Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

We did cancel the ride we were going to lead on the south coast of MA and RI. Going to try again in November.
    So the forecast here was for occasional showers/rain, starting at 1. We left at 10:30, hoping to do 20-30 miles or so, and do a long ride tomorrow. At mile 5 it started raining. mostly a heavy mist, but it was getting uncomfortable, plus we both were dressed too warmly. It would have been OK for the temperature, but it was like 80% humidity. So, we turned in a direction to head home and then it stopped. We had more options, so we did not go straight home. Ended up at 12 measly miles. Fast, though, and I feel like I got a good work out. Just so sweaty.
    After lunch, we went to an Oktoberfest in the next town. We went to the brew pub across the street from the little fair and had cider., brewed right in Boxborough, where I used to live. Of course, by then, it was sunny, drier, and 74. No rain in sight.
    Hoping to do that ride we set out to do a few weeks ago and ended up doing something else. I found the correct route, by searching DH's rides by date.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Okay I've been away for a few days. Or a week maybe? Not sure. I rode after work last Tuesday night, a week ago. Another uneventful ride, and I think it was warm-ish and humid but can't really remember.

On Thursday I danced for over two hours at the Foo Fighters concert in DC. Thought it was the best concert ever. Then on Saturday I danced for 3 and a quarter hours at the Foo Fighters concert in Richmond. It was beyond awesome. They were adding songs to the set list on the fly. And they did some old songs that were totally unexpected. So much fun.

On Sunday afternoon I rode 35 miles. It was supposed to be a 39-mile ride that I was leading for the bike club, but no one else showed up. And it turns out that dancing for 3:15 the night before kinda wore my legs out. So I took a few short cuts to cut out some hills, added a few miles in a flat area but still ended up with fewer miles than planned. Which was fine. It was another humid day, cloudy at first then the sun came out. It was actually comfortable as long as I was moving. It was 80 degrees when I finished.

And just like that, the Augtober weather is gone. We're under a frost warning tonight. It's expected to warm up again in a few days but I think the humidity it gone until next year.

p.s. Rebecca, they ended both shows with Everlong.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

You did a really good deed! I cannot imagine riding on an interstate highway in any of the 4 states I've lived in. Perhaps I am a wimp.
    Like, you Sheila, I have not been doing a lot of miles, but I have been riding. I've accepted that this will be my lowest mileage year in about 13 years. That said, we are starting a string of gorgeous weather, and since today is a day I don't work and the group ride started way far from where I live, I rode with my friend Jack. I thought we were going to do a ride we did last time, but, no, we did our usual Friday ride we lead. As soon as I started, I knew my back would be acting up; not the thing that had me flat 10 days ago, just my usual SI/disc issues. It is gorgeous out and I was dressed correctly. I was fine on the climb up Strawberry Hill, perhaps because I could do it sleeping, but after that, I knew more climbing would just make me feel worse. After a longer not so steep climb, we stopped, Jack took off some gear and I rested. Then, we proceeded to the street with the 15-18% grade in one spot. It's not too long, but after an initial steep uphill, it flattens before a longer steep uphill. I told Jack I'd see him at the turn/top. I never lost sight of him, but I did see 5.0 mph on my GPS. Anyway, after another half mile climb, where he sprinted and I spun, we had a long downhill and then through a residential country road in terrrible condition. At the end of this I told him I was heading back to the start, and he didn't need to come. But, he did. The end of this ride has never thrilled me, through a business park, a community college, and the VA hospital and services campus. So, we got back on the flat road and ended up doing 24.5 miles instead of 31. I felt badly, since I asked him and then I wimp out, but I needed to stop. He slows for me, even when I am at my best, but not so much I feel badly!
    Anyway, if I wake up feeling good tomorrow, I will go for a flat, dark ride at 5 AM. Going down the Cape to stay with friends this weekend, may or may not ride there. So another nice weekend, without long rides.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

That was a very nice thing to do for those folks, Sheila. The way we bicyclists look out for each other is one of the things I love about our community. That tricky route where things fluctuate between good and bad sections sounds very much like what I experienced in the Chicago suburbs. All of the 'burbs are connected, of course, but they all varied a lot in how bike friendly their streets were. Just commuting to work required a mile plus of a road that I would never ride by choice, but it was the only way to get there.

As for grades, come for a visit. Have a surplus of ups and downs on my homemade trail system. Some of the steep ones require me to stand up and pedal to crest them, even with the lowest gear on the MTBs. They're what I call my leg burners. Going down is a real kamikaze thrill, for sure.

I ride a minimum of one hour a day, usually closer to two, seven days a week. Not a lot of miles, but they're trail miles, so no way for me to convert them to road miles. Enough to keep me in shape and fun, too, so that's what counts. For sure, no worries about getting hit by a car. A deer or bear, maybe, but not a car.

Our weather has been unusually warm all fall and continues to be so. Beautiful to be out riding in the woods in nice weather with all the leaves falling. Really spoiling me, because I know how drastically things will change any week, now. Will be getting the fat bikes ready, now. One thing I did on one of the Norco fat bikes that made a tremendous difference in performance was having my bike shop set up the wheels tubeless. Those fat bike inner tubes weigh about a pound, each. Not only does the bike handle, better with no tubes, but I'll be able to drop the pressure as low as I want, this winter, without having to worry about a pinch flat. Going to see about going tubeless on some of the other bikes, now.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 10-18-2017 at 04:51 PM.

I did do my dark ride this morning.
    I should have rested.
    But, at 41 degrees, I was dressed correctly, with winter shoes and fleece beanie/gloves, but not too hot for once. Too bad my back was not happy. I have deduced it's from the hike I did Sunday. Well, it will be gone eventually.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I rode 17 miles last night. Got a very late start, around 9:40 pm. I was talking to someone at work for a while and then had to sign and fax a bunch of documents to refinance my mortgage before leaving the office. But the more I ride late in the evening the more convinced I am that it's safer because there are so few cars on the road. Of course it helps that the neighborhoods I ride through have low crime rates and the ride start/finish is next to a court house and police station so I expect there are security cameras there. I always look around when I get back to my car just to make sure there's no one around other than the occasional police officer in a patrol car.

It seemed cold when I started even though the temperature was in the 60s. I think the real issue was that it's been so warm and humid lately that there hasn't been a chance to gradually adjust to dropping temps. So I overdressed a bit. Long-sleeved lightweight wool under a short-sleeved jersey and arm warmers, with a Gore windstopper jacket on top. Plus full-fingered unlined gloves, midweight fleece tights, neoprene booties and my wool cap. After a few miles I stopped to take the cap off, unzip the jersey and lower the zipper on the jacket a couple of inches. I could have taken off the arm warmers too but it didn't seem worth the effort. I was on the line between overdressed and comfortable for the rest of the ride, but didn't really work up a sweat.

I think this might have been my first time wearing the midweight tights. I bought them at REI last spring, on sale. They are the REI brand. Good reflective stripes down the sides of both legs and around the left calf. Comfy yoga waistband, perhaps a bit too comfy as I noticed when I got home that tights were drooping and the waistband had slipped down a couple of inches. But so many other tights seem to have a too-tight elastic waistband, I'm willing to put up with one that needs to be hiked up from time to time.

Several of my friends will be down in Staunton, VA this weekend for a fall foliage ride. However I steadfastly refuse to accept that summer is over, and have planned a ride on Saturday with views of the Chesapeake Bay.

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I hope they have a nice trip.
    ….and you were a wonderful contributing element in helping them having a good trip with your caring thoughtfulness and friendliness. I wish more people would understand that being nice to others is not only a good way to live but also helps the mood of the giver too!

We are a week away from the 3 day tour de pink and we are tapering our training this next week to this weekends long easy rides in the Santa Ynez valley on some of our favorite roads and staying at one of our favorite hotel/spa’s. There is a lot of emotional content in doing this ride for me and I am really thankful to have the strength of body and mind to do however much of it as I can. I also feel blessed that two of the women who I became good friends with in the support community here are doing the ride with Alex and I too. I'm a true believer that being a cyclist can be a positive force in our lives and in this family we are part of.........
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I led a 47-mile club ride today on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The weather was perfect, sunshine, no wind, 70s. We rode a leisurely pace, 12-13 mph, and had a very nice ride.

Good luck at the tour de pink, Rebecca. I'm so glad you're able to take part in it.

Gone but not forgotten:

Well, I knew it couldn't last. We've had unusually warm fall weather with an unusual number of sunny days (not typical for us). All gone, for now. Cold and rainy, today, and the rest of the week and, yup, some snow mixed with the rain in the forecast, later in the week. Oh, it won't stop me from riding and I've been getting the fat bikes setup for snow riding and breaking out the winter riding gear, but I'm spoiled, all the same. Since our weather seems to work it's way to you folks in the east, take advantage of any warm weather you have, now.

On a more positive note, have added some nice boulders and rocks to climb on my trails. Funny how the things I avoided when I was just starting to put in my trails are now things I'm adding.

Tried a dropper seat post for the first time on one of the fat bikes. Can't say it's essential for my downhills, but I can see how it helps. Allows me to get way low when doing my fast downhill runs. At this point, haven't decided whether to keep it or go with a lighter, standard seat post, because these are heavy setups. We'll see.

I was down the Cape from Friday afternoon to around noon today. We stayed with friends who have moved there full time. The weekend included a strenuous hike, walking in sand and lots of other walking.
    When we got home it was 74 degrees out, so despite having shopping to do, we went out for a little 13.5 mile ride, to loosen our legs from the hike. It was much faster than it needed to be, but good. Obviously, with such warm weather, tons of riders out.
    We have the rain moving in Tuesday night, through Thursday, so probably not any riding until next Friday.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We're only forecasted for rain tomorrow (Tuesday) here, actually might be mostly overnight tonight and early in the morning. Colder weather expected by Wednesday, and windy. Actually the temps will be closer to normal and technically not cold, but it will definitely be time for more layers, especially in the dark.

I wasn't able to do any hiking or anything strenuous on my trips to Cape Cod, mostly because I was with my parents who don't do that sort of thing anymore. The closest I got to a bicycle was a visit to the historic train station in Chatham which is next to the rail trail there. Which was fine, but someday I will have to go back to experience the things I missed.

Gone but not forgotten:

My friends live in Orleans; I am not quite as familiar with the lower Cape and am still amazed that after 64 summers (first one at age 9 months), there are still places on the Cape I have not been to. Of course, we don't go regularly anymore, and my family was most certainly not hiking in the 50s and 60s! But, I did a fair share of riding there, as a kid, mostly in our cottage compound. In fact, it's where I learned to ride, at age 9.5. Yes, that's how uncoordinated I was.
    The hike we did was in Wellfleet, on Great Island. It started on a trail, and then we were on the beach for at least 2.5 miles. The trail reappeared and we had respite for awhile, with hard pack and a climb, but then we were back on a sandy trail. This killed my hips and back. We were at the height of high tide, so near the end, the path was narrow, with a water crossing at one point.
    Glad I went, but also this reinforced my feeling that I would never, ever want to live there. All older people, not normal.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    My friends live in Orleans; I am not quite as familiar with the lower Cape and am still amazed that after 64 summers (first one at age 9 months), there are still places on the Cape I have not been to. Of course, we don't go regularly anymore, and my family was most certainly not hiking in the 50s and 60s! But, I did a fair share of riding there, as a kid, mostly in our cottage compound. In fact, it's where I learned to ride, at age 9.5. Yes, that's how uncoordinated I was.
    The hike we did was in Wellfleet, on Great Island. It started on a trail, and then we were on the beach for at least 2.5 miles. The trail reappeared and we had respite for awhile, with hard pack and a climb, but then we were back on a sandy trail. This killed my hips and back. We were at the height of high tide, so near the end, the path was narrow, with a water crossing at one point.
    Glad I went, but also this reinforced my feeling that I would never, ever want to live there. All older people, not normal.
    I went to a baseball game in Orleans -- it's a nice park for a ballgame, but there seemed to be a cold wind from every direction thanks to its location near the elbow. It was actually the farthest out (down Cape?) that I've been. The main thing I noticed about the people was that many had faces that looked like they'd spent a lot of time in the wind, from sailing I assumed. Last summer (2016) we took a boat ride on the Canal and saw cyclists fighting headwinds on the trail there. I wondered if it was always windy or if things settled down as the summer warmed up.

I think I am heading out to ride tonight after work. Today was our last warm day, possibly for months. They're saying it will be in the 30s and 40s by tomorrow morning. I think we'll still get some comfortable daytime weather in the next few weeks but with the sun getting lower in the sky and fewer hours of daylight we are rapidly heading toward needing Amfib tights and thick fleece booties.

Gone but not forgotten:

The wind has commenced, branches everywhere when I got home. Torrential rain and wind tomorrow. Maybe OK by Thursday afternoon.
    NY, you were at the Cape in late spring/early summer? It's always windier and colder there than where I live. Once, I went on a field trip where it was 50 degrees and windy in Sandwich, in May. When we got back to school, it was 85 degrees, all within 90 miles. However, it is always windy there, more so in the spring. I rode on that path by the canal in September about 7-8 years ago and it was fine.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yes we were there in June. Needed blankets at a couple of the baseball games, especially Hyannis. In DC a south wind usually means warmth, but up there it just means cold ocean air.

It was breezy here yesterday but by sunset it was calm. I did go out to ride after work. It was cool enough to fool me at the start, though, and I headed out wearing tights, booties, full-finger gloves and a windstopper jacket. I quickly warmed up and took off the gloves. Later I took off the jacket. I had originally thought that a vest and arm warmers would be enough, changed my mind at the last minute, and ended up regretting that I hadn't gone with my original plan. Anyway I was reasonably comfortable without the jacket, though a bit chilled going downhill.

The real problem was my right leg. Several times in the past month or so I've had pain just above the knee on the inside during bike rides. The first few times it happened I was able to control it by trying to focus on proper knee position over my foot. But last night it seemed like everything I did made it worse. The question is, what is the cause? It seems to happen when my legs are tired (which they were last night, due to strength training the night before). But this year I think my saddle position is slightly different, after putting a new saddle on my bike. And recently my right shoe has felt weird, like the cleat is too close to my toes, even though when I look at both shoes the cleats are even and in the right place. Of course the right foot is the one connected to the torn ankle tendon, and I've developed a habit of holding my toe up to keep from straining that tendon. And just for kicks, the cleats are old and looking worn around the edges; they clip in and out okay as long as I keep them clean, but maybe they need to be replaced. So who knows what is really causing this problem.

Gone but not forgotten: