Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

October rides...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I kicked off the new month with a 39 mile ride yesterday (Sunday). There is a state park in Charles County, MD which is home to a community art center. We visit the park often during rides and use the area near the art center as a rest stop on our annual club century. They had a reception yesterday for a new show of works highlighting scenes within the county, and a few bike club members had contributed paintings. Two club members planned a short ride to the art center reception where they planned to present a donation (part of the proceeds of our most recent century) as well as a painting of the center done by one of our charter members. So, I planned a longer ride that started earlier but ended up at the art center at the time of the presentation. A couple of club members joined me, including the treasurer who was bringing the donation check. The three of us had a nice, leisurely ride with much pleasant conversation...until we realized we had lost track of time and were still 10 miles from the art center with only a half hour to get there. Fortunately the roads left to travel were flat. We turned up the pace and arrived just in time.

The art on display was mostly paintings and photographs, plus some amazing wood carvings of birds. It depicted places I'd been to as well as some I'd never heard of but looked worthy of a visit. One of the people on my ride bought two paintings.

It was a beautiful day, a bit cool in the shade but very warm in the sun. The sky and the river near the state park were beautiful shades of blue. (I really need to delete some old photos from my account on this site so I can share some of my ride photos.)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Sounds like great way to kick off the October rides thread, NY. Much as I love my rural lifestyle, I do miss what living in the big cities has to offer. My recent visit to San Diego reminded me that there is another world out there beyond our woods and that's a good thing. Thanks to you and the others, here, I do get a taste of that and I am grateful. Sure would be nice to have a coffee shop back in my trails, somewhere.

Speaking of trails, did my usual hard labor cleaning up some trail sections before the snow falls, then finishing with 10 miles worth of laps. Rain moving in, tonight, so not sure what I'll do, tomorrow. Will probably just ride, anyway, as usual.

I did a "dark ride" at 5:15 this morning. It was 41 degrees and clear and beautiful, and I was a little bit overdressed! Wore full winter gear, with the exception of my jacket, which was just my regular wind jacket. I did wear my lightest weight tights. Thinking I should have either gone with a short sleeved base layer instead of the long sleeved one, or else, a non-thermal jersey over a LS base. I felt clammy/sweaty, as my little 9 mile route was about 50% moderate climbing.
    It seems like even at 5 AM, it is no longer so peaceful out there. I do live off of a main road (albeit, a 2 lane country type/suburban one), but even a year and a half a go, when I moved to my current home, it seemed quieter. Traffic is worse, so people are leaving earlier, and Main St. is how you get to the highway to Boston. Obviously, it's not like 9 AM, but it is noticeable. The one road I went on where no one passed me in a car is a climb, so I was busy suffering... that and a short stretch through a neighborhood were quiet. If I go in another direction, it is quieter, once I get past the train station in the next town. That usually involves a bit of longer ride, but it will be worth it.
    Tomorrow is going to be 80 degrees... sigh. The group ride is starting in a place that involves horrible traffic for me to get to, so I will just ride around here, on my day off.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I did a "dark ride" at 5:15 this morning. It was 41 degrees and clear and beautiful, and I was a little bit overdressed! Wore full winter gear, with the exception of my jacket, which was just my regular wind jacket. I did wear my lightest weight tights. Thinking I should have either gone with a short sleeved base layer instead of the long sleeved one, or else, a non-thermal jersey over a LS base. I felt clammy/sweaty, as my little 9 mile route was about 50% moderate climbing.
    It seems like even at 5 AM, it is no longer so peaceful out there. I do live off of a main road (albeit, a 2 lane country type/suburban one), but even a year and a half a go, when I moved to my current home, it seemed quieter. Traffic is worse, so people are leaving earlier, and Main St. is how you get to the highway to Boston. Obviously, it's not like 9 AM, but it is noticeable. The one road I went on where no one passed me in a car is a climb, so I was busy suffering... that and a short stretch through a neighborhood were quiet. If I go in another direction, it is quieter, once I get past the train station in the next town. That usually involves a bit of longer ride, but it will be worth it.
    Tomorrow is going to be 80 degrees... sigh. The group ride is starting in a place that involves horrible traffic for me to get to, so I will just ride around here, on my day off.
    We're having ups and downs w/ temps, too. Saturday was NIPPY (about 49 in the barely-dawn a.m. when I started) ... today was back in the sixties.

Today's commute was slow and complicated -- constructoin everywhere and I didn't make any lights. Still beat the rain

Ooops, I had said I would start this thread, but I totally spaced on that!

I did 30 miles yesterday, and it was hard-fought, as we've been having significant wind. Yesterday's forecast went from 10-20 mph ENE to 15-25 mph during the time I was riding. We had head- and crosswinds heading out, and at times it was like riding through quicksand! The way back was screaming fast fun, though, as it was mostly tailwinds and nearly effortless heading south and west! Fun fun!

The only difficulty there was the last 3/4 of a mile, where we have to head back east on a highway bike lane. As the wind had built during the course of the ride, it was a tough ending to the ride!

This morning I got up with full intentions of riding until I checked Weather Underground and saw that they'd upped today's wind forecast to 20-30 mph! It was already gusting hard at 8 am, and I drew the line at riding in that. GOOD decision. DH headed out, and in addition to the wind (which bothers him less than me), he got rained on twice as brief but heavy bands came through from the Atlantic. I was so thankful I had stayed home!

Tomorrow is supposed to be the same as for winds, and it's our usual day off anyway to do laundry and run errands, so that will work out fine. I hope, hope, hope the wind will have died down some by Thursday, as I really want to ride!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I would have skipped riding too, Emily -- I hate wind, and it can be dangerous at times.

I was going to ride tonight after work, to take advantage of the relatively warm weather. But yesterday I noticed that my eye was very red, like I'd burst a blood vessel somehow, maybe sneezing? Anyway it seemed to be clearing up this morning but then looked worse again this afternoon (possibly from more sneezing -- it's still ragweed season). It doesn't hurt so I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I figured it would be better to take things easy tonight.

Gone but not forgotten:

Hope your eye is better, NY!

Today is another crazy gusty day here (sustained 21-22 mph, gusts to 30 mph). Last night I saw on the local weather that there was a high gust of 37 mph in our area. Whew! Tomorrow is supposed to be slightly less windy but much more chance of rain, even in the mid-late morning, so I may not get to ride again until Friday.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Wind is one of my least favorite things, even if I am not riding.
    So, we did have more summer like temperatures, today, but nothing like last week, thankfully. It was the kind of day that tested my ability to know how to dress for a ride. It was 57 when I left, and was predicted to go up to 65 or so for the duration of the ride. Full sun, light breezes. So, I wore knee warmers, a ss jersey with arm warmers, and a sleeveless base layer. The arm warm warmers were off at mile 4.5, but I started feeling overheated from the base layer, despite unzipping my jersey, no head cover, and regular gloves. I think it was because the jersey I wore is slightly thicker than most ss ones; not a thermal lining, but heavier fabric. I like it for fall and spring, generally.
    The sweatiness contributed to an overall crappy ride, in terms of how i felt. Legs felt dead, which makes my back stuff hurt. Not acute, just pulling. Anyway, it was gorgeous out, so I am glad I rode. At the point I took my arm warmers off, i decided to change my route, and went over to the area where my last house was, in a not direct way, as I was already on the other side of the highway that splits my town and the next town. Once I made this decision, I had one climb (shady) and a long downhill/flat return home. I've been noticing a lot about traffic patterns on these rides. Where the area near my old house gets tons of commuter traffic at rush hour, after 9 AM and before 4, it is quiet. Now, i have continuous busyness between my house and West Concord, just under 2 miles. It's flat, though. If I go in the other direction, it's busy, too, but opens up getting to quieter stuff. It is actually easier and closer for me now to head over to the town I used to live in, when I first started riding, which is noticeably quieter, than when I first moved to Concord. But, the fact is, there are just more cars. The economy is booming here, but with so many people working from home, they are out all day long!
    I rode 17 miles, then met a friend for lunch, and went for a haircut. Rest day tomorrow, and I need to rethink my rest days, with my new gym class schedule.
    Last edited by Crankin; 10-04-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It's definitely been hard to figure out how to dress for the weather lately. Usually for daytime rides in the 60s I am comfortable with a long sleeve wool base layer and a short sleeve jersey. Then I might add a vest and arm warmers which gives flexibility in terms of an extra layer. But the last couple of rides I did were too warm for the base layer, which you can't take off in public. For the ride I planned last night I was going to wear a normal-weight (not fleecy) long sleeved jersey, figuring I could add a vest if needed. But when I went outside it was much cooler than I had expected, cool enough for the wool base layer.

I really want to do more kayaking before the cold weather sets in but I think it's even harder to guess what to wear for that this time of year -- it's exercise but not as strenuous as cycling, if the sun is out it can get quite warm, but if you get wet you can be very cold and uncomfortable with temps in the 50s-60s. I'm figuring some combination of my cycling tops, jackets and tights or knickers will work, but am really not sure.

Gone but not forgotten:

On Sunday we welcomed Oct with a 63 mile ride…the first 26 miles of the first days ride of the upcoming Young Survival Coalition's Tour de Pink with a side ride into the northern Santa Monica Mountains. Some good climbs on the route and a harder climb into the SMM's. After a great descent to the Oxnard valley floor (knowing we needed to ride back up it took some of the fun away) we stopped at the CSU Channel Islands campus in Oxnard, where i do some grant work in bioinformatics with a few grad students, to take a nutrition break and stretch. A good ride and I now have a good feel for the hardest part of the first days ride. Some short rides with just moderate climbs left in my training plan and I’ll be ready for the tour. Looking forward to the hopefully full 3 days of riding and being with kindred spirits wanting to help fund services for young women going through breast cancer. The thought of doing this ride really helped in my working through my journey this year...glad it's finally almost here and i that i feel good enough to participate!!!!!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

That's great, Rebecca!

I rode about 18 miles last night. Started late again, somewhere between 9 and 9:30 pm. Finished around 11:00. I really like riding late when everyone is at home and the roads are empty except for a few dog walkers. Another ride in which I was deceived by the weather -- it seemed chilly at first so I started wearing a vest and arm warmers. Within a couple of miles I had to stop to remove them. It was in the low 60s but very humid, which made a big difference. Soon enough I will need to layers so I'm not complaining!

Emily, I think that rain you're expecting is from yet another tropical storm. And I think we might be seeing rain from it early next week. We haven't had any rain in quite a while, but I hope we don't get anything really heavy since that tends to cause flooding.
    Last edited by ny biker; 10-05-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Gone but not forgotten:

NY, I have had the same experience with humidity. It's the same thing early in the morning, when I ride. The temperature is coolish, but the humidity makes it feel warm. It's the only reason I have ever arrived at work sweaty, when commuting, too.
    We are experiencing early September like temperatures and rising humidity. I hate this. And we are getting that rain, too, on Monday and Tuesday.
    I rested today. I have my bootcamp tomorrow; debating whether to ride there as my warm up, or ride to work, or both (or neither). Riding 2.3 miles to work is starting to feel like too much prep, for such a short ride. I always feel good, but... planning some long rides this weekend.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Muggy in the Midwest, too. Okay, today it was actually raining No, those expensive LL Bean rain pants don't actually keep one dry above the knees, but I have them over my "quick dry" favorite pants (which I don't know enough about to replace - disadvantage of impulse online outlet orders...)

Now to swap out for the work pants... and to TRY TO FIND PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING. I know they're around here somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    Muggy in the Midwest, too. Okay, today it was actually raining No, those expensive LL Bean rain pants don't actually keep one dry above the knees, but I have them over my "quick dry" favorite pants (which I don't know enough about to replace - disadvantage of impulse online outlet orders...)

Now to swap out for the work pants... and to TRY TO FIND PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING. I know they're around here somewhere
    Let me know where you find the patience and understanding -- they do seem elusive.

I think there's been a fair amount of rain lately in the midwest; I haven't been paying really close attention but I see tweets from the National Weather Service office in Omaha (due to a relative living in that area) and it seems like they've been talking about rain a lot. Big contrast to our area. I had some old jugs of water that I wanted to get rid of the other day so I poured them out around my favorite tree near my home, and the ground was really hard and dry.

Again I'm not complaining since I prefer warm and humid to winter any day, and the rain will come soon enough.

Gone but not forgotten:

I rode to the gym. Nice way to warm up, plus I made sure I did all of my stretches before the class started, so no pain in my back.
    The class today was so hard. I stand near a side door to the outside, which was partially opened, to let the 55 degree air in. Several class members were so overwrought, they stepped outside for a minute! I still think it's funny that these people who are fitter than me and younger, think riding my bike 1.3 miles there is some amazing thing. Anyway, it was definitely a degree or 2 cooler on the way home, which felt good, but I was kind of in a cold sweat. Thankfully, I had worn lightweight full fingered gloves.
    In the past week, I've had lots of sneezing. Then the last 2 days I had a weird headache, on and off and Wednesday, I woke up with my nose hurting, like sinus pain in my nose. Used the saline rinse, but then after I showered, I just felt awful. First I thought I had really overdone it at the gym, but as the day went on, I realized I am just not feeling well. I felt freezing all day at work, achy, sinuses a bit off. I got home at 3, then went with DH to the store and now am getting ready to go out for dinner. I really don't feel like going out, but I don't feel like cooking, either.
    Weather looks wonky for the weekend. Now tomorrow looks to be the better day for riding. Sunday, maybe ok in the early morning. I have Monday off for the holiday, and of course, 100% chance of rain.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura