Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Job Hunting..

Job Hunting..

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am job hunting and have been for almost 6 years (yikes). I've been living off of savings and with my parents since I lost my last job. I'm in my mid 30s and it's so discouraging. I've been searching, putting in applications, etc but not getting call backs. I know the fact that I don't drive, doesn't help my situation either. I do not get SSDI (even though whenever I have applied for it, I've been told I should've been getting it since I was a toddler), even though I've tried and tried numerous times since I was 21. I was a premie and because of ROP stage V (the highest stage) I am completely blind in my left eye because my retina is torn all the way through. So, that's why I don't drive and even though SSDI people have told me that I should've been getting since a toddler, the verdict always tells me I'm not "blind enough" :/ Yet, I know people that aren't as blind as me (ie they can see with glasses, etc) (I do have glasses but it's for protection of my left eye and because I do need them for my right eye) that get SSDI and other forms of government assistance because of their blindness, so it's never made since to me. So, sorry, I'm getting off topic..

If looking for a job (I've put my application in on job sites), if wanting to change locations to see if possibilities are better somewhere else, is it better to do that after you go to the location/find somewhere to live or through the online job boards? For example, if looking in NYC (I'm not) would it be better to get my application out there now or wait until I get there and have a place to live then search?

Does your state have a division of vocational rehab? This is where people with disabilities (whether physical or mental health) go for help with employment issues. They have counselors and assessment services focused on jobs. Perhaps you can find an advocacy agency for the blind or low vision, and access help there.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Several decades ago I lived in Chicago and wanted to relocate to NYC. So this experience is not recent, but fwiw, I found it difficult to find a new job in the city where I was not living. It is more complicated for employers because they want new hires to be available right away and usually do not want to have to worry about the possibility of paying relocation expenses. It is also harder because you have to travel for interviews; this might be less of an issue now with things like Skype, but if other candidates are able to interview in person, you might have to be able to do the same.

Moving to a new city prior to having a job there is not easy, either. In order to rent an apartment, you need to be able to show a steady source of sufficient income.

So I don't mean to sound discouraging, but moving to find a new job is not easy. I think the resources cited by Crankin and Muirenn could be a better bet for you. Good luck!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    ... I found it difficult to find a new job in the city where I was not living. It is more complicated for employers because they want new hires to be available right away and usually do not want to have to worry about the possibility of paying relocation expenses. It is also harder because you have to travel for interviews; this might be less of an issue now with things like Skype, but if other candidates are able to interview in person, you might have to be able to do the same.

Moving to a new city prior to having a job there is not easy, either. In order to rent an apartment, you need to be able to show a steady source of sufficient income.

So I don't mean to sound discouraging, but moving to find a new job is not easy. I think the resources cited by Crankin and Muirenn could be a better bet for you. Good luck!!
    Before moving to Washington State I was looking for a job here while living in CA. HR generalists may toss your resume if they know, or feel that you are not there. I made sure there is an address in WA on my resume, got a Washington phone number (with a pre paid phone), removed any reference to California (not easy to do when I'd worked and lived there all my life) ... It was comical because many of my applications were in.the.company.I.worked.for so they know dang well where I work and live.

Even if HR knows or figures it out they want you to be able to start when they want you to start. I think it came up on one interview somehow. And I said "I'm essentially moved. All my bikes are here"
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/