Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey

Harvey

To disable ads, please log-in.

The flooding in Texas from this hurricane is unreal. I hope anyone here who is in the path of the storm is okay.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Me, too. Have a brother down in Austin. The storm's been downgraded and it's now just all the rain and flooding. He's in no immediate danger in that regard, though.

So much rain! I just read 20-30 inches already and it may only be halfway finished. The photos are incredible -- flood waters up to a stop sign on a runway at Hobby Airport, and almost as high as exit signs on a highway. And a photo of seniors in a nursing home, sitting in waist-deep water. I can't imagine what it must be like.

First responders who are specially trained in swift water rescue are on their way now from my area, and from others around the country. I'm actually surprised that they didn't deploy sooner.

Glad your brother is okay.

===

ETA: I just read that all 28 of FEMA's urban search and rescue teams have been deployed -- for the first time since 9/11.

Beyond the immediate effects, the risk to life and health and the need to feed and house so many who have been flooded out of their homes, it will take so long to clean up and get people's lives back to normal. It's so terrible when storms like this happen.
    Last edited by ny biker; 08-27-2017 at 04:56 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

The physical, financial and emotional aspect, especially for the elderly, disabled and poor, can be overwhelming in disasters like this. My prayers for a strength of spirit to help get through the immediate and aftermath

We also made donations today to the Houston Food Bank and Portlight, which does wonderful work in giving needed assistance to those with disabilities and the vulnerable elderly during disasters.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Me, too. Have a brother down in Austin. The storm's been downgraded and it's now just all the rain and flooding. He's in no immediate danger in that regard, though.
    The whole Austin area is doing relatively well - pretty much just the overflowing of the usual creeks and the usual road crossings. Of course, the rivers and lakes will will be overflowing for a while.

I used to live in Houston and flooding is a way of life there. But I've never seen anything like this current flooding. My heart goes out to them...
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite - my "go fast, go long" road bike
    1997 DiamondBack Expert - old road bike currently serving duty as a gravel bike
    1989 Klein Pinnacle - classic unsuspended mountain bike

To have this devastation come only 12 years after Katrina and Rita... I cannot imagine what it must be like to live through something like this. My prayers for all impacted, which is probably a much larger number than they yet know.

Alex found out a good friend has 4 ft of water in her house in Houston...most likely with more to come. Even though they are exhausted, and scared, she, her partner and their pets are safe, dry, and staying with a friend after a boat rescue. I can't imagine going through something like what so many are because of harvey.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to

I can't even imagine it.... I made a donation to one of the general charity funds listed on CNN. This will take years. And being firmly convinced of the evidence for global climate change, I think we will continue to see more and more extreme weather events taking place.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I agree, AZ.
    However, I am mostly angry that the representatives of Texas are the same ones who denied funding for the victims of Sandy. It was so obviously intended to show no compassion for the east coast. Massachusetts sent every team of water rescue people we have, as well as others. This is not an indictment of the victims, in any way, just a comment that senators and representatives felt the need to politicize a natural disaster that occurred where I live. That does not seem to be happening now. This is worse, but I suspect the people in NJ, who waited 2-5 years to get help rebuilding don't care.
    Last edited by Crankin; 08-29-2017 at 04:28 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    And being firmly convinced of the evidence for global climate change, I think we will continue to see more and more extreme weather events taking place.
    I see a lot of the climate change denial structure as low empathy and high dominance with their seeing a threat to their current societal and profit structure....with others too easily believing their misinformation.

Concerning the devastation of Harvey I also find it interesting that two-thirds of the population of the Netherlands, including most residents of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague, live on flood-prone land, much of it below sea level…and they have spent the money and done the research to have an efficient flood prevention infrastructure that works well while the U.S. seems to care more about relief operations than well done and planned prevention infrastructure. Hopefully the continuing more invasive storms will make people more prone to join a constructive conversation about building the needed infrastructure and moving away from the causes of climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I agree, AZ.
    However, I am mostly angry that the representatives of Texas are the same ones who denied funding for the victims of Sandy. It was so obviously intended to show no compassion for the east coast. Massachusetts sent every team of water rescue people we have, as well as others. This is not an indictment of the victims, in any way, just a comment that senators and representatives felt the need to politicize a natural disaster that occurred where I live. That does not seem to be happening now. This is worse, but I suspect the people in NJ, who waited 2-5 years to get help rebuilding don't care.
    Couldn't agree more, Crankin. %*&$#@ Ted Cruz!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I agree with all the above comments about denial and about the issues with the Texas members of Congress. It's just sad for all those who are now homeless and for all the people who will suffer in the future as these extreme weather events happen more frequently.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Yes, when wil people see the connection between increased severe weather and climate change?
    Now, gas prices will go up. Maybe we'll see more people on bikes, as we did in 2008.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post
    It's just sad for all those who are now homeless and for all the people who will suffer in the future as these extreme weather events happen more frequently.
    agree....i do see blessings in the many acts of random kindness, caring and support in disasters like Harvey though. I’m a believer that kindness and caring begets kindness and caring….and acts of paying it forward are good for all.

But Republicans are just mean.... they do not understand kindness, compassion, or anything other than their own selfish ideas. We can support the victims, but it will not change the essential fact that a large # of people in our government, who have the potential power to really allocate resources to stop climate change and educate people about it, will not. No amount of compassion changes this essential fact.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura