ Sheila….

Thanks Emily, now the tdp is one of my top favorite ‘needed to do’s’! ...and with more to be ridden! The way you’ve integrated bicycling into your lifestyle always makes me smile and the 3000 miles is another reason I just 'ed

…..thinking no training plan means a shift to casual urban riding combined with more work/travel time for me for awhile…..well, this is a good time of year for riding in the desert so at least another one.

you’re making me want to sit in a comfy chair with a book and a fire nwg.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Took a spill, yesterday, on the trail, thanks to a patch of weird ice on a turn. Rear tire on the fat bike flew out from under me, so landed on my back and got a sore left shoulder blade area for my troubles. My head skidded a bit on the frozen ground, but the helmet took that out of the injury equation. All in all, pretty minor spill as spills go and I do expect it, now and then, for my kind of riding. Goes with the territory.

Could have been avoided, though. Our snow cover is mostly gone, even on our trails, so rather than grab one of the fat bikes with studded tires and have to give up speed and handling that goes with those rigs, decided, instead, to go with a faster Norco fat bike with ordinary snow/dirt tires, no studs. The problem is that the thawing/freezing cycles we've been having is creating glare ice out out of the wet mud sections. Yep, just when I thought I'd seen it all, we now have not only black ice, but now we have black ice mud to deal with. Yup, looks just like ordinary frozen mud, but it is slick as snot from all the riding I've done on it.

The good news is that I went back to the house and exchanged that Norco with another Norco fat bike with studded tires and kept on riding. That took care of the problem and could turn and climb even on the black ice mud sections. Honestly, my trails, right now, are not safe to ride without studs. Crazy to think I would need studded tires to ride on what appears to be just an ordinary section of frozen dirt trails, but there you go. Who knew?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    Last edited by north woods gal; 11-23-2017 at 08:58 AM.

You, too, Northwoods. No riding for me today. I am in Columbus, GA, visiting my son. We did take a 2-3 mile walk and took our granddaughter to the park.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

So glad the tdp was a good experience for you, Rebecca.

I've been in NY since early Saturday morning. I did get a ride in after work last Wednesday night. I was overdressed again. The two previous nights I was cold when I left work, and I dressed for that only to find it was warmer and more humid than expected. Nonetheless it was a good ride. The new shoes and pedals seem okay, for short rides at least.

I drove up to NY after work on Friday (after working until 10 pm). My siblings from the west coast are here, celebrating my mother's birthday in addition to the holiday. We saw a show on Broadway (Beautiful, the Carole King musical), have gone out to dinner several times, and are having a big birthday dinner on Saturday. Lots of food, zero exercise. In all I will be here for 10 days, covering two weekends.

I'm hoping for good riding weather when I get back, for short rides at least.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Nice thaw, yesterday, with temps up into the 50s. Whoo hoo! Of course, the trails turned a little muddy.

Before

On sponge bath, 5 minutes, later

Back to below freezing for a high, today, so should be able to keep things a bit cleaner.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 11-25-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Hi everyone.... been riding almost every day in November but just haven't been posting. I've been commuting 4-5 days a week and was riding some long rides to prep for El Tour de Tucson last weekend. I rode the whole 106 miles, raised money for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). There was a pretty steep minimum commitment ($750 for a "day rider"). But boy did they take care of us. Three dinners at a posh hotel/resort. My husband and I paid for a one night stay. They transported the bikes and set them up near the start, then drove us to and from the start/finish. Great aid stations which were only for JDRF riders. And really, we got a much better understanding of how tough it is to live with Type 1 diabetes, and how the money raised by the JDRF rides has helped bring new advances that are helping people right now. We were glad to be part of it- I joined the ride in support of a co-worker's son who was diagnosed 2 years at age 5. Tough stuff- he's a little hero though!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I've done a couple short rides this week, chasing a Couch's Kingbird which was way out of range in Arizona, and then today did a 40 mile ride to look for a Least Grebe, also way out of range. I saw the kingbird on Thursday on the third try- the grebe was easy- just a longer ride and a half mile walk to the pond.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Nice to see posting, again, AZ. Way cool on the Couch's. That would be a life bird for me.

Very cool about the birds, az!

Finally got out for a ride today after too many days off due to weather, Thanksgiving, other chores. We normally don't ride on the weekends as the bike paths are full of other people, but it was too pretty not to go today. Sure enough, lots of cyclists plus a few runners and walkers, but very few kids on tiny bikes, which was a good thing.

34.2 miles
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow