Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: August Riding

To disable ads, please log-in.

Looking good, Emily. That's a very respectable amount of miles after coming back from injury!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Congrats Emily!!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Hey, Emily, that one made my day and it's just starting. Way to go, girl. So good to know you're back and riding, again, after that kind of injury. Very impressive.

Did some trail work with both of my vintage 26" MTBs, yesterday. I do this every now and then to keep them tuned and ready to go. Yeah, they are tooth rattlers compared fat tire bikes, but they are so quick and agile that it takes some adjustment to my timing through the turns and climbs. Quite different than the fat tire stuff. On sandy sections, yup, plenty of fishtailing with the slimmer tires, but just a matter of knowing how to deal with it, same as with any trail challenge.

One of the bikes is my hardtail aluminum Trek 8000 and the other is my older fully rigid steel Kona. Good side by side contrast between the feel aluminum and the feel of steel. Not that the aluminum was in any way nasty, but, even without a suspension fork, the steel felt like the sweeter ride, especially out on the pavement, which I also rode for the sake of comparison. Fun day with the old bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by north woods gal View Post
    Hey, Emily, that one made my day and it's just starting. Way to go, girl. So good to know you're back and riding, again, after that kind of injury. Very impressive.
    Thanks! I actually thought of you as the heat and humidity here is rather overwhelming, even after being in NC this summer, which is no slouch on the heat and humidity front! I was surprised to see many other cyclists out on the bike path yesterday. We got out at 9 and finished up around 11, and I figured most riders would be done by 9. Guess we aren't the only ones who take our time getting going in the morning! Fortunately, as long as I kept moving, it was tolerable in the morning (wouldn't do it in the afternoon!), especially since much of the path is shaded...thank the gods!

Glad you're enjoying your various MTBs!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Yay Emily.

I've been absent a while, but riding lots. Near daily commutes- not today, but most days. I rode my 99th commute on Tuesday and hope to do #100 tomorrow.

I'll check in again soon.

Happy riding to all.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I rode! I rode! I rode!
    good on you!!!!.......i'm slower getting back than you but hey it's all part of our journeys
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Hello, rebeccaC.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Hello, rebeccaC.
    ((HUG)) to you.......
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

I rode +100 miles last week, did my early AM ride Monday and then proceeded to have a flare up of my stomach issues. I so wanted to do my group ride Wednesday, and it was a perfect weather day. But, I needed to chill. DH worked from home and we took a short, 2 mile walk.
    So now, I am leading a ride tomorrow with another woman and we have been turning people away, after our limit of 10. Of course, it is going to rain from 3 AM through 1:00 pm. We will probably cancel tonight, as the ride starts at 10. Sigh...
    The only exercise I've done beside the walk was my tabata class yesterday. I had planned to take a rest day today, so my legs are fresh for leading tomorrow, but I may ride this afternoon. And speaking of gyms, I am going back to the no-frills (i.e. cheap and not so clean) Gold's Gym next month, because my club is now cancelling any class that doesn't regularly get 8-10 people. They don't understand that at 5:30 in the morning, getting 3-5 people is good. So, my core and balance class is already gone and I am not sure tabata will make it. All they have is spin, and I abhor that, except in the dead of winter. I am going to Gold's for the 2X a week tabata/boot camp done by a very professional younger woman, who is now doing fitness stuff as her full time career. Gold's is 600.00 a year and right now we are paying 180.00 a month for both of us. It's not worth it, DH rarely goes to the gym and they are definitely catering to a different demographic. I think I was in that demographic when I belonged to this club 98-2009, but I am done.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Had some heavy storms, yesterday, but still squeezed in some trail work between storms. Nice to be able to check the local radar for windows of riding opportunities. What makes trail riding possible for me under these conditions is the luxury of having my own trails right in my backyard. Originally made the trails for a variety of practical reasons, but being able to still ride on stormy days like this has been an unexpected bene.

The other thing that makes my trail riding doable on these very wet and stormy days is the fat bike. The big wide tires really spread out my weight and leave very little in the way of a "footprint" on a soggy trail. Our pet deer actually leave a much deeper print in the soft stuff. Definitely a shallower print than any human footprint, especially a lugged sole with a hiking boot. Even Star, our Border Collie and constant trail companion, leaves a deeper foot print. I really like the environmentally friendly aspect of riding fat tire bikes out on the trail. Even ride across a small section of our lawn to link up between sections of the trail without any damage to the lawn. Pretty neat.

This one is my muddy day bike for trail riding. It's my Salsa Blackboro. It has the widest footprint of any of my fat bikes, thanks to also having the widest rims (rim width makes a difference on actual tire width) and those big 4.8" tires. For the same reason, it's also my most capable fattie for deep snow riding. The big Salsa is no speed demon on hard pack, but in rainy years like this one, sees a lot of year round use.
    Last edited by north woods gal; 08-11-2017 at 08:07 AM.

That's a cool looking bike, NWG! It's so strange to see a snow pic, but I know that's not from real time.

Did 25 miles yesterday -- bike path and road. It's so nice to be back on the bike! I'm a little slower than last spring but about the same as when I started riding down here last winter, so I don't think I've lost a ton of fitness. What helped was all the hills in our NC campground, especially once we moved our motorhome up a steep one. I hauled our laundry up that a few times, and every walk we took required hoofing it up, so I think my aerobic capacity stayed fairly stable.
    Emily

I am mad! I led a 33 mile ride today, which was abruptly ended at mile 13, when my shifter cable broke. AMC always requires 2 leaders, so I knew the group was fine with the other person, but I was feeling good and the group was nice. Amazingly, I texted DH, who was 1/4 a mile away, on his bike! He jerry rigged the rear derailleur, so I could get home, where we found a whole plastic piece missing. The internal cable routing is fussier. So, we went to the LBS, to see if they had the part, but DH was already trying to convince me to get Di2. I refused to get electronic shifting when I bought the bike. Then, when we went to France, I had it on my rental. I liked it, but the earth didn't move. Long story short, I am switching over. Personally, I think it's a lot of $ to do this, but DH says now he won't ever have to change my cables again.
    Now watch, when I go to ride my Guru tomorrow, something will break. I did have 2 nice emails from other riders, thanking me, which was really nice.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Bummer, Crankin! So sorry that happened to you. My DH had a shifter cable break not long ago, and I've had it happen as well. No fun at all when it messes up your ride.
    Emily

Decided to go hiking today! I haven't been on a hike since April, as I didn't want it to interfere with training for my bike trip to Spain, and then because of knee issues from bike crashes. It was nice to be in the woods and mostly shade, in a new local place. Told DH to put the pedals on my Guru, since it has been pedal-less since we went to Spain. I will probably just commute tomorrow, as i have a feeling legs will be toast from hiking 4 miles.
    I got 5 thank yous from the riders in my group, which was a record. They loved the route, but I didn't have the heart to tell them I stole it from someone in another club.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Rode the bike path + roads there and back the past two mornings. 26.7 miles yesterday and 29.0 miles today. Super hot and sweaty, of course; this is Florida in the summer! Still, I'm not complaining; it's just great to be back out on the bike!
    Emily