Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Rain or snow for basically the next week for us. How much rain versus how much snow is a guess, given the temps will be right at that borderline for snow. Have been getting ready for winter snow riding, anyway, so I'm ready. Put the skinny tire bikes in the shed for the winter and dusted off the Norco (a Canadian bike company) Bigfoot with it's big 26x4.8" 45NTH studded Dillinger tires. It sits in the shed during the warm months as I ride my other fat bikes, but the warm months are gone, now. Ride my other fat bikes in the snow, too, but this one gets the call when things turn icy. Also what I ride out on our lake when it ices, over. Yeah, fat biking in the snow and ice is a whole different world, but, remember, fat bikes are what I mainly ride on trails in the summer, too.

Last edited by north woods gal; 10-26-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Rain or snow for basically the next week for us. How much rain versus how much snow is a guess, given the temps will be right at that borderline for snow. Have been getting ready for winter snow riding, anyway, so I'm ready. Put the skinny tire bikes in the shed for the winter and dusted off the Norco (a Canadian bike company) Bigfoot with it's big 26x4.8" 45NTH studded Dillinger tires. It sits in the shed during the warm months as I ride my other fat bikes, but the warm months are gone, now. Ride my other fat bikes in the snow, too, but this one gets the call when things turn icy. Also what I ride out on our lake when it ices, over. Yeah, fat biking in the snow and ice is a whole different world, but, remember, fat bikes are what I mainly ride on trails in the summer, too.

Even if you get snow, if the temps aren't that cold I imagine it would melt pretty quickly since the ground probably isn't too cold either. But yes winter is just around the corner. (Though folks in southern California would disagree I suppose, given the heat wave they are having.)

Around here I worry most about borderline rain-snow temps because sometimes the result is ice, either freezing on contact with roads and sidewalks or weighing down tree limbs and knocking out power lines if it is really bad. Ugh, I don't even want to think about it.

My knee feels better -- yesterday there was some pain when I walked down stairs but today it's gone. I will try a short bike ride on Saturday afternoon. Must get out and enjoy the sun while it's here! Sunday is looking rainy all day. We do need the rain, though.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I had a Norco full suspension mountain bike from 2004-8. It was nice, but I sucked at mountain biking and I was pressured into buying a small size, whenI needed an x small. But, I would definitely buy another Norco bike again.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Glad to hear the knee is better, NY. Yeah, ice storms are the worst. We actually had more of them, last winter, than is normal for us. Global warming?

Crankin, I get what you're saying about the mountain biking. It took me a lot of time, patience and getting over some of my fears to get where I am, now, not to mention developing a whole different kind of physical strength. To be sure, mountain biking is really a very different kind of biking than road biking, completely different sport, but I still do both, though mostly the MTB stuff because it's so darn convenient, what with trails right outside the door.

I like Norco. Their bikes are well-researched and designed with good components, but it's mostly their frames that I like on these fat bikes. Norco fat bikes handle very much like regular MTBs. Not at all slow or sluggish as some fat bikes are. Their fat bikes make great year round trail bikes.

Rode the trails late afternoon, yesterday, in a light rain and snow mix. Only sound was the dripping of water off the trees. Actually very pleasant. Reminded me of riding in the winter when I lived in Portland, Or.. Was riding the Pugsley, now rolling with the much more aggressive Nate 26x4 tires which I put on the day, before. Had been riding the very fast rolling Specialized Fast Track Fats - great summer trail and gravel road tire, but a wee bit out of its element in the deep, soft stuff or icy stuff or slick mud, which is what I had when riding yesterday. The Nate's stick like glue when things turn wet. No hesitation or slipping at all on climbs where it would have been too slick to safely walk.

Woke up this morning to a skiff of snow on the ground. I'm ready, though, and the bikes are ready.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 10-28-2017 at 07:31 AM.

Rode 25 miles with our friends who are in from western MA. We have a time schedule today, as we are going into Boston later, so we stayed in Concord and Carlisle. It's beautiful out, 55-64 degrees and mostly sunny. There just seems like there's been a huge increase in cars, especially on the weekends. I think Concord Academy must have been having a visiting day, as it was like rush hour by there. Still, nice, and nice to be riding with friends. And, any 25 mile ride in the other direction would have involved big climbs. I did take my base layer off, though at lunch. Yes, in the bathroom at Ferns Country store.
    Probably won't ride tomorrow, maybe just time for a walk. We'll see.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I visited family in NC from Oct. 18-29th and just flew back into the Orlando area yesterday afternoon, bringing cold weather and a north wind with me! No cycling the entire time I was there, since I had none of my bikes, but I did walk as often as I could, did yard work, and did a nice mountain hike with my brother. Today it was chilly, plus I had an orthodontist appointment and errands to run, so no riding. Hoping to get back out tomorrow. Depending on what time we get going, it may well be my first time in leg warmers and long-sleeve jersey this fall! Supposed to get back to normal weather by week's end, which means shorts and short sleeves. I can't wait!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I ended up not riding this weekend. Kind of a long story. There is a Smithsonian Environmental Research facility located on a river that feeds into the Chesapeake Bay. It's about an hour from my house (by car). They have a few short hiking trails that are open to the public, a dock where you can put in a canoe or kayak, plus lectures and volunteer opportunities. They also lead short canoe trips (2-3 hours) on weekends during the warmer months, and this past Saturday was the last one for the year. I had planned to do it with a friend, with the idea that I would bring my bike and do a ride from there after the canoeing. I had a route all planned and a cue sheet ready. But my friend had to cancel at the last minute and I was too tired when I got home on Friday to get the bike stuff together. So I decided to do the canoe trip and then find a place for lunch and figure out what to do for the afternoon.

The weather was absolutely perfect, not cold in the shade or hot in the sun. We had a nice time canoeing on the river and a creek that fed into it. After we finished I decided to check out part of one of the hiking trails that went along the river. I ended up staying for more than three hours. They had benches at various points, and I kind of lollygagged, hanging out in one area for a while, taking pictures and just sitting, then heading up the trail a ways and stopping at the next bench, etc. It was very pleasant. I plan to go back again. I also want to plan some bike ride that stop there, since there are picnic tables as well as a visitors center with rest rooms and water.

Gone but not forgotten:

That sounds really nice, NY. Sometimes you just go with the flow!
    The rain started earlier on Sunday than we thought, and when our guests left, it was already sprinkling/misting, so we went out for a 3 mile walk with our hiking rain jackets on. Rain and leaves on the road are a bad combo for riding. The storm that came through did pretty bad damage all around here, with towns just 10 miles NW of here still without power/no school today.
    I was planning on doing a club ride tomorrow, 37 miles in an area I am not so familar with. But, my hair cut/color appt. is at noon, not 4 pm, so that totally jacks that plan. I will go out in the AM, which will be freezing, but I am committed to at least 20 miles. We are going up to Portland, Maine this weekend, for my birthday, and planning on taking bikes. Forecast looks a little conflicting from various sources, but we have route planned and will decide based on the forecast on Thursday night.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

The canoeing sounds fun, NY! Don't blame you for the change in plans.

Did my first ride in two weeks (exactly) today -- our most usual 33-mile loop. Felt good and averaged same as before my trip, so I guess I didn't lose as much fitness as I thought I might have. I was able to wear shorts along with two layers on top (a heavier short-sleeve jersey over a lightweight base layer) and, after a brief chilly period at the start, warmed up and was comfortable for the rest of the ride. It was 60 when we left, with a north wind, and 72 upon our return. Chilliest ride since we've been back in Florida (got here in early Aug.) Low humidity too!

After the ride, we enjoyed a lovely dip in the (now heated!) pool here in the RV park. The water felt great, but the breeze upon exiting felt a bit cool! Glad they turned the pool heater on, or I'd be done with the pool until April. Glad we moved to this park, as the one we stayed in previously, just down the road, does not heat their pool, so it's too cold for us until April.

Tomorrow I plan to do my workout with light weights, then a mix of yoga and Pilates, as I haven't done that in 2 weeks either. Back to the bike trail (and warmer temps) Thurs/Fri. Glad to be back to it!
    Emily

Going on a week, now, of highs in the 30s with snow showers or sudden snow squalls with wind. Forecast is the same for the next week, but with maybe some snow accumulation. My trails have a skiff of snow on them, every morning, now, but it usually melts off by late afternoon. That, of course, will change as the temps continue to slide downwards. Had hoped for some more moderate November weather for the sake of some road riding, but road work is very cold with the rain/snow and, especially, the winds. At least back in the woods, you're not as exposed to the wind and you're going slower, too, so that helps. Still riding the trails, every day, of course. Only missed on day of riding in October. Hope to do as well in November. Hey, it's November, tomorrow!
    Last edited by north woods gal; 10-31-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Still riding the trails, every day, of course. Only missed on day of riding in October. Hope to do as well in November.
    Good for you, NWG! That's quite a streak!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Did a fast road ride on my CX yesterday after work since that was the only bike I had with me. Hurried home to get candy ready for the Trick or Treaters. Hadn't done that in years since few bother with my back street. Ugh. Not one person, child or adult, showed up. They all go to ritzy neighborhoods hoping to get the 'best' candy. Grrr. I brought the candy in to work, and plopped it on the desk of the woman who talked me into doing that.

It was pretty funny. Now the basket is on the conference table. Little bags with Almond Snickers, Peanut Butter Cups, Take 5, and Kit Kats.

I really give the 'best' candy. Too bad no one bothers to come and get it.
    Once in my entire adult life I had trick or treaters stop at my home. It was when I was in college, living in a house off campus. We had no candy so we gave them money (coins). Then we ran out and bought candy but didn't need it.

Most other years I've lived in apartments. But my parents have noticed fewer kids coming to their house in recent years. Just not many young children in their neighborhood anymore.

Gone but not forgotten: