Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

September riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wow! Where did the summer go? Did have a very summer like day, though, yesterdays with highs in the upper 70s. Really was hard to call it quits on the trail riding and come in to make supper. Highs, tomorrow, only in the 50s, so glad I got out and enjoyed what may be our last taste of summer. Leaves are falling, now, so at some point I will go out and rake the worst of it off parts of the trail. Good-bye, Summer. Will miss you.

Got back from our trip to Philadelphia around 10 pm last night. Exhausted... our granddaughter's birthday party was out further west, where we did some better areas for riding; however, we only saw 2 cyclists! The remnants of Harvey came through Saturday night, though it was clearing on Sunday. My son and family who live here came down on Saturday night, so it was a very rare occasion for my whole family to be together.
    Today is beautiful. We went out for a 20 mile ride, I kind of wanted to do a long ride, but DH is now putting in a new front door and since we have no food in the house, I guess I have to do some meal planning and go shopping.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh yes, it is September! Hard to tell in Florida, so far...

29 miles today. Bike path was busier than normal with all the folks off work and kids out of school, but the roads to get there and back, and the crossings, were much less busy than usual, so it was really a wash. Tomorrow if I can manage 30 miles, I'll have 2000 for the year. Not where I expected to be in early September, but given everything that happened to me this year and 3.5 months off the bike during the spring & summer, I'll take it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, that's quite an accomplishment with all you've had to endure. Very impressive.

Been in the high 80’s this past week which is unusual for the beach area this time of year or actually anytime. Back to the usual low/mid 70’s this week. I rode into downtown L.A. to do some photography and inland temps got into the high 90’s. (stopping at Stumptown coffee twice for their chocolate cold brew and Urth caffe for a green tea boba helped) Being the weekend there was much less traffic, especially in the old industrial areas, and I also do a lot of alley riding when downtown especially in the art district where a lot of street art is. So it was just an enjoyable way of getting around. 38 miles total. Alex and I went out rollerblading before sunrise this morning and enjoyed watching the awakening of a new day together and then going for breakfast.

From my ride into downtown

and back to the beach
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 09-04-2017 at 02:52 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

As always, love love love your photos, Rebecca.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I woke up really early, so another "dark ride." My back is reacting to the 5 hours sitting in the car on Sunday, I probably should have rested, but it looks like tomorrow will be rainy, so no group ride, or any other ride, most likely. It's really warm and humid out. I had arm warmers on, which I pulled down, near the end of my ride. I kind of did an aimless ride of ten miles, with plenty of hills. I've come to the conclusion that these early morning rides were easier when I lived on the other side of town, in that they were flat, until I had to climb the hill to get to my house. Now, it's flat out my door, but any ride I do is full of rollers and small hills. At least that makes it easier for me to justify only riding 10 miles! This morning I was out the door at 5:05, so early, that it was realy quiet out. But, in the 12 years I've been riding at this time, it has become busier and busier.
    Tomorrow I am going to rejoin the health club I went to right after I got out of school, 6 years ago. Looking forward to twice a week, killer bootcamp, which my aging body severely needs. The ritzy club I just left kept cancelling the early morning classes, except for spin, which I only go to in the dead of winter.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

@ salsa....
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

We also had rain on Saturday from Harvey, nothing major but not a pleasant day to be outdoors. I visited relatives in Charlottesville for a Labor Day "cookout" which was mostly indoors. I'm sure some of my friends went out for a bike ride, but I was glad that I had other plans that day. I got home late, slept late on Sunday and went out for a late afternoon bike ride. I decided to do an out-and-back on a rail trail that I used to ride often. Since I haven't been on it in a while, it was a chance to see some changes that have been made -- some good changes to eliminate busy at-grade intersections, some that really are intended to speed up car traffic and do not improve trail safety, plus some new development next to the trail. The main reason I don't use it anymore is that it's become too crowded as more homes are built near it -- good for the people living there, not good for someone who just wants to ride a long distance. Except there are still plenty of people who think the trail is a good place for time-trialing and have no concept of how to pass others safely. Really it would be a nice trail if there weren't so many jerks on it. But since I started late in the day, I saw fewer and fewer jerks as my ride went on.

There are some long unshaded sections on this trail which are not good for hot sunny days but were okay on Sunday, especially since I started after 3 pm. I wasn't sure how far I'd ride, but ended up going all the way to the western terminus before turning around. In all I rode 54 miles. This trail is basically flat, but there are sections of 2-3% slope that last for several miles. For much of the upward sloping sections I used a gear that was just hard enough to make my legs work, so I was pretty tired out by the end. It was good workout.

On Monday our bike club had our annual century ride. We had a good day for it, in terms of weather. I volunteered as SAG driver for the late shift, from 11 am to the end of the picnic. There weren't too many people who needed help, which was good. One person did crash and was injured, but thankfully it was not too serious. I was in motion quite a bit, stationed at one rest stop until it closed at 1:30, then driving part of the course to make sure there were no stragglers, heading to the last rest stop to help break it down, then to the picnic. In all there were more than 900 riders. I think everything went smoothly overall, though I know there will be debriefing and reviewing of rider comments in order to address any weak spots for next year.

There was one person who needed a ride back to the start from the rest stop at mile 62 because his Di2 battery died and he was stuck in too hard a gear. I'm at a point where I have lights to recharge after every ride and my Garmin needs to be charged every 75-80 miles. I am glad I don't have to worry about charging my derailleur, too.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

NY, you have to be an idiot to not know that your Di2 needs to be recharged. I know there were issues with some of the first models, but my DH has had his for 3 years. He rides 2-3K a year and really only has to charge it once, although he does do it twice. First a yellow light comes on, then a flashing red light, then a red light. Of course, you have to look at it, to check! I would not have gotten it, if there were issues and mine is a better model than my DH's, since they have made improvements. So, I would say, user error.
    My Garmin stays plugged in all of the time, except when I am using it on the bike. I have 2 rear lights (the same model), that I interchange and charge after a week or so. That way, I always have one fully charged and ready to go. I have 2 different kinds of front lights. One is very heavy duty and if I use it in true darkness, like my 5 AM rides, on high, it has about 2 hours of use. However, I am rarely out for more than an hour in true darkness, and if I switch it to the lower setting, it more than doubles the time. I use it on flash mode, for late fall and winter daytime riding. My other light, which I use for daytime rides in the spring, summer, and early fall, is always on flash, so it lasts about 5 rides or more, depending on the length.
    It poured today. My group ride was cancelled yesterday evening, due to the forecast. I did go to the new/old gym, signed up, and stayed for a step class, with some intervals with weights. I sweated like crazy. Friday I will go to an early morning boot camp, then co-lead the Friday morning ride. It's scheduled through September, but I can only do 2 more of them, after tomorrow. My women's group is starting back up on the 29th. It's only an hour and 45 minutes, so as it gets colder, I can ride after lunch, when I get home from work.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

re: the Di2 guy, I felt bad for him but also did feel that it was a self-inflicted problem due to incomplete ride preparation. Which of course happens to all of us at one time or another -- it can be easy to overlook or forget something. He was also very impatient to be returned to the ride start and not happy that instead of taking him directly there we shuttled him to another rest stop so another driver could take him the rest of the way. The system we used was not necessarily the fastest way to get one rider back to the start but it was the best way for us to support all riders who needed help over the entire route. But I felt like he expected us to be a personal taxi service. Anyway.

I also have different lights for day and night rides. I try to take all lights off the bike as soon as I get home and charge them right away. After each is recharged I either put it back on the bike or into a big plastic bag that I keep in the duffel bag with all my bike gear so it won't get lost. With the Garmin, I charge it and put it right back on the bike so I won't forget or lose it.

We had rain here today too. I think it might be gone now but the roads are still wet. I decided not to try to ride my bike tonight -- tomorrow I'm taking a furlough day and the forecast looks good so I'm going to join a weekly club ride. I might cut it short, though -- the planned route is 39 miles, which is a bit much for me given that I'm planning to do a 50-miler on Saturday and I'm trying to not to overdo things and make the torn ankle tendon worse.

Gone but not forgotten:

5 straight days of rain squalls, gloom, mist and temps in the 50s for a high. Don't mind the 50s, but, as a lot of up here in the north woods, do, I suffer from a bit of depression for lack of sunshine. Having lived all across the country, though, I've discovered that no place is perfect, so I can put up with a little gloom. Really am blessed to live in such a beautiful place as my north woods.

Have been riding the trails and a little on pavement, too, despite the rain. Riding in the rain is a luxury from having trails right outside my door and some excellent, very low traffic pavement riding, too, also right out my door. If things get really nasty, I can bail out, quick, and get back to the house. Rarely rode in the rain unless I had to when living in the city.

I'm thinking it will be an early color season for us, with some color already on the trees. Definitely see more leaves laying on the trails, each time I go out, too. I'll drag a rake behind me to tear off the worst of it before the snow falls. The trails really do disappear under the leaves. I could probably run a mower down the trails or use a leaf blower, but I HATE any powered stuff on my trails other than people power.

Given I have a choice of fat bikes and trail bikes to ride - and I do alternate them on a daily basis - I'm constantly amazed at the difference in feel between my aluminum trail/fat bikes and my steel trail/fat bikes. Oh, the aluminum bikes I have are truly excellent in all regards. They have very sophisticated and up to date geometry and handle like a dream, but there's still something about the classic steel that I love. Just hard for me to love an aluminum bike, the way I love steel, though. I could sell off my aluminum bikes and not lose any sleep over it, but the Surly Krampus and my beloved Surly Pugsley and my old pal, my Kona 26er, no way. When I really need one of those "make me smile" kind of rides, it's one of the Surlys.

I am seeing color in leaves here too, but it's brown, like they're dying. Don't know if that means they're diseased or if it's too much/not enough rain. I am downright worried that we'll have an early and cold winter. With office consolidation going on at work I don't know if I'll be able to use my light box there like I did last year.

So you'd think I'd be outside right now getting some sun. But no, when the alarm went off this morning I turned it off and went back to sleep. I've just had too many nights lately with only 4-5 hours of sleep. So no club ride for me today. There's too much traffic for an afternoon ride so I will go out tonight. I'm trying to be productive and watch training videos for work but they are so dull. Not sure what I will do this afternoon. Maybe go through my winter bike clothes and get them ready since I will probably need toe covers and tights tonight and this weekend. In early September!

===

grrrrrr I decided to give up on the training videos and spend a quiet afternoon getting stuff done around the house before going out to ride tonight. But the stomping elephant upstairs neighbor came home very early [insert string of expletives in all caps here]. I had just downloaded the latest Foo Fighters song from their new album and am now playing it on repeat at a high volume. I can do this all day.... anyway, cycling related, I finally got around to ordering a new Road ID. I wanted to update the contact info and also tweak the medical info. My old one has a fabric "sport" band which is very dirty. The new one has the silicone band with the new pin tuck closure. In orange.

I'm kinda meh about the new Foos songs that I've heard so far. They don't grab me right away, but grow on me slowly. Apparently this album was produced by someone new. It sounds like it.
    Last edited by ny biker; 09-07-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Gone but not forgotten:

In addition to my near daily commutes, I rode the 66 mile "Willcox Flyer" ride Saturday. I'll post a few pictures:

Looking southeast toward the Chiracahua Mountains

Untitled by Sharon Goldwasser, on Flickr
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Yucca plant

Untitled by Sharon Goldwasser, on Flickr
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143